Silver Airways Saab Lands At Wrong Airport

I learned how to fly out of Fairmont. It's pretty hard to mistake it for CKB, other than the fact both runways point in the same general direction.

If you can't eyeball 3200 vs 7000, your medical examiner isn't doing his job.

In most cases yes, although for the random 3500ish foot runways with full ILS markings on good pavement, you really have to look around at the surrounds to know what kind of runway you are looking at... If your eyes are dialed right down the runway and it looks like it should, you're gonna have a baaad time.

That being said, I'm not sure what the runways are painted like here, just generally speaking.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

In most cases yes, although for the random 3500ish foot runways with full ILS markings on good pavement, you really have to look around at the surrounds to know what kind of runway you are looking at... If your eyes are dialed right down the runway and it looks like it should, you're gonna have a baaad time.

That being said, I'm not sure what the runways are painted like here, just generally speaking.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

If the runway has full precision markings, it should be easy to notice that the big white boxes are a third of the way down...

In my experience, this statement is always true. Always.

I remember Colgan landed a SAAB at the wrong airport in Texas a few months ago. But then again, Northwest landed an Airbus at the airforce base north of RAP instead of the civilian field.

Ugh. I try to give you a fair shake, but you really can be an asshat sometimes. We're talking someone's job here, for a mistake that dozens of professional pilots have made over the years. Lay off the guys.

My grandma riding in the back is more important then your job. That crew obviously isnt capable of operating in the 121 environment, and should be canned. I'm all for second chances, but I remember an RJ killing a whole bunch of people a while back. The system in place where we continue to spoon feed the weak to keep them employed is ridiculous. That system cost us a bunch of lives in Buffalo. Sorry dude, there are certain things you should be fired for, and this is one.

I'm not sure I see the connection between landing safely at the wrong airport and augering in due to poor airmanship.

I keep hoping you'll mature and realize that you're just as capable of making the same mistakes that you attack others for, but it never seems to happen. Apparently you never had an instructor teach you the old phrase "there but for the grace of God, go I." Hopefully your macho attitude doesn't get you killed before you finally grow up.

Its not macho, if I land at the wrong airport, I deserved to be fired. I didn't follow SOPs, lost all of my SA, failed to work as crew, and made a mistake so serious that it could have easily ended in total airframe loss, and loss of lives. I'm really failing to comprehend the issue with firing someone that did all of the above.

Let me ask you this, what's an offense that you'd consider fire-able in terms of actual aviation. (non-drug related personal stuff)

Back