Shuttle Transport 747 at Carswell Ft. Worth

Anybody know why NASA is using this flight plan? Can't they save a lot of money by flying a more direct route?

Its the end of the year, they gotta spend the government bucks so they get the funds next year! duh

:D

Notice all the city workers working on the roads outside? ;)

Anybody know why NASA is using this flight plan? Can't they save a lot of money by flying a more direct route?

The shuttle absolutely can'tfly through any precip, EVER. It will destroy the tiles on the leading edges. Therfore, I'm assuming that they were circumnavigating some weather.

I want to say that I had heard that this thing must maintain VFR at all times. Can someone confirm this?

That may be why the route is all messed up.

Yes, I believe they are restricted to VFR Day operations. The route is the way it is because it did a pass over Houston. From flightaware it looks like they took it down to around 7000ft.

Yes, I believe they are restricted to VFR Day operations. The route is the way it is because it did a pass over Houston. From flightaware it looks like they took it down to around 7000ft.

A passover or some type of fly-by would sound about right.

As far as the shuttle, I was told they stay low (15000) bc of the weight of the shuttle. And I know they fly a Refueler about 100 miles in front of the big bird to test the conditions.

The departure guy coming out of IAH last night said that the transport made a low approach to 33R at Bush-intercontinental yesterday....he said it was an amazing sight. There is a large nasa fleet out of either HOU or EFD(not sure) but I think it might have had something to do with that....and Johnson SPace Center being there.

wish I had come out of the crew room on my 5 hour sit to catch it fly by.

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 67
Hmmm. I'm going to have to research how to become a NASA pilot.:)

You generally need an engineering degree and test pilot experience I believe. Military is the easiest route to get that. I heard somewhere test pilot school is like $200,000.00. Don't think you can find any bridge programs LOL

Back