Should I opt out of CFI program?

If you want to be a CFI then do it. If not, don't... That simple.... But you truly don't know what you don't know until you try to teach it.... or better yet, teach something wrong and be corrected by a fellow CFI, Chief, or student.... Then you begin to realize that you don't know squat...... talk about humbling....

Training for and getting your CFI teaches alot to you. Even if you never use it, it is never money wasted. You will learn alot, more then you would think. And it will make you a better pilot, period. Is it the end all? Of course not. But you will learn.... it's finally putting everything together and then trying to teach people of all types and I mean all types, ages, etc. to fly.....

Aerobatics is great, and I am a huge proponent of pilots getting trained in aerobatics for the experience and knowledge gained. Plus it is a blast.

However, overall mastery of a skill comes afte many hours and studying many disciplines. CFI, aerobatics, instrument flying are many skills and it will take a long time to master anyone of them..., let alone combining those skills to create a good professional pilot. I call it tools in the tool box. The more tools you have, the better you are to handle a given situation.....

I think of where I was three years ago, to where I am now in skill, knowledge and mastery. It was the CFI (at first), then the 2000 plus hours of instructing that taught me the most (at all levels). The ability to teach people of all walks of life to fly and to interact with them and see things going bad, long before they do, is something that takes time and experience. And there is no short cuts to aquiring these skill sets. Is it always fun? No. But it is always a learning experience. Even when you think that there is nothing more to learn (for yourself), there is. You may not even realize it. The learning by you is incidental to the teaching by you, but learning is still occuring.

And you will learn more in your first two weeks of teaching, then anything you have done before in your flying. Then as your skills and certs increase (as does you hours), so does your knowledge. Usually your best learning experiences come from mistakes that you made with your students. At my flight school, believe me when I say that we are called out on our mistakes. This is done for many reasons, but first and foremost, it is because our bosses want us to be the best we can be. And they want students trained by our school to have quality instruction. Long story short, we care. And we want to do it right.

I consider myself a good CFI with a descent amount of experience. I am a CFI/CFII whom also teaches tailwheel and aerobatics. And I love doing it. But it wasn't until I had been teaching at one level for a while that I was able to move up to the next. I got good at one thing, and then went to the next level and the next.

Are there better out there? Without a doubt. I just try to do the best I can and learn more and more all the time to be even better. And there is sooooo much more to learn. Nice thing about aviation, is that you will never truly know everything. We can only hope to know more then we did the day before.....

The moral of my ramblings is this. All training is good training and all experience is good (whether or not we think so at the time). CFI is not the only way. I just don't know another way to begin to master a skill, as when one teaches the skill.

The original poster is young and has admitted as much. Alot of us here are a bit older with a little or a lot of gray in the hair (if we still have it). They will learn what we have. All we can do is give advice and hope they will take some of it as being good. From there it is up to them. As far as being humble, well, time takes care of that as well.... One way or another.

Very nicely phrased. IMO, being a CFI (basic, instrument, or multi, take your pick) are apprenticeships of sorts. If you want to know how well you know something, try and teach it. Flying is not a race, but an adventure. The best always, pay dues and mature. Flashes in the pan don't usually stay around too long.

Definately get your CFI's. If instructing is not your game, work hard to find something else, but you will probably need those ratings at some point in order to keep flying. I know its been said a million times already, but I just wanted to get one more in for you.

Another angle as well:

The market for a sub-1200 hr pilot today? Close to zero. Especially with so many people out of work with more experience.

The market for a CFI? More than zero.

Remember, the CFI is still a commercial pilot so you're competing with freshly minted commercial pilots and CFI's looking to move up the food chain.

If you're looking for employment and you at least have part-135 single pilot IFR minimums, there are jobs out there.

If you've got a couple hundred hours, even if you've done a CRM, 737 type rating, CRJ "bridge" and logged a few hours in the Space Shuttle simulator, you're probably free all day tomorrow and I'm always looking for new moderators! :) :sarcasm:

After reading all these posts about airline pilots, half pilots, students, flying inverted etc.. the only thing that matters and that will help you is IFR skills. That's what you do at pro flying operations, fly IFR, from day one. The only people that washed out or had significant problems with training and IOE were people that had no real IFR experience, yes even 1200 hour VFR CFIs.

And your IFR skills really get good when you teach somebody else how to fly em.

Seems to me, you are looking for shortcuts.

That's fine, if you find one that works, let us know, but I have had several students lengthen their training by glomming onto a "shortcut" and end up lengthening their training because they had "the *right* way" to do it.*

There is a LOT of experience on this board. As your CFI, I would say, "shut up and listen."

Crap, you got Navy Jet student's on this board, you got tail draggers, you got aerobatics dudes, you got old schoolers, losers, wannabees and posers**

IFR? crap, you ain't been IFR till you are suddenly in the soup with a difficult student who out of the blue says, "your controls". Damn straight better be IMC proficient and be able to multi-task and think on your feet.

Yes sir, everything is smoooooooth sailing up there once you are instrument proficient. NO benefit whatsoever from the discipline of teaching somebody else how to do something.

just sayin.

b.

* anybody else out there have the privilege of right seating an ILS at full power and a fixated student?

**kinda like this Toby Keith Song....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q85rPq1u9sc

* anybody else out there have the privilege of right seating an ILS at full power and a fixated student?

Its one of my favorite parts of instructing. I had one roll the plane about 60 degrees as ATC was reading holding instructions with an expedited climb about a mile from the holding fix in solid clouds and rain. He froze and I took over, read it all back, rolled level and entered the hold at the right altitude without a thought. I wouldn't have been able to do that if I hadn't been instructing for a while. I know its not that great of a feat, but I was proud of myself to end that debacle without a violation. (ATC was a little late on this one, they forgot they had someone else on the approach I was about to start)

CFi is not for everybody, but it was everything for me. Your instructor is probably burned out. Is he working alot of hours? Because you can even burn out on what you love.

Its one of my favorite parts of instructing. I had one roll the plane about 60 degrees as ATC was reading holding instructions with an expedited climb about a mile from the holding fix in solid clouds and rain. He froze and I took over, read it all back, rolled level and entered the hold at the right altitude without a thought. I wouldn't have been able to do that if I hadn't been instructing for a while. I know its not that great of a feat, but I was proud of myself to end that debacle without a violation. (ATC was a little late on this one, they forgot they had someone else on the approach I was about to start)

It IS a great feat!!

:rawk:

Really is a privilege aint it,

Your words....

"..Its one of my favorite parts of instructing.. .....I wouldn't have been able to do that if I hadn't been instructing for a while........but I was proud of myself "

Same thoughts here in O-town, probably a thousand times over in the the U.S of A.

b.

Been there

Or my favorite, the lets try to hold the glideslope with pitch when the throttle is dead idle, fixated on the GS. "Why is that horn going off?"

Oh man. I thought I knew it all when I had my commercial and 280 hours. Then I instructed for 700+ hours. Now I know a little bit about flying, and a lot about what I don't know.

Been there

Or my favorite, the lets try to hold the glideslope with pitch when the throttle is dead idle, fixated on the GS. "Why is that horn going off?"

that one is fun. I had one student ask if that was the middle marker (we don't have a middle marker)

Oh man...the IFR shenanigans are the best.

It always seems to be hard IFR when I take my instrument guys up for their first flight of approaches. Those flights were some of the butt-puckeringest I've ever had.

I actually wish I could CFI again. I probably could, but I hardly have enough time as it is. All I need is to spend more time flying, rather than at home with my girlfriend and dog. I find it extremely rewarding to teach!

Oh man, it seems like every single student loses it their first time in actual; at least a little bit. Some you need new drawers after, some you don't.

That brought back a flood of memories. My first actual was with a student, on a x-country (VFR) and our destination was 400 feet thick, 400 AGL. Pop up approach, then "we" went missed because "he" went full scale LOC deflection. Successful 2nd attempt. Great learning!!! That seems so long ago ...

Well... are you still "opting out" of being a CFI to hold out to try to find some right seat gig?

Man, for me, if I had taken the "fast track" I would be without a job. There is more to life than just hurrying to get to the next best thing.

If you can't be happy with where you are at now, then you are going to have a difficult time down the road.

Btw, TxAv- become a CFI and teach Aerobatic and formation flight, that pretty much covers the bases there :)

Back