Southwest Suspending hiring through 2024....

Hiring is still going on. Retirements are still coming. AA is about to announce an insane aircraft order and they are hiring full bore for retirements. UAL isn't stopping. DAL is slowing but is still hiring a large amount. Atlas, K4, all the regionals etc. are hiring in full swing.

SWA stopping hiring because the Max 7 certification isn't happening anytime soon and that was the growth engine we were hiring for.

But also, yes. The industry is slowing down hiring. Pray it isn't the 90s/2000s model again of "hire till you furlough then furlough till you hire" again.

I was one of the OGs hired at my first major January 18, 1999.

That was six airlines ago.
Here is another thought for you. Setting aside the MAX7 debacle I wonder how much of this is related to the work rules changes in the new contract. Like maybe, and I hate to use this word with our leadership but maybe they are being proactive and thinking the changes that are coming next month will change behavior of the pilot group. With fully rigged open time, POT before STC, and export that is going to make that market way more attractive to people that have been burned in the past.

So perhaps they are wanting to slow things down while we all take the new contract for a test drive.

BTW I had a RON JA and with LCO and it paid an extra 19. So I’m likening this a lot.

I'm working exactly 10 SCR days over the next 2 months thanks to vacation and a VIL.

I won't be surprised to be displaced in August.

I'm convinced this place is 20% of us doing 80% of the flying. It's been said before, but we operate fewer flights than before the pandemic yet have almost 1000 more pilots right?

Here is another thought for you. Setting aside the MAX7 debacle I wonder how much of this is related to the work rules changes in the new contract. Like maybe, and I hate to use this word with our leadership but maybe they are being proactive and thinking the changes that are coming next month will change behavior of the pilot group. With fully rigged open time, POT before STC, and export that is going to make that market way more attractive to people that have been burned in the past.

So perhaps they are wanting to slow things down while we all take the new contract for a test drive.

BTW I had a RON JA and with LCO and it paid an extra 19. So I’m likening this a lot.
I had a reroute on day 2 of a 4 day last week that took a 32tfp trip to 39tfp for less flying and a gentlemanly 11am show on day 3. I’m sold!

Hope you’re right, for a few reasons. I bid reserve in March and I’m hoping to not be used. 😇

Yea but how many Houston to San Antonio's did that pay?
1709248849617.gif

According to my calculations that’s enough for three tacos and shake from the Austin airport.

Not quite enough Jonas bros tickets though.

Yea but how many Houston to San Antonio's did that pay?
I think all airlines should go to TFPs but it should be based on the longest widebody route. Like IAH to SYD and back would be 2 TFPs. Everything shorter will be done in fractions, not decimals. So IAH to SAN would be 1/17th TFP. Both the scheduling and the pay software should not add up those fractions either. The pilots would have to do that. It would be an excellent discriminator when hiring.

This will eventually roll down hill, and FNGs who were sucked into the pilot mills will come out with $120K in debt and no job - at least for a bit.

Fortunately it will hit many of the social media influencers, but it will hurt real people whose lives matter too.

download.gif

I bet the requirement for a four-year degree becomes common again before a type reating requirement.

So is it the Max 7 being delayed or other things? Seems like 2019 all over again but the “experts” seem to think the sky is falling. Especially since Aero Crew 🤦‍♂️ posted that JetBlue closed their window also.

Also over staffed depends on who’s looking at it. Brown said they were overstaffed, which we were and they’re still saying they are a bit but I’m flying a bid period with both months being 83hrs.

International line? If it's domestic, and you don't care where you go, look for lines below guarantee. I know I don't have to tell you that....haha. But if ALL the lines are built above guarantee, then I see your point. I think you live a tad outside range for reserve (ES was on the edge) but if the lines are packed maybe reserve would be a good deal? I commuted to reserve for like 3 years and it was the best deal ever.

Do they have many two week on reserve lines in the Z? They might have done away with that in ONT. Maybe there is no international flying in ONT anymore. Used to be the 10 to 12 top credit lines and most senior stuff was Pac Rim in ONT.

I think all airlines should go to TFPs but it should be based on the longest widebody route. Like IAH to SYD and back would be 2 TFPs. Everything shorter will be done in fractions, not decimals. So IAH to SAN would be 1/17th TFP. Both the scheduling and the pay software should not add up those fractions either. The pilots would have to do that. It would be an excellent discriminator when hiring.

Almost 2 years and I still don't understand how to read my paycheck. It just is what it is, and arrives in my bank account. This would blow my mind, I still don't understand what TFP is, even after having it explained to me.

I just hope I'm not too late to hop on the F9 train. Still planning by end of year... but that now seems even further away.

Waters still luke warm, just be aware, they are pretty heavy in “the pool” of 1000hr wonders. 600 at last sip of the koolaid. Not sure how long the wait for class dates is, and if they're still doing active interviews.

If their new “plans” materialize, i imagine there will be plenty of openings thatll pop up. Hope you live in a base ;) good luck

If you don't have a degree, get one. Less hiring means the mins. are going up! I'm betting a degree requirement will be back on the table across the board, soon.

They cant possibly care about degrees, still gotta be some secret legacy sauce out there *facepalm*….

I'm convinced this place is 20% of us doing 80% of the flying. It's been said before, but we operate fewer flights than before the pandemic yet have almost 1000 more pilots right?

I certainly felt that way on the 190, but there are a number of things driving the increase in staffing; 3 fleet types plus SQ, an extra base with EWR, parking the 190's and spinning the 220's.

Back