SkyW Pay Package Out - No concessions

Now, today, SkyWest was the first regional pilot group in recent memory to come out of negotiations with more than they went in with. XJ, Republic, PSA, Pinnacle (Endeavor), etc have all been given the option of "take cuts or die". Eagle (dang, do I respect you guys) has given the finger to their concessionary deals, but still hasn't come out with an increase.

RAH hasn't been asked to take any pay cuts... Thank God.

So they are asking for concessions from the unionized workforce at XJT/ASA and giving the nonunion Skywest folks a raise?

Other than the Brasilia pilots, specifically the EMB F/O's getting a needed raise, there are NO raises for the majority of the pilots on the RJ side of the house. The raises would go to a very small percentage of the pilot group.

More than anything it is simply token gifts to the pilot group. Help with FAA medicals, more uniform money, a few more golden days, 3 more minutes on our minimum credit and .05 cents increase for per diem.

Essentially I get the feeling that we are supposed to look at this proposal, and say "Wow, this is great! Look we didn't loose anything! How awesome!"

and this after they eviscerated the medical package some years ago… oh and still never received anything for ready reserve ( what was supposed to be temporary) I think people there are happy they didn't lose ground.

Puzzling indeed, isn't it?

There are only two scenarios as I see it.

1) They want a no vote from XJT

or

2) They are far more clueless than any of us could have imagined

Union Busting brought to you by Ford and Harrison. A no vote is one step closer to XJT decertifying ALPA.

Tell you more? Gladly...but what exactly do you want me to tell you more about?

Fire me a PM.

This kind of political drama is exactly why I have zero desire to be involved in the union. I think having a union is very important in this industry, but I'm glad there are people who seem to thrive on union drama, because that's not me.

Just come out and say what you have to say, otherwise you sound like a middle school girl.

Screaming_Emu said:
This kind of political drama is exactly why I have zero desire to be involved in the union. I think having a union is very important in this industry, but I'm glad there are people who seem to thrive on union drama, because that's not me. Just come out and say what you have to say, otherwise you sound like a middle school girl.

Yeah, I get that, but he didn't really even ask a direct question.

So, yeah, come right on out and say it - but what exactly did you expect me to respond with Joe considering he didn't ask a direct question.

Anything else to add?

If you want some substance - email the respective LEC chairman and indicate that you want a recall motion placed on the agenda for the next meeting. A recall specifically stating the names and positions of LEC Officers you want put up for a recall vote. Good luck.

Those that bitch about this TA yet are not willing to actually do anything about it besides vote no are just as much part of the problem of this pilot group's apathetic outlook on the doings of this MEC as the MEC that is able to function in near secrecy.

And I hate to remind you, but you are involved in the union. As a pilot, this is YOUR union. You can either sit back and complain about the actions of those you elected, or you can take an active role and challenge them when you disagree with what they've done. Additionally, YOU as a pilot and a MEMBER of this pilot group hold the power to ultimately hold those individuals accountable for their decisions.

Last edited:
Other than the Brasilia pilots, specifically the EMB F/O's getting a needed raise, there are NO raises for the majority of the pilots on the RJ side of the house. The raises would go to a very small percentage of the pilot group.

More than anything it is simply token gifts to the pilot group. Help with FAA medicals, more uniform money, a few more golden days, 3 more minutes on our minimum credit and .05 cents increase for per diem.

Essentially I get the feeling that we are supposed to look at this proposal, and say "Wow, this is great! Look we didn't loose anything! How awesome!"

Yup. So much talk of cuts lately that like we're conditioned to think a pay freeze is actually a "good" thing at a profitable company in an industry that needs labor now more than ever. Like Pavlov's dogs we rush to be fed.

I'm amazed at how wide of a margin this will pass by. It's pathetic that everyone is looking at the package in relation to TA's at carriers operating near or under ch.11 - last I checked Skywest is making enough to give COLA adjustments. I can pay for my own medical and underwear myself, how about actually raising the bar. The Kool-aid floweth freely still.

It is pretty darn tough to truly raise the bar when you don't have the right tools for the job in the first place. Like I've probably mentioned in the past, I've been on every OC since day one and still believe we'd be better off with a real union & contract.

I won't defend our shortcomings, as we have more than a few but I do get a little cranky when our own guys moan about SAPA's faults when our pilot group has consistently not stepped up to organize and pay for real representation. The 19 of us on the board are all volunteers working without out a real contract, professional negotiators, lawyers, financial resources or formal training. While we try damn hard, you sort of get what you pay for.

Part of the point of my original post was to let everyone know our little un-skilled cadre were able to negotiate something that wasn't drastic like most everyone else is facing. Was the game rigged and was it purposeful by Inc mgt? Perhaps. I'm not going to sell it or tell folks to vote yes or no, just try to state the facts and let those who do vote make up their own minds.

It is pretty darn tough to truly raise the bar when you don't have the right tools for the job in the first place. Like I've probably mentioned in the past, I've been on every OC since day one and still believe we'd be better off with a real union & contract.

I won't defend our shortcomings, as we have more than a few but I do get a little cranky when our own guys moan about SAPA's faults when our pilot group has consistently not stepped up to organize and pay for real representation. The 19 of us on the board are all volunteers working without out a real contract, professional negotiators, lawyers, financial resources or formal training. While we try damn hard, you sort of get what you pay for.

Part of the point of my original post was to let everyone know our little un-skilled cadre were able to negotiate something that wasn't drastic like most everyone else is facing. Was the game rigged and was it purposeful by Inc mgt? Perhaps. I'm not going to sell it or tell folks to vote yes or no, just try to state the facts and let those who do vote make up their own minds.

To be clear, my own comments are not directed at SAPA. Over the near decade I have been here I have seen a huge change in effort and energy from SAPA to make things better and serve the pilot group. When SAPA puts a proposal to the group we need to understand that SAPA isn't saying "We love this, please vote yes." Rather they are presenting what they were able to achieve up to that point in negotiations. I suspect they felt they could not get much more from the company at the present time.

New Ford & Harrison plot twist. From XJT Union latest update:

"This week the company also indicated that if we so choose the pilots can have the SkyWest Tentative Agreement and all SkyWest policies in lieu of the JCBA, but not a single seniority list."

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Back