"Rough Rider" retrospective

Incidentally, for those interested in the "bad rap" of the Mitsi, this is a pretty good (albeit probably a bit one-sided...but that's ok because I agree) piece.

Here are a few of mine, you might have flown 15ET, it was leased from Air1st after ACT was reborn.
DSC00522.jpg
DSC00757copy.jpg

The "buttons and switches" cockpit pic is from 15ET, I'm pretty sure. It was always the better of the two Marquises we had, IMS. Although I think it didn't have the cargo door, so it was poop for charters. But of course that also meant that it could hold pressurization above like 20k. It looked a little better when I flew it! But that's never held a Mitsi back, has it? ;) Great pic.

Did y'all wind up with 741FN? That was my favorite ride. An old -36, but it had a cargo door and a 430! Queen of the fleet for charters. Plus, it had the old Gale Force paint job (well, most of it). I got pulled aside a couple of times by dudes flying Gulfstreams/Falcons, etc. to tell me about how they'd flown that very airplane 15 years earlier...with the same paint!

When I flew 135 cargo in my Chief, I had the same bunk setup in the back for the midday, with sleeping bag and pillow. Depending on the run at my company, you could have a company hotel room at the Laughlin resort for the daytime portion, or a company studio at Lake Havasu for the daytime, all the way to having a sleeping bag/pillow combo for the back of the plane, parked on the ramp at Window Rock or Holbrook for the day.

No didn't fly 741FN at least while I was there. We picked up 679BK, ET, and 400RX right before I left. RX was a turd of epic proportions, and I only flew it a few times. But I will say all of the airplanes that came from that operation were in really good shape, especially compared with what we had during the last year of ACT/Flightline.

But that is a whole 'nother story. I'll see if I can dig up some more pics and put them up later.

Hah! Yeah, 400RX was awful. When I was there, they pretty much kept it down with some old longtimer in TX who could handle its, uh, quirks. But I think I did one cycle in it. That was one too many. I always liked 679, but that opinion was controversial with some. Not sure what he paid for those paintjobs, but it was probably too much, cause they lasted about 6 months. That said, having seen a few ACT and Bankair mitsis, I agree that the Air 1st planes were in better shape. Admittedly, that's rather faint praise...

Here is another good one from back in the ACT days. This is the result of a massive hot start on a -6 from a L model. The Garrett gurus said they had never saw one as bad as this.
DSC00718.jpg

Oh yeah, I liked 679BK to, probably the best L model I ever flew. That being said, those things didn't like the mountains in the summer. I would much rather have a -60 with a Sperry autopilot and armrests. That and a full can of Skoal and my life was pretty good.

Back