Should I opt out of CFI program?

I don't think I would be doing my job with dedication. Besides I think the experience gained from being a flight instructor is worthless(At least on primary training.). I wanna fly lots of hardcore IFR. That to me would look better on a resume.

Ehh, trust me, you're way better off with a CFI at your level than "hardcore IFR" (whatever that is) with low hours.

Besides, if you're flying "hardcore IFR" in a light single-engine aircraft not on a 135 certificate somewhere, it might be interpreted as a "devil may care" attitude and a risky candidate.

I am glad you have confidence. A pilot who lacks such a thing would worry me. However a man who drives a sports car is known to be covering up for a lack of something. And to me a pilot whom has to brag about how they can out do another pilot is doing much the same... But again you might be able to fly one hell of a plane and handle it great. However to think you are better then the next is a pure assumption. Being humble is always a great thing at times.

didnt say i was better. said i can fly the plane better, because i have received instruction in flying an aircraft up to and including its limits. only debunking the argument that simply CFI'ing teaches you sooooo much about an airplane. i beg to differ.

didnt say i was better. said i can fly the plane better, because i have received instruction in flying an aircraft up to and including its limits. only debunking the argument that simply CFI'ing teaches you sooooo much about an airplane. i beg to differ.

Right, but never having flight instructed, how to do you compare acro with flight instructing?

I mean I can tell you the differences between part 91 flight instruction, part 135 training, part 135 flying and part 121 flying because I've done it all.

I'm just not seeing how you're able to make a fair assessment of what flight instructing does for you if you've never done it before.

I bet the guy giving the instruction was a mondo good airplane flyer.

Right, but never having flight instructed, how to do you compare acro with flight instructing?

I mean I can tell you the differences between part 91 flight instruction, part 135 training, part 135 flying and part 121 flying because I've done it all.

I'm just not seeing how you're able to make a fair assessment of what flight instructing does for you if you've never done it before.

I'll give you that, the only exposure I have to CFI's is a puppymill 141 school where frankly, it was the blind leading the blind and NO ONE had done any REAL flying on their own, because the 141 school holds everyones hand like a baby.

When I did get out on my own flying I felt a) holy crap I don't know anything, better learn quick! CFI'ing part 61 may provide a different experience. yes.

You're not talking about 141 vs. 61, though, you're just saying ANY flight instruction.

I've got a hint for you; EVERYBODY feels like they don't know anything when they pop out of training for the first time. If you don't feel that way, you're not paying attention.

I bet the guy giving the instruction was a mondo good airplane flyer.

damn right he was. i dont think every CFI has the skill he had in his pinky (some may, but getting a CFI paper doesnt provide magical skill/talent/learned abilities).

however, i did score better at competition than my CFI.

a big zero hours of dual given. not a CFI. got about 40 acro, and im not even scratching the surface of what a pro acro pilot knows.

i learned more on my first acro flight about how a plane flies than i ever learned in the first 200 hours of primary/inst/comm instruction.

First, I want to learn to do what you do; I think it is amazing.

Second, doesn't it seems reasonable, that the CFI(?) who taught you aerobatics knows something about the soft skills CFI'ing will give you as well as being a top knotch stick.

Just askin.

b.

First, I want to learn to do what you do; I think it is amazing.

Second, doesn't it seems reasonable, that the CFI(?) who taught you aerobatics knows something about the soft skills CFI'ing will give you as well as being a top knotch stick.

Just askin.

b.

beasly, i encourage EVERY pilot to get some basic aerobatic training! its awesome amounts of fun and like i said, i felt like i learned more about how an airplane flies (and how it DOESNT fly too!) in the first lesson than i ever learned all the way thru commercial license...

and im not sure about "soft skills"... thats just a personality thing. i got along with my instructor great but i wouldnt say he was very friendly. definitely Mr Miyagi style, beating the student with a stick until they get it right... NO! that SUCKED. here's how to do it! now YOU do it!

btw, im not dissing CFI'ing in general, im saying its NOT the only way, however it also may not lead to employment, as noted in my sig ;-)

being a CFI is just letting yourself fumble around the airplane while another noobie fumbles around and by stroke of luck you manage not to both crash it.

This statement is an insult to every CFI reading this thread. I have over 1200 dual given and I don't fumble around. I teach pilots-to-be the essential skills of safe flying. That includes taking the airplane to its limits, but not beyond. Let me ask you this. How would you know?

beasly, i encourage EVERY pilot to get some basic aerobatic training! its awesome amounts of fun and like i said, i felt like i learned more about how an airplane flies (and how it DOESNT fly too!) in the first lesson than i ever learned all the way thru commercial license...

and im not sure about "soft skills"... thats just a personality thing. i got along with my instructor great but i wouldnt say he was very friendly. definitely Mr Miyagi style, beating the student with a stick until they get it right... NO! that SUCKED. here's how to do it! now YOU do it!

Definitely want to do it, wish I had the cash (sigh).

The soft skills are the situational awareness required to handle different situations.

1. When teaching in the soup, don't let your teaching cause you to lose situational awareness.
  2. How to give the student enough rope to get his attention without hanging both of you should something go awry.
  3. as a CFI, you (hopefully) fly A LOT and you get a whole bunch of different situations in one day, that as a PPL you won't get in a year.

Your CFI, I am presuming, had his comfort envelope as well.

Did you ever mess up and he had to take the controls?

b.

This statement is an insult to every CFI reading this thread. I have over 1200 dual given and I don't fumble around. I teach pilots-to-be the essential skills of safe flying. That includes taking the airplane to its limits, but not beyond. Let me ask you this. How would you know?

fair, i should have inserted the word "fresh" before CFI. im speaking against this notion that magically just because you get a CFI it makes you SOOO much a better/more capable/more skilled pilot.

theres plenty of CFI's who are scary to fly with.

FWIW - the skydive outfit here has a twotter, but you need 1000TT to fly it because of insurance.

and about the stick and rudder nonsense....cut the crap. being a CFI is just letting yourself fumble around the airplane while another noobie fumbles around and by stroke of luck you manage not to both crash it.

you want stick skills? take a 10 hour acro class.

ill flatly guarantee i know i can handle a plane better than some 500 hour CFI who has probably done maybe one or two spins, ever.

To the original poster,

These are some of the justifications I was talking about when it comes to regretting not getting a CFI.

To TXaviator,

If you like to do acro thats cool. I would love to do a lot of it oneday, but I just dont have the disposable income right now. You really need to work on being more humble. Their are way too many aspects of aviation to say things like "I can handle a plane.....". Stick and rudder, CRM, ADM...

Basically, dont be a that guy. ( A D-bag). :)

To the original poster,

These are some of the justifications I was talking about when it comes to regretting not getting a CFI.

To TXaviator,

If you like to do acro thats cool. I would love to do a lot of it oneday, but I just dont have the disposable income right now. You really need to work on being more humble. Their are way too many aspects of aviation to say things like "I can handle a plane.....". Stick and rudder, CRM, ADM...

Basically, dont be a that guy. ( A D-bag). :)

I know I know, I just get heated when theres a huge one-sided discussion about the ONLY way to do things, when there ARE other options (like I said, might not result in being employable in the current market... haha)

I don't claim to know one cent about a lot of stuff... but having been in this kid's position I feel compelled to share my side.

Honestly, I'd tell him to just quit training right now and come back in a few years when/if things improve. (if he is financing his education/training)

haha hell yeah i did. in a situation which could have resulted in ripping the wings off and us both bailing out!

Which is a reason to pursue the CFI rating. At every level, it really does make you a better pilot.

btw, what exactly is that situation?

also, I once told my IFR student who had his JAA Aerobatic rating about my thoughts on just climbing to 10,000 and then hold constant left aileron to "see what would happen". Short answer from him, "don't"

Lesson being, at some level we are all still student pilots--the more I fly, the less I know.

best of luck to you.

b.

I'm 21. I just started my flight training here in FL. I have about 15 hours. I'm just saying that I would gain more experience flying PIC or right seat 135 cargo then supervising a student in cessna. This is just my opinion.

This just shows your lack of understanding of the industry. It's o.k. to be at that level with where your at right now too. You WILL not be able to find anything in the industry right now, and probably for a long time with a wet commercial. If you go to an FBO that rocks, then you will have fun at work. I was under the same impression as you when I was at school, but instructing is actually a ton of fun, I have learned a whole bunch about what makes an airplane do what it does (IFR and VFR stuff) and actually think I turn out a well prepared pilot when I am done.

GET YOUR CFI's! With out them, you'll be on the streets looking for work that just does not exist when your doen with your ratings. And haveing your commercial ratings does not entitle you to anything other than what the rest of us have to do. You till have to pay your dues.

Even if it was only for a short period of time, oh great jtrain.

Back