RIP Edwin Pullen

HeyEng

Slowly but surely, our founding fathers of aviation are slowly dying off. Edwin Pullen of North Carolina was one of those pilots. My Grandfather told me of his passing and told me a number of stories of when he flew and worked on airplanes back in the day with him. His obit relays that he was a "pilot's pilot" and from my GP's accounts, he was a remarkable aviator. So, although I never had the chance to meet him...I would like to acknowledge his role in the founding of something we all love. I also think that it's admirable that he was married to his wife for 73 years!!! WOW...

On February 22, 2011 a pilot's pilot went to fly with God. No longer will Edwin Foy Pullen need man made wings to soar in God's heaven. Born April 17, 1915. He was preceded in death by his parents, Larry David Pullen and Elizabeth Davis Pullen, his three brothers, Lynward Pullen, Lester Pullen, Jasper Pullen, and his sister Nell P. Hankey, his grandson Jason Scott Ryals, and his daughter Becky Pullen Ryals.
He is survived by his beloved wife of 73 years, Irma P. Pullen; children, Ann P. Kern and husband, Buddy Kern; son, Edwin L. Pullen and wife, Margie Parrish Pullen; and son-in-law, M. Scott Ryals; grandchildren, Angela Delamar, Steve Delamar, Parrish Pullen, Martie Pullen Nunez, and Anna Ryals Aycock. He and Irma have six great-grandchildren.
Foy, as he was known, was an aviation pioneer. His aviation career began in 1930 and he retired in 1992. Foy not only excelled as pilot he was also a top notch mechanic. He was designated by the Department of Commerce (CAA forerunner of the FAA) as a Designated Examiner to test and issue the practical examinations for Aircraft as well as Power Plant to certify mechanics to perform maintenance on civilian airplanes and engines. Mr. Pullen was recognized in 1998 for his service and knowledge in this field by being awarded the Charles Taylor "Master Mechanic Award". Taylor was the mechanic for the Wright Brothers and this Master Mechanic's award is issued only to the highest and best in the nation. The plaque with the names of the recipients hangs in the aviation section of the Smithsonian Museum in Washington. Foy was also designated by the FAA to give the practical examination for pilots seeking their license for Private Pilot, Commercial, Instrument, and Multi-engine designations. His flying career encompassed barn-storming in the mid to late 1930's, teaching both in the classroom and in the air, Civil Pilot Training for military cadets in WW II, test flights for airplanes that were serviced in his maintenance shop, and in general every type of civilian flying that presented itself.
Foy and his wife Irma were long time members of Marvin Methodist Church in Rocky Mount where they were active in all facets of church life. The two of them were quite the pair as they lived an example in their witness for Jesus Christ.

Back