Scope Bribe

That's because money doesn't buy happiness. It's been proven over and over again

Actually, the opposite has been proven over and over again. The research shows that money does indeed buy happiness. It just has a plateau. Happiness increases as income approaches about $75k, then levels off, then picks back up again with the super-rich. Some polls have shown nearly 100% happiness rates among billionaires.

Actually, the opposite has been proven over and over again. The research shows that money does indeed buy happiness. It just has a plateau. Happiness increases as income approaches about $75k, then levels off, then picks back up again with the super-rich. Some polls have shown nearly 100% happiness rates among billionaires.
Yes I'm familiar with the $75k figure. I "assumed" that since we're talking AA pilots here, most everyone after year one pay will be at or above that figure. So, completely moot point.

Wow I don't even know where to begin. Yea I was hired before the merger but so what? At that point we weren't the biggest airline in the world making billions in profit. I don't care if I'm making more now than I would have been without the merger. The merger happened. The game is different now. WE deserve what we are worth.

Your line of thinking is similar to the "id do it for free because I love to fly" crowd. Just because this job is better than the regionals or the airways of old doesn't mean that we shouldn't be compensated like our peers. You need to change your view, for all of our sake.

While I agree in the principle, I do wonder how is it determined what one is worth? Is one worth whatever it is they can negotiate? Or are they worth whatever it is they're willing to work for? I'm just curious because I hear the phrase a lot, but wonder how it's quantified.

Yes I'm familiar with the $75k figure. I "assumed" that since we're talking AA pilots here, most everyone after year one pay will be at or above that figure. So, completely moot point.

Not really a moot point. It's always important to stick to facts, lest you harm the credibility of your argument.

Yeah, it's hard to be happy if you are scrounging for food. But once you get your basic needs met, money doesn't add much.

I agree with you 100%.

Yeah, it's hard to be happy if you are scrounging for food. But once you get your basic needs met, money doesn't add much.

I agree with you 100%.

Sort of, I equate happiness to money vs. free time. Having the freedom to do what you want to do helps also. Working 3-4 minimum jobs to make ends meet, may be enough for your financial needs every month, but I can't imagine being very happy living like that.

Even flying would suck in that situation.

Maybe money=freedom=happiness is a good metric?

If that's the case 2nd year 190 first officers ain't happy!!

New scope ask from APA proposal yesterday:

- 30 to 50 seat jets shall not exceed 65% of mainline narrowbody aircraft
- 51 to 70 seat jets shall not exceed 12% of mainline narrowbody aircraft
- 71 to 76 seat jets shall not exceed 26% of mainline narrowbody aircraft
I think as @ATN_Pilot pointed out previously the 50 seat jet being at 65% isn't a big deal as the economics aren't there anymore. Unless someone comes u with a super geared turbofan 50 seat RJ that burns 50% less gas.
I also hope that we include turboprops as well with jets.

I think its a fair counter, and will reveal what managements true ambition is with RJs. Profit sharing is nice but ill take a higher hourly wage over profit sharing even if it means less money in the long run. I like the idea of having another parity review so we don't get left in the dust when the other 2 carriers renegotiate their contracts and it helps the industry as a whole stay together. My advice is to not get to worked up in the union BS, lest you become an angry person.

I agree about profit sharing. I'd rather take the larger known pay than lower pay plus bonus. I would like to see stronger language for working open time to allow for your own bonus if you so desire. QOL and lower pay with the option to work hard/play hard and earn a lot of cash.

I think our latest proposal is more than fair and brings our scope in line with our competitors. It will be interesting to see if the company is truly willing to work with the pilot group or if this is all a charade.

Back