Silver Airways Saab Lands At Wrong Airport

I suggest most of you look up what a just safety culture is, then get back to this thread. If you don't understand what a just safety culture is, you are looking even more ignorant.

I strongly believe in a just safety culture, however, I would still expect to lose my job over it. I wouldn't even argue it, either. That's true for every company I've worked for, even the ALPA one.

Your former ALPA Airline had pilots land at the wrong airport, same one as CJC did. I believe the pilots kept their jobs.

Your former ALPA Airline had pilots land at the wrong airport, same one as CJC did. I believe the pilots kept their jobs.

Didn't hear about that one; were they able to get re-released and fly it back out? There are a few logistical issues at my job that could turn something like this into a very big deal, depending on where you land (think bottom ticker on CNN, big deal). That's not even considering the aspect of getting the jet back out.

Oh, by the way, for those saying 'FIRE THE PILOTS', let me ask has anyone ever worked an investigation where this happened?

I hate to sound arrogant, but I actually have. In the incident I investigated there were like 27 factors outside the control of the pilots that contributed to the mistake. So everyone needs to take a few steps back here and understand it can/does will happen.

Oh, by the way, for those saying 'FIRE THE PILOTS'

To be clear, I'm not saying that the pilots should automatically be fired. I'm saying that I'd go into the meeting with the full expectation to lose my job.

Oh no, you are definetly thinking about this rationaly and clearly. You definetly 'get it'.

The pilots who did land at the wrong airport were expecting to get canned with the investigation I worked. Once the layers of what happened were peeled back, there was more to it than the pilots actions.

I strongly believe in a just safety culture, however, I would still expect to lose my job over it. I wouldn't even argue it, either. That's true for every company I've worked for, even the ALPA one.
A safe and just culture doesn't imply permissiveness. (And yes, I've read Dekker's book on the subject, and I count it as one of my favorites.)
Oh no, you are definetly thinking about this rationaly and clearly. You definetly 'get it'.

The pilots who did land at the wrong airport were expecting to get canned with the investigation I worked. The lawyers didn't even need to get involved!
My comment above was along the lines of Dasleben's thinking. I'd be very surprised to walk out employed, at any company I've worked at, union or not.

Anyone...and I mean anyone that is not flying some kind of big-engined taildragger in bad weather with only a Rand McNally road-atlas for navigation is a complete (p)wussy and deserves to be fired. From whatever job they have.

Anyone...and I mean anyone that is not flying some kind of big-engined taildragger in bad weather with only a Rand McNally road-atlas for navigation is a complete (p)wussy and deserves to be fired. From whatever job they have.

What year Rand-McNally? I think I have a 1999 hanging around here somewhere.

My grandma riding in the back is more important then your job. That crew obviously isnt capable of operating in the 121 environment, and should be canned. I'm all for second chances, but I remember an RJ killing a whole bunch of people a while back. The system in place where we continue to spoon feed the weak to keep them employed is ridiculous. That system cost us a bunch of lives in Buffalo. Sorry dude, there are certain things you should be fired for, and this is one.
BRTky.jpg

What do you guys think is fair disciplinary action? From the company and from the FAA? Would anything be different if they did go off the end of the runway, but without any injuries?

I hear what huggies is saying but I love that he can come to these conclusions with very little details.

That's the thing - as much as I'd love to join a Huggie beat-down - I kind of see his point in a way. I also see ATN's point as well.

I understand and agree with ATN's "reckless and careless" standard - I'm just not sure that is where I'd place the bar - I'd probably want it more stringent. On the other hand - some of the best hires I've ever made were people that completely and totally blew-it on some project at there last job. If they are smart they won't make the same mistake again, and have been humbled - and nothing builds maturity like a good humbling.

That's the thing - as much as I'd love to join a Huggie beat-down - I kind of see his point in a way. I also see ATN's point as well.

I understand and agree with ATN's "reckless and careless" standard - I'm just not sure that is where I'd place the bar - I'd probably want it more stringent. On the other hand - some of the best hires I've ever made were people that completely and totally blew-it on some project at there last job. If they are smart they won't make the same mistake again, and have been humbled - and nothing builds maturity like a good humbling.

There is a 'bar' in situations like this. It is reckless and careless operation such as purposely putting the plane in a barrel roll, etc.

There is a flow chart related to the ASAP Program that relates to these types of situations. As long as the crew acted in a certain manner, their mistake of landing at the wrong airport, should be accepted (if) Silver has an ASAP program. Nick can comment on this flow chart and probably post it.

I'd actually promote someone for barrel rolling an airliner. With pax on board - I promote them and give them five-stripe epaulets

Back