Southwest Suspending hiring through 2024....

Well, that was a big left turn, but I'm in.

Those folding lav doors are the devil apparently. I was in the OCC when a customer of size get stuck in one over the Atlantic. The spitball ideas for solving that problem were not very generous to anybody involved.

*sigh*

You have been in the industry long enough, right?

Since 2000:

Dot com bust
9/11
Age 65
GFC
Pandemic

There will always be “something” that is going to set back hiring at airlines. Always.

Correct, which is why I plan my life and finances accordingly, and don't panic the second the market cools. Pilots never cease to amaze me. Hiring slows and everyone says the lost decade is coming again tomorrow. The same pilots that are financial experts, political experts, foreign policy experts, medical experts and more, can't seem to go a day without some doom and gloom coming.

Correct, which is why I plan my life and finances accordingly, and don't panic the second the market cools. Pilots never cease to amaze me. Hiring slows and everyone says the lost decade is coming again tomorrow. The same pilots that are financial experts, political experts, foreign policy experts, medical experts and more, can't seem to go a day without some doom and gloom coming.

Until I hear it from Kit Darby, it’s all BS.

:)

Lol!

Proximately, love your sentiments.

Bigger picture...

Doom and gloom is coming... Hell, it's already here (lots of crabs in the pot don't notice).

Just not in the "aviation" "industry". (which is, of course, one of the main causal agents in our current state of gloom and doom.)

Lol!

Doom and gloom is coming... Hell, it's already here.

Just not in the "aviation" "industry".

Except it isn't doom and gloom. It is the cyclic nature of various industries. If the airline industry craps the bed, it craps the bed. If the economy craps the bed, it craps the bed. Let it actually be here instead of pankicking. I have been listening to pilots for the last 2 years saying the crash is imminent, just so they can be right when it comes. Enjoy the day and stop being so fearful lol...

Except it isn't doom and gloom. It is the cyclic nature of various industries. If the airline industry craps the bed, it craps the bed. If the economy craps the bed, it craps the bed. Let it actually be here instead of pankicking. I have been listening to pilots for the last 2 years saying the crash is imminent, just so they can be right when it comes. Enjoy the day and stop being so fearful lol...
I was talking more about injecting billions of tons of hot gas CO2 into the upper atmosphere - precisely where that kind of thing does the most damage -not just as a greenhouse gas, but as a crazy, stupid heat source.

Pilots have successfully predicted 500 of the last 3 recessions.

This is a great point, and I wasn't trying to say there is a reason to be fearful of the next bad thing. I just have always been financially nervous, for lack of a better term, as my general nature. That being said, I do think there is a portion of the population who thinks the good times will continue forever. The good times may go, and will surely come back. But I hope people have a reasonable plan for the next time there is a bad period. This could probably be said for any industry, if you just look at the last recession as an example. I was very shielded from that one since I was on active duty in the military, and I'd say I was only vaguely aware of it at the time....I wouldn't say I really followed the news about stuff like this much back then as a guy in my mid-20's with no family and no impact to my livelihood. But in hindsight, it was a pretty big deal for a lot of people, and a lot of lines of work. I personally think we dodged it this time, coming out of COVID, but there will be another event. Like you said though, it isn't something we should be putting our energy into stressing about.

Back