Looking at getting back into 121 flying. (open to suggestions)

Snow

'Not a new member'
Well after a 7yr break, I'm looking at getting back into airline flying. I've spent the past year or so flight instructing so I am IFR current and all that. I'd love to apply to fly some of the larger aircraft at majors / LCC but from my understanding they pretty much require recent 121 experience. So looks like I'm headed back to the regionals at least for a little while. I heard Skywest is hiring again, I am considering there, I've heard good things about their training program and they have a lot of hubs. Denver being appealing as there are direct flights there from my town. My ultimate goal is to fly international cargo. I wasn't too concerned about upgrade times but now I see places are bringing back turbine PIC requirements I may have to re think that.

Here's where I'm currently at. ATP CL-65, 4184 SIC multi engine jet 121, 4828TT 476PIC (sadly none of my PIC time is turbojet though)

Open to thoughts and suggestions. I know hiring has just started back but figured I might as well start getting my stuff together. My prediction is it's still going to be a while, given 3 airlines went belly up last year I assume they're going to hire people with more recent 121 experience than myself first.

Sounds like a good plan. Id still apply to the LCCs/ACMI as your issue is mostly currency. Hopefully being just a short stint at whatever regional you end up.
Do you have a 4 year degree? Once you get turbine PIC and hopefully other qualifications, Brown and Purple could open up for you. I'll leave it to those who work at those two to talk about the best way to get there. Best of luck!

You might just shoot a resume to a few cargo outfits like Atlas, they might be willing to over-look recency, and I don't think they care too much about TPIC anymore. There is something in the pilot barrel right now, but its not a deep layer, if cargo is what you want, apply there.

Yes I have a 4 year degree. Well I was thinking about Kalitta but they have a 500hr turbine PIC requirement. I have a friend there and he enjoys it, the $117hr starting pay isn't too bad either. Also with Kalitta you are home based, so not having to fly standby to work would be a nice change. Hum I spoke to someone who used to fly for Atlas, they didn't like it, they mentioned being gone for 3 weeks at a time but that was quite a while ago, probably improved somewhat since then.

I just know another friend of mine after taking a 6mo break from corporate flying, none of the majors would look at him but after flying for a regional for a year he got picked up by a LLC.

*Enters the room real quick*

Maybe check out ATI, they fly more domestic right now but have some international for AMC.

*Leaves the room swiftly before the poop starts flying*

This isn’t 2019 anymore, you can’t afford to be picky. If you really wanna be in 121 take the job that’s offered to you. There are literally thousands of qualified guys on the street with ExpressJet, trans states and Compass having gone TU recently.

Truth for now. Compass guys who were sitting in the left seat when the curtains closed are taking jobs at a start up sitting right seat making 30-35k.

This isn’t 2019 anymore, you can’t afford to be picky. If you really wanna be in 121 take the job that’s offered to you. There are literally thousands of qualified guys on the street with ExpressJet, trans states and Compass having gone TU recently.
Yeah but that isn't gonna last for long, I bet money within 2yrs the regionals will be hurting for pilots again. That was my concern too but one of my inside sources seems to think I'd be competitive. Besides who knows how many of those former airline guys will even want to return to 121, some will move on to other things.

Yeah but that isn't gonna last for long, I bet money within 2yrs the regionals will be hurting for pilots again. That was my concern too but one of my inside sources seems to think I'd be competitive. Besides who knows how many of those former airline guys will even want to return to 121, some will move on to other things.

Regionals are already hurting.

Yes I have a 4 year degree. Well I was thinking about Kalitta but they have a 500hr turbine PIC requirement. I have a friend there and he enjoys it, the $117hr starting pay isn't too bad either. Also with Kalitta you are home based, so not having to fly standby to work would be a nice change. Hum I spoke to someone who used to fly for Atlas, they didn't like it, they mentioned being gone for 3 weeks at a time but that was quite a while ago, probably improved somewhat since then.

I just know another friend of mine after taking a 6mo break from corporate flying, none of the majors would look at him but after flying for a regional for a year he got picked up by a LLC.

Atlas isn’t terrible if you can get past the pay for the short term. Most trips range from 5-17 days depending on what you bid and what not. I just finished a 6 day pattern followed by 8 days off and about to start a 15 day pattern that will be followed by 10 days off. I am on a 60 day split schedule for May and June though. I am on the 74 and with Gateway basing, it’s been a decent gig for me. If you can on with Atlas, Get yourself a widebody type and I believe that can get ya in the door to Kalitta without the PIC time if that is the direction you want to go. ATI is also hiring as well with homebasing. I agree, gateway and home base is a great deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Atlas isn’t terrible if you can get past the pay for the short term. Most trips range from 5-17 days depending on what you bid and what not. I just finished a 6 day pattern followed by 8 days off and about to start a 15 day pattern that will be followed by 10 days off. I am on a 60 day split schedule for May and June though. I am on the 74 and with Gateway basing, it’s been a decent gig for me. If you can on with Atlas, Get yourself a widebody type and I believe that can get ya in the door to Kalitta without the PIC time if that is the direction you want to go. ATI is also hiring as well with homebasing. I agree, gateway and home base is a great deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It really can be fun, but it’s a shame the management has no intention on making it a career airline. Just a few relatively minor changes and it could be the best job in aviation.

It really can be fun, but it’s a shame the management has no intention on making it a career airline. Just a few relatively minor changes and it could be the best job in aviation.

I agree. I am fairly née here still. I will reassess where I am at after I am off of probation get some more long haul flying under my belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back