SJI Displacements Cancelled

I’m sort of at the point where I don’t really want to drive anything else, myself; and that’s merely with a good set of all weather tires on the Lesbaru, not even winter ones. Though I would describe the routes under consideration as all city driving the whole time too.

I’m sort of at the point where I don’t really want to drive anything else, myself; and that’s merely with a good set of all weather tires on the Lesbaru, not even winter ones. Though I would describe the routes under consideration as all city driving the whole time too.

We just traded our 2020 Outback for a 2021. At the time, saving money by getting the premium made sense but we regretted it almost instantly. They were running a 0% interest deal last month which made a trade in for a limited wasn’t a colossally bad idea.

We just traded our 2020 Outback for a 2021. At the time, saving money by getting the premium made sense but we regretted it almost instantly. They were running a 0% interest deal last month which made a trade in for a limited wasn’t a colossally bad idea.
Mine is paid for, which is important right now, though perhaps less important than it was.

I could tell if a captain was a previous CFI in about two minutes.

As a CFI, you’ll see five different methods of accomplishing a task. The ability to let a student make a mistake, recognize it and take corrective action.

The captains that were never CFIs are a little more prone to “there’s only one way and if I think you’re straying from it, Amma freak out and micromanage your ass” attitudes.

I usually put that in my brief. I’ve been on some series of airbus for the past decade, I know when you’re engaged and I know when you’re in the weeds. If you’re in the weeds, recognize it and take corrective action and you won’t hear a thing from me. If you’re in the weeds, start going deeper, tap out and ask for help but I’m not going to step in until I almost can‘t save you so if I say “push for managed”, it’s probably been an issue for a while and you’re still working on that Soduko.”

(or some variation of that to keep it interesting)

I'm not a CFI but as a CA I give plenty of rope to the FO on the general assumption that this person is a consummate professional who knows what he/she's doing, until proven otherwise. And I fully agree with you, that's also my style. You do your thing, if you're messing up but catching it, great. If you ask for help, that's great too. But if I speak up, it's because we've reached that point where it's not pretty and has gone on for too long. Sounds like a similar style.

I find this assertion to be *extremely* suspect.

You’d be wrong. I was FO for 11 yrs before upgrading. I know about micromanaging CAs and insecure leadership. That’s not how I molded myself. I took the best parts of CAs I flew with and used that to emulate what is my style today.

Whenever anyone says "I'm pretty laid back" thats a big warning sign. Without fail, they're the opposite!

This.

Also, "I don't have an ego, you can't offend me."

Translation: they are heavily offended, and the slightest input/correction will send them on the defensive.

Last edited:
I could tell if a captain was a previous CFI in about two minutes.

As a CFI, you’ll see five different methods of accomplishing a task. The ability to let a student make a mistake, recognize it and take corrective action.

The captains that were never CFIs are a little more prone to “there’s only one way and if I think you’re straying from it, Amma freak out and micromanage your ass” attitudes.

I usually put that in my brief. I’ve been on some series of airbus for the past decade, I know when you’re engaged and I know when you’re in the weeds. If you’re in the weeds, recognize it and take corrective action and you won’t hear a thing from me. If you’re in the weeds, start going deeper, tap out and ask for help but I’m not going to step in until I almost can‘t save you so if I say “push for managed”, it’s probably been an issue for a while and you’re still working on that Soduko.”

(or some variation of that to keep it interesting)

Are guys not even communicating while flying? As in keeping the other person informed on what they’re doing, what they’re thinking, and what they’re planning? That way, anything can be corrected early if need be, as a crew. Shouldn’t be any need to have to let anything get too far.

Meh don't sweat it, if you're not into the CFI thing pursue the other routes to 1500 (as you are). I don't have my CFI as it was something I had zero interest in doing after getting my ratings. Going through massive hoops, expense, risking a possible blemish on my record, try and have guys not kill me in the practice area, all kinda turned me off. You absolutely can get to the airlines without it, but the path won't be as linear as training-CFI-RJs.

However, after i've run the gauntlet in this insane industry it seems like something that would be a good thing to have, "tool in your toolbox" kinda thing. Maybe I have matured (lol) and the thought of passing on some knowledge is appealing, but that's with the benefit of hindsight. I was also super lucky to get hired at XJT with 550 hours and VX with 2900, so my path is perhaps due to that (or good looks and charm).

CFIing is good experience to have. I don’t mind it, although I don’t teach much of learning to fly the aircraft, I mostly teach learning how to employ the aircraft tactics-wise.....which sometimes reverts back to learning/reviewing how to fly the aircraft for some of the newer folks. :)

Are guys not even communicating while flying? As in keeping the other person informed on what they’re doing, what they’re thinking, and what they’re planning? That way, anything can be corrected early if need be, as a crew. Shouldn’t be any need to have to let anything get too far.

Depends on the guys personality. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Typical day to and from an airport that we’ve been to a gazillion times, give me the Cliff notes. If it’s a non-typical flight then talk to me.

Depends on the guys personality. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Weird, at my shop the other pilot never has any question of what’s going on when, or going to go on. Thoughts/plans are voiced.

Like entering the traffic pattern. If I’m flying, i tell the other guy “plan on downwind about a 1.5 mile offset, 1500 AGL, 170/Flaps 5 entry. Approaching downwind abeam gear/flaps 15/150. Approaching the 180 abeam the numbers, flaps 30/ before landing and roll into downwind to final. Halfway down/halfway around at the 90, roll out 300/1 mile.”

Only difference is if we’re doing a touch and go, brief leave speed brake detent/disarmed, touchdown flaps 5, power advance, rotate at Vr and lift off. If another traffic pattern, leave it at flaps 5/170/all manual, if going to radar or departing the area, full cleanup, engage modes as desired.

Weird, at my shop the other pilot never has any question of what’s going on when, or going to go on. Thoughts/plans are voiced.

Like entering the traffic pattern. If I’m flying, i tell the other guy “plan on downwind about a 1.5 mile offset, 1500 AGL, 170/Flaps 5 entry. Approaching downwind abeam gear/flaps 15/150. Approaching the 180 abeam the numbers, flaps 30/ before landing and roll into downwind to final. Halfway down/halfway around at the 90, roll out 300/1 mile.”

Only difference is if we’re doing a touch and go, brief leave speed brake detent/disarmed, touchdown flaps 5, power advance, rotate at Vr and lift off. If another traffic pattern, leave it at flaps 5/170/all manual, if going to radar or departing the area, full cleanup, engage modes as desired.

Good god, that would drive me crazy. The cockpit should be a relatively quiet place below 10k unless something unusual is going on. Everything is standardized. No need to chatter.

Good god, that would drive me crazy. The cockpit should be a relatively quiet place below 10k unless something unusual is going on. Everything is standardized. No need to chatter.

Same stuff all the time? Then yeah, standardized and quiet.

Stuff like the above gets into non-standard or not always done. Hell, a touch and go is damn near an emergency procedure for many guys I’ve seen. Much less a go around....seen enough of those boned up procedure wise. Not in an unsafe way, but disorganized.

Same stuff all the time? Then yeah, standardized and quiet.

Stuff like the above gets into non-standard or not always done. Hell, a touch and go is damn near an emergency procedure for many guys I’ve seen. Much less a go around....seen enough of those boned up procedure wise. Not in an unsafe way, but disorganized.

Yeah, I've never done a touch-and-go in anything turbine. That would definitely qualify as nonstandard. :)

Back