Returning to flying - Looking for advice

Welcome back to flying. I just saw an UPS add for pilots over in the jobs available thread, with a degree as preferred. My guess is that being UPS, a degree is probably 'required' but I'll let theUPS guys speak to that. There are a few of them running loose on this website.

UPS is not the job you apparently think it is. Maybe you’re thinking of UPS feeder jobs? But that’s not working for UPS.

UPS is not the job you apparently think it is. Maybe you’re thinking of UPS feeder jobs? But that’s not working for UPS.

UPS isn't even the job a lot of guys think it is.

FedEx is THE cargo job in the industry. UPS is a trucking company with airplanes, and the way they treat their pilots shows.

I really can't argue with the last sentence. I've had a great career but never knew anything else. At the end of my career, I'm worth a couple mil (not counting retirement), and really can't say I've ever worked all that hard. Great union. Perhaps I could have done the same elsewhere. Hard to say. But I'm glad I ended up in the freight biz for a number of reasons. Pax sucks for one.

UPS isn't even the job a lot of guys think it is.

FedEx is THE cargo job in the industry. UPS is a trucking company with airplanes, and the way they treat their pilots shows.
The only thing I really envy from the Brown side is the Queens. Wish we had those, but I hear they wish they had the 777s.

The only thing I really envy from the Brown side is the Queens. Wish we had those, but I hear they wish they had the 777s.

The problem with UPS, and this is the company as a whole, is that they treat their employees like garbage.

Hi all,

After a failed 2-year business venture, I have decided to return to flying. I currently have about 2,500 TT, of which around 1,500 is SIC B737/8 time (expat Copa Airlines flying).

I've been browsing around the different job listings, and though I seem to meet the published minimums at some of the major carriers, I must ask - What do you think my odds really are after being absent from flying for two years and no college degree?

A little background: I worked as a CFI and imagery pilot but left for Copa before being picked up by a regional. As I left for Copa with only a CMEL, I never obtained my FAA ATP. I did, however, complete my ATP written and required CTP course after returning to the US. No ding/dents on record or checkride/written failures (YET!) knocks on wood

I'm in my mid-thirties, single and quite flexible in terms of where I can live and equipment I fly. I would prefer a carrier that would allow me quite a bit of time at home -- even if this means sitting on reserve.

Long story short, I am looking for suggestions as to which path(s) would be best and realistically attainable in my current state. Also, has anyone been through a similar transition? If so, what materials would you recommend for bringing myself back up to speed aside from the FAR/AIM?

Many thanks in advance!
I have a friend with a similar track - also a former Copa guy. Went to a regional, then jumped over to another regional at a very right time, upgraded and should flow to AA well inside of the 5 year mark at the second regional.
Your Copa time by itself does not count for much, sorry to tell you that. Throw a couple of years of regional time and an upgrade on top, Spirit and JB might start talking to you. But as is, that time does not count for the 1000 hrs of 121 time for upgrading. Not having ATP is not going to help you either.
Get current, find a regional you'll be ok with for a few years and go from there.

I saw it in j'jobs available'. I probably missed something.

It’s at the same level as United, Delta, etc. It’s not a place you get hired on at as a low time person looking to get current. The 2nd year pay is close to $200,000/year, with excellent benefits. They hire retired experienced military or highly experienced civilian pilots.

I don’t think he flew at Ameriflight: only training department duties.

I’ve spent a lot of time in Louisville the last few months. I’ve yet to run into a bitter, burn this place down, UPS pilot.

Now, if this were a few years ago, before their contract ratification, different story.

yeah, I'm trying to figure out when the haterade entered the bloodstream. Were you kicked as a freightpuppy at AMF, @jtrain609?

You only need to get through the first page of Google results with UPS and the EEOC to get a handle of how things are run over there.

Every company is going to make mistakes, but UPS seems to really enjoy turning the screws to their employees.

UPS to Pay $2 Million to Resolve Nationwide EEOC Disability Discrimination Claims

Notice of Religious Discrimination Lawsuit Against United Parcel Service, Inc. (UPS)

Court Grants Judgment and Injunction in Favor of EEOC In Americans With Disabilities Act Lawsuit

But my absolute favorite is when they terminate military members in violation of USERRA. That takes the Cake when it comes to unethical behavior.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw1wZvLPjWMfupbu35K3y9As&cshid=1547257500389

Back