Silver Airways Saab Lands At Wrong Airport

I always say that anything can happen to anyone. All it takes is one error or a chain of events. The FAA and NTSB agree. That being said, at the very least they should be violated by the FAA, HARD. One, they made a pretty serious mistake. Two, they're costing their company LOTS of money. Therefore they should be held extra accountable. Wrong airport landings can be greatly prevented by a quick look at a VFR sectional/google/skyvector/ect. to see where the airport is in relation to prominent landmarks or the city. Who does that??? :D However, I hear guys lining up for Offut AFB in Omaha ALL the time. NO excuse for that at all. On a map, it's painfully obvious where the two of them are. Not to mention, their position relative to the Omaha VOR if you're too lazy for a map. Complacency in the on board equipment perhaps?

I don't care about training, SOPs and FARs. I'll follow them, yes, but airmanship is what keeps your license, keeps you safe, and keeps your job. Sadly the shift is towards the previous. I'm not even surprised at all when I see incidents like this, or worse. When your airmanship fails, you should be held accountable. I'm under the impression that when some people go to the 121 world, they throw away ALL of their previous flying experience and rely solely on training, procedures, and the airplanes systems. That will only get you dead.

Yes, I'd prefer to keep my job/source of income if I make a mistake, but the reality is that if the mistake is serious enough(like this one) I don't deserve to be there. Steve's post is an example of doing the right thing. You look like more of an idiot not "crying wolf" than when something bad happens.

As I was getting at earlier though, every pilot under the sun is susceptible to making mistakes, but I expect people to be held accountable for them.

Wrong airport landings can be greatly prevented by a quick look at a VFR sectional/google/skyvector/ect. to see where the airport is in relation to prominent landmarks or the city. Who does that??? :D

Sir, where in the Jepp kit are the VFR sectionals? :)

I'm under the impression that when some people go to the 121 world, they throw away ALL of their previous flying experience and rely solely on training, procedures, and the airplanes systems. That will only get you dead.

That's not true at all.

:)
That's not true at all.

I said SOME, not all. Not necessarily this crew in particular either. Just conversations I've had with a few of my friends about their flying. The example I always use: "I don't know if I can be captain yet. I'm not sure I could make the decision on how long to hold before we have to divert to our alternate because of fuel". We did this EVERY DAY flying lines. He clearly threw away his experience of pushing a 172 to minimum fuel twice a day, everyday. I hear comments like this that apply EXACTLY to that person's previous flying, but they threw it away for some reason.

I said SOME, not all. Not necessarily this crew in particular either. Just conversations I've had with a few of my friends about their flying. The example I always use: "I don't know if I can be captain yet. I'm not sure I could make the decision on how long to hold before we have to divert to our alternate because of fuel". We did this EVERY DAY flying lines. He clearly threw away his experience of pushing a 172 to minimum fuel twice a day, everyday. I hear comments like this that apply EXACTLY to that person's previous flying, but they threw it away for some reason.

Might be a confidence issue for him, then.

UAL747400 said:
Wrong airport landings can be greatly prevented by a quick look at a VFR sectional/google/skyvector/ect. to see where the airport is in relation to prominent landmarks or the city. Who does that???

WTFO? Do you understand that 121 operators don't have VFR Sectionals???

Boy oh boy! We have a bunch of Chuck Yeagers on here!

Scary, isn't it? A bunch of accidents waiting to happen. I'm hoping it's just due to a complete lack of experience, rather than macho personalities that won't be humbled over time with some more experience.

Might be a confidence issue for him, then.
Perhaps, but it didn't seem to be a problem with his previous job.
WTFO? Do you understand that 121 operators don't have VFR Sectionals???
I didn't necessarily mean in the air. A quick peak on the ground before going somewhere unfamiliar is a good idea.
Scary, isn't it? A bunch of accidents waiting to happen. I'm hoping it's just due to a complete lack of experience, rather than macho personalities that won't be humbled over time with some more experience.
If this is directed towards me. No where in ANY of my comments have I ever said "I", and you are also putting words in my mouth implying that I look at the aviation world as everyone vs 121. The ONLY reason I didn't say 91/135 in my first post on this thread is because training consists of "here's a plane you've never flown before, go fly it perfectly or your fired!" and there's not much for SOPs or FARs vs the 121 world. Not a lot to rely on except your own experience, and you either have it, or you don't get the job. My comments have never been 121 vs. 135. I just don't agree with this emphasis on training for things pilots should be doing anyways. It's never been directed towards the pilots. I trash talk all the cowboy "I fly through red radar returns" freight guys just as much anyways. So settle.
Funny thing is, some of these guys don't realize just how applicable their 91/135 time really is. It's still a 91/135 vs. 121 debate until they get to the airlines and realize it's all just the same crap with bigger equipment (except for the sectional thing :)).
ALL flying is exactly the same. 172=747. In many regards, this is true. The others are what training is for.

For many years, my dad carried WAC (or sectional, but I think they were WAC) charts for the entire US—somehow he found room for that in his kitbag.

But no, they aren't standard issue at all.

You know what I do for a living, right? :)

From a business and reputation standpoint look at what Colgan is going through with 3407 and the Captain's paper trail leading up to the accident. It would be tough to justify keeping this guy/gal in the left seat or on property in case he goes and injures/kills someone.

If I'm running an airline, this is one of those, "you're to much of a liability, we have to let you go" situations.

and yes that lawsuit is the least of 9E/9L's problems.

Back