Starbucks or plain Coffee?

My wife used to work at Starbucks, so I'm kinda biased. JT said that they are pretty inconsistant around here, and here's why. If it's in a B&N, the airport, or a theme park, it's not a REAL Starbucks. It's a franchise. My wife ordered a latte at a Barnes & Noble Starbucks once, and about flipped out. The girl behind the counter was doing it all wrong, so we went down the street to the shop she used to work at.
smile.gif

I used to bring my CFI bags of the stuff all the time. Personally, I really on Coke to get my caffeine fix in the mornings, but I like venti caramel creme frapuccinos.

My old roommate did the espresso bean thing. We made him stop since he started turning into Cornholio all the time.

I don't know about that 20 second thing there for cost comparison. Those that are addicted must know, but what does that foo-foo stuff that many of you buy cost nowadays? About $4-5. So you do that for a weel, and that'll give you $30 or so. I know people that just HAVE to have the stuff every day, and it is usually more than one cup. Anyhow, $30 is around 30 min or so in a small rental. So don't drink coffee for a week, and fly for half hour. Sounds like a much better deal to me.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You know, Dunkin Donuts coffee is liquid crack. But if I drop by the Boston Dunkin Donuts, I'm going to have a glazed-donut attack and five thousand calories and a diabetic seizure later, it's just not worth it.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

At least Dunkin Donuts makes plain donuts. You want a diabetic-cholesterol siezure, try Krispy Kreme sometime. PURE SUGAR.

PLEASE if you ever come to my seminar, DO NOT BRING KRISPY KREMES!

Only southerners could like Krispy Kreme, probably came from New Orleans. Who else could come up with begnets (sp? pronounced "Ben-Yays"), which are powdered sugar sprinkled on fried dough. Yeah that's health food.

No wonder New Orleans has the highest incidence of obesity in the world!

Actually JT Krispy Kreme comes from Winston-Salem NC. My mom is from there and KK is an iconic food to them. KK is the only doughnut. My grandmother tells the story of walking to the original KK shop in Winston a few times a week. Amazingly she is in pretty good health and not even remotely overweight.

KK is good. Yes pure sugar but good.

The stuff I get shipped to me from Hawaii runs me about $40 a month for two pounds of the stuff, so on a daily basis, it's cheaper than a boring old cup of joe from a restaurant.

And it's good stuff. Starbucks is nice, but this is just so much better.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else do the chocolate espresso beans for a treat besides me? haha

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh HELL yeah, Kristie!!! I knew I liked you!
wink.gif

Put me squarely in the Starbucks/Barnie's crowd. Doesn't make a difference to me - they're both good.

Oh, and the best coffee I ever had was Kona. Had a buddy whoes parents sent him a pack from Hawaii and he didn't drink it. Best I've ever had.

Wait, doesn't anyone know about Peet's Coffee? It's the best! I mail order it every month. But then again I am way into coffee. I have a Rancillo Silva espresso maker here at home and trying to convince the boss at the flight school that we need one there. Once you begin drinking espresso and/or americano coffees, mmmmm, you never go back.
tongue.gif

Doug, there is a Cup O' Joes here too, on 2nd South, 300 West, just strides from the Wyndam. It is a great place, and i think he has Wifi there now too.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and the best coffee I ever had was Kona. Had a buddy whoes parents sent him a pack from Hawaii and he didn't drink it. Best I've ever had.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go here if you want some. They are my source and they will ship it to you.

Seeing how Kona blend here costs like $30 a pound....

Koa Coffee

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know about that 20 second thing there for cost comparison.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking a cheap cup at 99 cents vs a decent twin and instructor at $180/hr. 99 cents = about 20 seconds of flight. And that's why I pick up my IFR clearance BEFORE starting the engines!
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You know, Dunkin Donuts coffee is liquid crack. But if I drop by the Boston Dunkin Donuts, I'm going to have a glazed-donut attack and five thousand calories and a diabetic seizure later, it's just not worth it.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug, you can have all the "Double D's" up here. I am sick of seeing them. I can't wait to not hear about the "Dunkin Donut's Center", and not have everybody's directions say "turn left at the Double D, then hook a right at the next D Squared. It's right next to a DD." For those of you who don't know, there are DD's at just about every street corner here and NONE of them can figure out a plain black coffee.

I prefer my coffee black, and, of course their liquid "fuu-fuu" coffee crack tastes gross to me. Like I always tell my wife, as I buy her a $4.50 coffee that they put ice in, why don't I just leave my coffee out all night and you can have it the next morning. It's the same thing. Okay, so they put ice in it and add flavoring. I know I'll get flamed over this, but it was worth it.
grin.gif
End of rant.

Yes, I grew up in the south and love Krispy Kreme glazed donuts, so please don't hold it against me.
grin.gif
They have to be fresh, though. I don't care for their coffee either, though. I guess drinking enough Navy coffee will ruin anybody. If you can't chew your coffee, then it's not strong enough.
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
We know the owners of the place now along with the "wine" girl who happens to be single & pretty -> and she knows her wine's!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahem .. cough, cough. Nudge, nudge.
cool.gif

Ah, #@ç! it, I'm too poor.
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha.....liquid crack...thats funny doug...i was really rollin on that one

-Seth

Doug and Kristie, I am the one who's wife opened the shop about three months ago in Wenden, Az. It is called Ingredients. It is a yellow walled, rock faced building located next to the gas station in Wendon. To get there take Rt. 60 to Wickenburg and then continue passed the Wickenburg airport. You then continue about 40 miles southwest of Wickenburg. The first town you will go through will be Aguilla. 22 miles after that is thriving Wenden.

We are open Wednesday through Sunday 0800-1700. We have a great lunch menu with awesome coffee and espresso (yes I am biased). All of our food is sandwich and salad based with paninis and soup. We would love to see ya.

The offer still stands for the both of you for free lunch and coffee. Just mention this site when you go in and let them know who you are. My name is Justin and my wife is De Vona. I am usually out there on Saturday and Sunday (slave labor
grin.gif
) We would love to have you come by.

We use a local roaster out of Phoenix for our coffee. Their company is called Areopagus and they are located just north of Thunderbird road on 51st ave. They have great coffee and you can take a look at their website at www.areopaguscoffee.com.

I have learned volumes about coffee since opening this shop. It is amazing and a little overwhelming but it all comes down to those that enjoy coffee and those that don't.

I worked the graveyard shift for four years and learned to love coffee. At first just to stay awake. Eventually I grew to really enjoy it. Grinding your own beans or getting coffee that was freshly ground is far superior to Folgers, Tasters Choice and the rest. And for those true coffee heads out there, try a French Press coffee. Very bold.

Where is that coffee/wine bar at in Scottsdale? I am there all the time and would love to check it out. Hope to see ya soon.

Last night i was gonna meet up with a good friend of mine...and she is a "COFFEE FIEND"....i was talkin to her and told her i would pick up some coffee for her before we met up, (key to her heart
tongue.gif
)....and i got her order blah blah blah.

So i go to CARIBOU (by the way)....and told the nice lady behind the counter...

i need a large cold press with creme and one sweet n' low.

She was drinkin ICE COLD COFFEE!!!! it had ice cubes and everything.

Not only that but the lady knew who it was for too. Then after five minutes of questioning (rather personal questions too
wink.gif
)...i was finally on my way

so the moral of the story..

1)coffee shops wierd me out..
2)I dont drink coffee
3)she drinks way TOO much

-Falcon

I prefer Starbuck's or Dietrich's Coffee... I like being able to order a Mocha and knowing that it will be delicious and satisfying 'til the last drop, like every other Starbuck's cups I've had. Plus, like Doug says, every coffee drink consistantly tastes the same from location to location.

Hey Justin! Thanks for the offer and we took a peek at the atlas and will try and make it real soon! I'm one of those weird guys who likes driving through the desert.

The wine/coffee bar we frequent in Scottsdale is called "Sacred Grounds" at the corner of E. Bell Road and Thompson Peak Parkway, just east of Westworld.

Fantastic owners, exceptionally personable and a fantastic experience.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We know the owners of the place now along with the "wine" girl who happens to be single & pretty -> and she knows her wine's!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahem .. cough, cough. Nudge, nudge.
cool.gif

Ah, #@ç! it, I'm too poor.
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Bell Rd & Thompson Peak... Place is called sacred ground... I may be going there on saturday night since I won't have a valentine's date or nuthin... haha (could introduce you if your interested...)
shocked.gif

She works every evening except for mon & tues... Brunette, prob about 5'6", cute girl but not "snottdale",good personality and her name is Joy....

Wine's are about $5 and up.. coffee's about $3 and up.. they have food too...all very good from what we've sampled!
grin.gif

edit: Didn't know doug just added to the thread.. haha, but i have to admit - the place exudes personality, we really like going there, the food/drink is 110% and the service - impeccible & most importantly, friendly!

Back