SkyWest hiring...

Wow. I'm more surprised that ANYBODY would be surprised by this. In a town that constantly refuses....and I mean...kicking and screaming all the way through the courts refuses,... to change the name and charter of the local university (hint: the school mascot is a Confederate soldier], this article is tame by comparison. Google the words, St. George and Dixie.
St. George, (a mormon "saint" btw), the town, since it's founding has held on to the belief that they are some how "brothers in arms" with the Confederate states of the South. You may ask yourself why oh why would a town so far out West think they are a part of the Confederacy? Well it just so happens that the Mormon Bosses thought there might be a cotton shortage in the US during the Civil War. So they actually mandated the creation and settling of the town in order to try and grow cotton as a commodity. Many good folks from Salt Lake City area were "asked" to move down there and set things up. So in a way, they were supporting the Confederate War effort. To this day still going strong but no cotton. In fact, the cotton thing was a total bust. I guess agronomy was not a major at BYU back then.

Compel me Oh Lord.....

I did click on the link. I also read the story. And I just went back and looked again. No source that I can see. So can you point me towards it?

Okay,....What??? Are you serious? What about the 6 people the writer quotes, which includes 2 cops, and a city council member? What about the paper itself?
Is John Smith supposed to stamp each article? You're starting to scare me Phil. I guess I would ask, is this story really that hard for you to believe? You do know it's 2014? And airplanes have jet engines nowdays....And girls can vote too! Sorry, but I cannot name a source. Just sayin.....

I did click on the link. I also read the story. And I just went back and looked again. No source that I can see. So can you point me towards it?

Seriously? OK...let me break this down and explain it very sloooowly for you, Phil. The original link I posted was from Daily Kos. Said link is here: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/...party-at-family-fun-center-to-prevent-dancing

Yes, they are a left-leaning blog. That being said, they are not in the habit of making things up to report on in order to make the city government of St. George, Utah (or anyone else) look bad. They quoted a news article from that wildly liberal publication of St. George News (and just to clarify, I am being sarcastic when I say that.) Said link, which you quoted in your reply to me, is again provided here:

http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/ar...olice-over-disputed-event-permit#.VFXGMvnF-nH

So, as this article evidently still doesn't convince you, let's see who all it got its information from here:

Brett Crockett, owner of Fiesta Fun Center. (The guy who was trying to host the party/dance)
Karlee Jarvis, a security supervisor for the Heart of Dixie (The group that organized the event)
Marc Mortensen, assistant to the city manager of St. George (The people who granted, then revised, the permit for the party)

Heart Of Dixie issued the following statement, quoted in the article: "The city issued a permit. We applied for a special event permit for a “dance”. It was issued. Then when they had no way to shut it down they produced additional pages to the permit that we were not given on which they had hand written that the dance was not allowed. Not to mention we were on private property, it is a first amendment right to dance, we weren’t playing music loud enough to be heard off the property and when the police were there NO ONE was dancing. They sent 6 officers to make sure no one was dancing! DANCING IS NOT A CRIME."

If you still don't believe the article, you can look at Heart Of Dixie's Facebook page located at https://www.facebook.com/theheartofdixie for more details, including information about a protest they have planned in St. George against what they see as unfair actions by the local government.

However, if you still have doubts, you can always email the author of the article, Mori Kessler, at mkessler@stgnews.com, or contact him on Twitter (@MoriKessler.) From the article bio: "Mori Kessler serves as Assistant Editor of St. George News, having previously contributed as a writer and Interim Editor in 2010-11. He began writing news in 2009 for Today in Dixie, and joined the writing staff of St. George News in 2010."

Yup...sounds like a big Liberal Conspiracy to me, all right.

Thanks Mannix...I didn't want to do all that work. Glad you did it..
Now excuse me while I adjust the my tinfoil helmet.....!

I dont think their is any personal issue here...these guys are just discussing journalistic integrity.
I think SGU is a nice enough place. I have just driven thru a few times and had a burger or two.
Didn't try dancing. But it's like any other small (90% white) town. They have laws and then they have "the rules".
No big deal. How many folks actually wanted to dance anyway?

PBR me ASAP said:
As a white non Mormon I felt discriminated there. Church has their hands in everything.

I can see how that can be frustrating. I would find that environment incredibly frustrating personally. Consider though that escape it's only a relatively short drive away. I mean, you could be stuck in Salt Lake City hundreds of miles away from the unsaved masses!

Look at the bright side. I imagine crime is pretty low there.

From what my sources tell me, there are a couple of ways to get to LAS and back so one does not even have to drive if so inclined.
Not a bad gig at all.

(hint: the school mascot is a Confederate soldier]
You might want to do a little checking before you start throwing around random "facts". The confederate soldier has not been Dixie State University's mascot since 2009 and the confederate flag was done away with in 1985. Their nickname was also changed to the Red Storm. So, pretty much the only thing they "refused....and I mean...kicking and screaming" to change is "Dixie". The whole reason for the "Dixie" name was to relate to the "South" because they tried to grow cotton. And for what it is worth, why don't you do a search on UNLV down in Vegas. Their nickname is still the Rebels and mascot is a confederate soldier, but hey, I guess it's ok for them to use it because it's Vegas

So in a way, they were supporting the Confederate War effort
I'll add that this does not make sense. Since most cotton is grown in the "South" it would be cut off for export to the Union Army, so if anything St. George would be supporting The Union because their supply of cotton was now gone and they would probably come looking for a different source. To instigate that St. George was a sympathizer to the Confederacy is insulting.

Back