Sierra Academy of Aeronautics

First, this is a very unfortunate incident, and I sincerly do feel for the students family. Of course this student shouldn't have had to pay for his mistake with his life, but it was still a very stupid thing to do.

Come on Logs, I broke all kind of (non-flying) rules at Sierra, and Gary looked the other way more times than I can count. If these students had succeded in what they were trying to do, and Gary saw them, I would hope that he would report it. During the two years that I was there, I have seen these students break rules numerous times, and get "grounded" for 1 or 2 days. This includes stealing planes, going to places on XC's they weren't allowed to go, and flying with their friends. They do it because they know they can get away with it.

As far as maintenance goes, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the mechanics. I think they take their jobs very seriously. The problem is the two owners of the school constantly yell and scream at them to get planes fixed, and they cut corners in fear of losing their jobs. I can think of two mechanics off the top of my head that have left for this exact reason.

As far as maintenance goes, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the mechanics. I think they take their jobs very seriously. The problem is the two owners of the school constantly yell and scream at them to get planes fixed, and they cut corners in fear of losing their jobs. I can think of two mechanics off the top of my head that have left for this exact reason.

Totally agree with you there. I had lots of interaction with the maintenance while I was there mainly over 4UN and they were all great guys for the most part. It was the screaming on Dan that was the main problem. That's what eventually ran off Keith and Mario. Still though, I can't even count how many gear problems I had with the Seminoles.

=Jason-

That's what happens when you buy the absolutely cheapest airplanes you can find.

:yeahthat:
What happens when you hire the cheapest instructors you can find too? The days of making any money at Sierra are over. I hear new CFI's will be paid a 'living" stipend along with room and board which means two to a dorm room and all the Cantonese style Cat they can eat. And thats not a slur against the Chinese...the place is infested with cats.

:yeahthat:
What happens when you hire the cheapest instructors you can find too? The days of making any money at Sierra are over. I hear new CFI's will be paid a 'living" stipend along with room and board which means two to a dorm room and all the Cantonese style Cat they can eat. And thats not a slur against the Chinese...the place is infested with cats.

The cats are mainly due to Gary, he feeds them all the time, I think he's trying to grow an army. So the days of free money are over huh? Well not worth it, I'd still go back to fly the king air if they were paying what they were before. When I first instructed there we got free room(our own room), free food, and made just under 20 bucks an hour. But of course they needed instructors badly. Now with the way the work is in the states, I'm not surprised that they are cutting back. No more gravy train rolling on biscuit wheels.

=Jason-

I guess they brought back the gravy train: I need more info.

Just reading SAA website.... http://sierraacademy.com/index.html

They now offer to pay for your CFI-A if you have your Multi-Comm certificate.... Is this true? What's the catch except instructing with them? Contract for X years?

Free Housing, Breakfast, and Lunch & dinner.... not bad! I like Free....

But then again, I'm smarter than the average beer ;) ... So what's the catch? Who get's my soul?

I guess they brought back the gravy train: I need more info.

Just reading SAA website.... http://sierraacademy.com/index.html

They now offer to pay for your CFI-A if you have your Multi-Comm certificate.... Is this true? What's the catch except instructing with them? Contract for X years?

Free Housing, Breakfast, and Lunch & dinner.... not bad! I like Free....

But then again, I'm smarter than the average beer ;) ... So what's the catch? Who get's my soul?

Interesting...

Guess the other four instructors in the room are going to hate it when my wife and 4 of the kids move in as well :) Hope they have Chicken nuggets for the little one

Interesting...

Guess the other four instructors in the room are going to hate it when my wife and 4 of the kids move in as well :) Hope they have Chicken nuggets for the little one

Each Instructors get their own room. If you have wife and four kids, lol, probably not the right outfit for you to instruct at. Granted similac is not cheap, so blended chicken nuggets may do.

Back