Southwest Suspending hiring through 2024....

thepedroid

What do ya'll think.... is this music stopping or is this still just media headlines that are inaccurate due to the industry still having too many FO's?

1709161087347.png

Airlines are feeling overstaffed. That's what happens when you hire for attrition for years. Between MAX delivery issues and future bookings being a bit down, all the airlines are pulling back. All except United, you know, because they don't slow the train down when times get tough, they derail it.

If you don't have a degree, get one. Less hiring means the mins. are going up! I'm betting a degree requirement will be back on the table across the board, soon.
It could have been purely coincidental, but I noticed a lot more calls after I clicked that box across all my applications. And either way I can check that box now if I have to go do something else for some reason.

Alaska has pretty much halted hiring as well. This just shows you how abruptly things can and will change. Many “OG’s” on this site were punching their lottery tickets Sept 10th 2001, I was in 8th grade wondering how to deck out my homeroom binder in Limp Bizkit and EminEm album covers but have listened very carefully to those older and wiser. They know all too well the swiftness of good to bad

The positive side of this is maybe it will stop all of the influencer get rich quick flying airplanes noise.

Type rating requirement for hiring there coming back……you heard it here first. :)

All kidding aside, I can see this happening in approx 6-10 years, once the peak retirements shift from the "Big 3" to everyone else - which should be around 2030... peaking in 2035ish?

SWA stopping hiring because the Max 7 certification isn't happening anytime soon and that was the growth engine we were hiring for.

But also, yes. The industry is slowing down hiring. Pray it isn't the 90s/2000s model again of "hire till you furlough then furlough till you hire" again.

I was one of the OGs hired at my first major January 18, 1999.

That was six airlines ago.

Yeah, but those aren't this - those were part of the MOU and the profit-sharing cliff pullback, weren't they?
Yes, you are correct about that. But also it’s the fact that the planes they ordered are not coming as fast as they were intended to. They also deferred some orders to 2027. Which equals fat on pilots. If they are doing VILs in summer months then it would peak my interest.

SWA stopping hiring because the Max 7 certification isn't happening anytime soon and that was the growth engine we were hiring for.

But also, yes. The industry is slowing down hiring. Pray it isn't the 90s/2000s model again of "hire till you furlough then furlough till you hire" again.

I was one of the OGs hired at my first major January 18, 1999.

That was six airlines ago.

Most of the airlines, although overstaffed, can't really park airplanes and put thousands on the street unless the world crumbles. All of our flights are full, I am sure yours are too. Travel demand is still here, although it has backed off slightly. This might not be a fun lull but this is not a sign of another lost decade. Boeing is effectively stopping growth in its tracks. Airlines are overstaffed because attrition stopped and deliveries are delayed. Both of those are corrected as we speak. At AS, May is expected to be full bore summer flying. My guess is 2025 we get back to hiring but both AS and SWA don't have to overfill classes to account for attrition.

Back