SJI Displacements Cancelled

I will say I had the same attitude about CFI until I started the studying and check rides for the certificate. Easily the most rewarding certificate I'll ever have.

I still regret not getting my CFI, tho I don’t regret the choice I made instead. It is still a valuable rating to have and I’ll be honest, those that are now captains with their CFI are a hell of a lot more laid back than those who weren’t. Nothing worse than a jumpy captain micromanaging your every move.

I still regret not getting my CFI, tho I don’t regret the choice I made instead. It is still a valuable rating to have and I’ll be honest, those that are now captains with their CFI are a hell of a lot more laid back than those who weren’t. Nothing worse than a jumpy captain micromanaging your every move.
What are you saying about my Captain style?:p

I could tell if a captain was a previous CFI in about two minutes.

As a CFI, you’ll see five different methods of accomplishing a task. The ability to let a student make a mistake, recognize it and take corrective action.

The captains that were never CFIs are a little more prone to “there’s only one way and if I think you’re straying from it, Amma freak out and micromanage your ass” attitudes.

I usually put that in my brief. I’ve been on some series of airbus for the past decade, I know when you’re engaged and I know when you’re in the weeds. If you’re in the weeds, recognize it and take corrective action and you won’t hear a thing from me. If you’re in the weeds, start going deeper, tap out and ask for help but I’m not going to step in until I almost can‘t save you so if I say “push for managed”, it’s probably been an issue for a while and you’re still working on that Soduko.”

(or some variation of that to keep it interesting)

As a CFI, you’ll see five different methods of accomplishing a task. The ability to let a student make a mistake, recognize it and take corrective action.

The captains that were never CFIs are a little more prone to “there’s only one way and if I think you’re straying from it, Amma freak out and micromanage your ass” attitudes.

I usually put that in my brief. I’ve been on some series of airbus for the past decade, I know when you’re engaged and I know when you’re in the weeds. If you’re in the weeds, recognize it and take corrective action and you won’t hear a thing from me. If you’re in the weeds, start going deeper, tap out and ask for help but I’m not going to step in until I almost can‘t save you so if I say “push for managed”, it’s probably been an issue for a while and you’re still working on that Soduko.”

This is the best. When you’ve been an instructor on your plane long enough you know where the line is. My students in the Harrier were always appreciative that I’d let them “explore the space.” “Hey friend, don’t do that again or we both may die next time” followed by actual professional coaching was usually a pretty good ice breaker. When the students would get a little bit loose at social functions and they start telling their very limited repertoire of “war stories” I have to make sure my wife isn’t listening. What they don’t realize is that it’s all completely underpinned with utmost confidence in both the guy at the controls and my ability to pretty quickly put him back in the right parameters. Growing pilots in that environment made PPL, IR, and ME teaching downright amusing, too. I’m not going to pretend that being an instructor is for everybody, but it definitely fills the drawers of your toolbox unlike anything else. I personally cant wait for the opportunity to get back to it in due time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Me being a CFI has contributed to an overall good mindset of sitting in the left seat. I will not micromanage because I want to know that you have an understanding of what’s going on with our plane. Unless we are about to violate a reg or company policy, fly the jet however you want. I’ve seen my fair share of different techniques as a CFI and a longtime FO.

This is the best. When you’ve been an instructor on your plane long enough you know where the line is. My students in the Harrier were always appreciative that I’d let them “explore the space.” “Hey friend, don’t do that again or we both may die next time” followed by actual professional coaching was usually a pretty good ice breaker. When the students would get a little bit loose at social functions and they start telling their very limited repertoire of “war stories” I have to make sure my wife isn’t listening. What they don’t realize is that it’s all completely underpinned with utmost confidence in both the guy at the controls and my ability to pretty quickly put him back in the right parameters. Growing pilots in that environment made PPL, IR, and ME teaching downright amusing, too. I’m not going to pretend that being an instructor is for everybody, but it definitely fills the drawers of your toolbox unlike anything else. I personally cant wait for the opportunity to get back to it in due time.

I usually put that in my brief. I’ve been on some series of airbus for the past decade, I know when you’re engaged and I know when you’re in the weeds. If you’re in the weeds, recognize it and take corrective action and you won’t hear a thing from me. If you’re in the weeds, start going deeper, tap out and ask for help . I’m but I’m not going to step in until I almost can‘t save youths hosers so if I say “push for managed”, it’s probably been an issue for a and you’re still working uon that Soduko.”

You both sound like great captains, better than I’d say 70% of the hosers we have right now.

One of my favorite parts of instructing was being able to see something coming from a mile away, let them learn, knowing exactly when it was time to calmly step in, and then asking them to break down what happened before I gave them my perspective.

You learn so much more by making mistakes than by somebody telling you a bunch of stuff. But obviously you need to know when to step in and not die.

One of my favorite parts of instructing was being able to see something coming from a mile away, let them learn, knowing exactly when it was time to calmly step in, and then asking them to break down what happened before I gave them my perspective.

You learn so much more by making mistakes than by somebody telling you a bunch of stuff. But obviously you need to know when to step in and not die.
I'd always had it before CFIing, but I think my ability to look at another car around me in traffic and go "I bet that person is about to do something stupid" and be right must have really gotten honed the short amount of time I instructed.

I'll be honest. My heart isn't really in being a CFI. Never really has been. Its a great way to earn hours. But I also think that you need to have a passion for it. Which I don't. So I teeter between doing for hours and possibly being a bad CFI that hates life. Or saying, "its gonna be a no for me dawg." We'll see what happens, necessity and availability of jobs will force the decision for me.
Meh don't sweat it, if you're not into the CFI thing pursue the other routes to 1500 (as you are). I don't have my CFI as it was something I had zero interest in doing after getting my ratings. Going through massive hoops, expense, risking a possible blemish on my record, try and have guys not kill me in the practice area, all kinda turned me off. You absolutely can get to the airlines without it, but the path won't be as linear as training-CFI-RJs.

However, after i've run the gauntlet in this insane industry it seems like something that would be a good thing to have, "tool in your toolbox" kinda thing. Maybe I have matured (lol) and the thought of passing on some knowledge is appealing, but that's with the benefit of hindsight. I was also super lucky to get hired at XJT with 550 hours and VX with 2900, so my path is perhaps due to that (or good looks and charm).

I wish I knew. But they get worse when a bridge is involved. I hate the 205 bridge during rush hour.
Like with all these GD subarus and big trucks, they still really all drove like weenies during that massive snow storm three weeks ago. Get off the road and outta my way. Our older Audi suv with all wheel drive ate em for lunch.

Like with all these GD subarus and big trucks, they really drove like weenies during that massive snow storm three weeks ago. Get off the road and outta my way. Our older Audi suv with all wheel drive ate em for lunch.
Hahaha. Just watch out for my wife and her Subaru. She’s got a lead foot lol.

Like with all these GD subarus and big trucks, they still really all drove like weenies during that massive snow storm three weeks ago. Get off the road and outta my way. Our older Audi suv with all wheel drive ate em for lunch.
I was excited to try out my two year old Subaru in the snow during the cluster in Texas the other week. Was pretty underwhelmed and disappointed and then I realized I had summer tires on.

I was excited to try out my two year old Subaru in the snow during the cluster in Texas the other week. Was pretty underwhelmed and disappointed and then I realized I had summer tires on.

I realized a few years ago that the reason I am less than excited with my Forester is that, other than periodic heavy rain flooding (turn around! don't drown!), the 8 inches of clearance and AWD do absolutely nothing for me out here.

Winter tires and AWD simply kick arse.

On the Subaru front, learned one time that Outbacks (at least this particular generation) don't have AWD in reverse. We were snowshoeing up a road to a trailhead when a girl came rallying around the corner and nearly hit my mom. She drove it into the ditch and thankfully didn't hit anyone. She was super apologetic and we tried to help push her out but only two wheels would spin. So don't rally your Outback and expect to reverse out of a snowbank.

Back