Some Bankruptcy Pointers

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
Unless you've been living under a rock, you probably already know that the company that I work for went into chapter 11 bankruptcy "protection" several years ago.

I thought I'd compile a list of things I learned and probably might benefit you if you're employed by AMR (Eagle or AA).
  • Expect to hear a crazy-assed rumor, daily. 99% of the rumors that I heard when Southernjets went bankrupt did not come to fruition.
  • Expect craploads of upper-level management bonuses. They're going to happen whether you see it or it's done backhandedly, but as much as you shake your fist, they largely don't care what you think. It sucks because you're doing the work, someone else is reaping the rewards.
  • Expect to see a "new savior" come to AMR when things seem the darkest. In all honesty, he's probably been there all along, somewhere on the board and no matter how elegant the speech, it's largely business as usual.
  • Expect to have every Tom, Dick and Harry opine on why your company went bankrupt. Shopping malls, airport shuttle buses, internet websites, even your barber. Forgive them because they do not know any better and most of the crap they're spouting is nothing more than what they heard on the local 7 o'clock news or read on their favorite "newsy" website.
  • The operation is going to break down from time to time because some of your vendors, including hotels, got screwed by other bankrupt airlines and they don't want to be left holding the bag. Catering may or may not show up, your hotel may demand a credit card imprint when checking in for a layover. I've seen some retarded things, some are a pain in the butt, some are maddening to the point where if you has a baseball bat and a video camera, you'd have a top-rated video on YouTube.
  • Don't take any crap from your counterparts at other carriers. If they haven't previously been bankrupt, one day they may and the sooner they realize this, the better. Remember those that support you and the ones that want to opine and preach as if their poop doesn't and will never stink, well, keep notes on that too! :)
  • Don't rely on any single source of information. Your company will tell you what they want you to hear to keep staffing stable. Your union will tell you what they want you to hear for the same reasons as well. Compare, contrast, cross-check, ask questions, question the answers, yadda yadda yadda.
  • This ain't your fault and you can't solve it so resist the urge to jump at every contractual opportunity to "help" because every lost dollar and benefit is tough as hell to recoup and the lower they can wrench down your contract, the more accolades they will get from Wall Street. Even if you're paying to go to work and haven't had a day off in 12 years.
  • Keep your head up. Remember, this isn't your fault and has nothing to do with you personally. Corporate America follows the religion of employees as a "cost of goods sold" and not as an asset or stakeholder in their future success. Perhaps one day we will crawl out of that mentality. But if we don't, well, we'll all be learning Cantonese or Mandarin. (yeah, that's political!)
  • Commit this to memory because it will help: "Those that say they know, do not. Those that DO know, ain't talking."
  • Do NOT expect that cuts and sacrifices, today, will be remembered when you emerge from bankruptcy. Employee goodwill isn't taught at Wharton and besides, the ones that may win concessions from your group will be long gone with their bonuses and the new guys won't give a poop about what you give up.
  • This is probably the most important thing and I can't stress this enough. Keep talking. Everyone has at least one or two people they can call to "shoot the crap" when you get down on things. You're going to need to "talk this out" from time to time and if you need someone to rap to, send me a PM with your number and I'll give you a ring. You're not the first employee of a company going through the bankruptcy process and you're sure in hell not the last, unfortunately.

At this point, I sort of figure we're bound to wind up speaking Mandarin. And I almost don't mind. At least they're honest about having a "top-down" society.

• This is probably the most important thing and I can't stress this enough. Keep talking. Everyone has at least one or two people they can call to "shoot the crap" when you get down on things. You're going to need to "talk this out" from time to time and if you need someone to rap to, send me a PM with your number and I'll give you a ring. You're not the first employee of a company going through the bankruptcy process and you're sure in hell not the last, unfortunately.
And: The most important thing that you can do in your workplace is to operate safely, comfortably, and efficiently. Do not get so down in the aircraft that you have an accident, incident, or pilot deviation. While the company is in bankruptcy protection and possibly going to do something unpleasant to you, neither the airplane nor terra firma know the difference, and the passengers expect (and deserve) the same highest standard of care.

Absolutely. In the slow motion train wreck that was SouthernJet's slide into BK, our incidents skyrocketed. Most likely a combination of some not giving a poop, others emotionally distracted and all of us just pissed off.

Keep the HIMS number in your phone not only for yourself but your coworkers also.

Can you please share what HIMS is. I'm to low on the totem pole to have any idea.

HIMS (Human Intervention Motivation Study) is a substance abuse treatment program for pilots. Basically it's a program that you (well, for the most part, just to keep it simple) voluntarily enter in order to seek treatment for substance abuse and, under controlled circumstances, able to keep your job.

A crap-ton of us drink socially and it's rarely a problem. But when you mix industry strife with the potential to "self medicate" a lot of problems can occur. Basically it's a program which you seek help, are monitored by a HIMS-qualified AME and you have a counselor to help you out with substance abuse.

If you have a problem, it's far better to volunteer yourself for the HIMS program than it is to show up "not in the condition to fly" and risk lives and your employment.

I don't have any statistics other than empirical observation and "heard thru the grapevine" but incidents involving alcohol generally spike during times of industry turmoil.

Dr. Forred is a HIMS-qualified AME, he might be able to answer more specifics on the issue.

More information: http://himsprogram.com/

I
t's a good program and there's no shame in being involved in it or seeking help through it. I have a couple of co-workers that sought help and a couple that are HIMS mentors (basically, someone you can talk to that helps and provides assistance through your treatment) and all are doing great.

I was actually hired at an airline while it was in bankruptcy and spent my first year or so on line under that cloud. The good news is that (mostly) now, airlines are considered too big to fail, and for what ever reason, people with money are always willing to lend it to a floundering airline in the hopes that someday it will make them bank. Because of that, while there probably will be reductions in size, pay and quality of life cuts, it isn't as likely as in the past that the whole thing will just disappear overnight like Eastern or Pan Am. Despite that, the fear of not know if it may actually happen (and this goes for Eagle more than Mainline) can drive one insane. I found the best thing to do was to just keep going to work, do your job, dream about when you get our of BK and the hotels get better again, and try not to worry about the big picture.

Or if you are going to bury yourself in something, rather than turning to alcohol, turn to sex. It worked out for Tiger. Well until his wife found out. So scratch that if you're married.

Or if you are going to bury yourself in something, rather than turning to alcohol, turn to sex. It worked out for Tiger. Well until his wife found out. So scratch that if you're married.

Lol why scratch that if ur married ? Isn't your spouse a great person to have sex with? Assuming you actually like each other. But I think I get what ur saying. Anyways...good advice here.

Back