Republic Files Chapter 11

That's said as if you're familiar with my professional background. Which I doubt.

Perhaps you should get to know someone before you say something about such.

And I get it Sam, you love being a CRJ Captain at ExpressJet. Congrats.

Do three out of five 4days that get extended into 5 or 6 days because of Company incompetence and you may have a different idea about how pleasant it is to work here. And after over 8 years of such incompetence, it's a little difficult to express a high sense of optimism that these chronic problems will be resolved.

Perspective Sam. Ours is different. And it's okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No one's shooting at me. I'm not shoving a frozen water bottle down my chicken plate in a futile attempt to stay cool. Extended?? I was terrified until the day I landed stateside that they would tell me to turn around, unpack my stuff and head back.
Yeah, our perspective is different. I've had jobs that really sucked. This isn't one of them.

So incredibly glad we didn't get to fly together.
That's fine. I don't seem to have senior FOs bidding around me so I can't be too much of an ass. I just have a perspective on life that makes me try to see the good in life and not piss and moan about everything, especially things I can't control. I'm not away from my family for a year+ wondering if I will ever see them again. No one is trying to kill me. So yeah, this job does not even tank close to being a suck job. Is everything great? No. I don't know of a perfect job. But looking back on my life I can think of far worse places to be.

Just to clarify.
I know everyone has a different perspective on life. Mine... Well, in the words of Roy Batty, "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe." Trying to guide a non-English speaker through a poorly marked minefield in the Sahara Desert... changed my perspective. Such things, as the beauty of seeing the stars at night in the Saharah while eating at a burned out old French Foreign Legion fort on patrol has given me a perspective where I realized life is too short to complain about everything. LGA has a 1.5 hour taxi? Oh well. I'll live.
Yes, some people may have a more negative view. That's fine. Live that way. Just don't insist on pulling me and others down with your negativity and "suck", especially a new hire who can form his/her own opinions of their job.
Do I enjoy what I do? Yeah. But when someone asks my advice I try to give them the unvarnished truth so they can make an informed decision. Just as I don't go around telling a new hire "Welcome to Wonderland" I wouldn't expect someone to tell a new person "Prepare to embrace the suck."

Last edited:
No one's shooting at me. I'm not shoving a frozen water bottle down my chicken plate in a futile attempt to stay cool. Extended?? I was terrified until the day I landed stateside that they would tell me to turn around, unpack my stuff and head back.
Yeah, our perspective is different. I've had jobs that really sucked. This isn't one of them.

Cool Sam.

We wear the uniform and are familiar with the conditions in which we will be subject. We did, after all, volunteer for it.

As I imagine you would be familiar, welcome to the suck is a regular statement said by members of the military and is usually said in jest or in seriousness depending on the situation.

That said, if you haven't encountered the numerous logistical issues I have faced then it isn't difficult for me to recognize that you've been pretty lucky. Or, perhaps, you're okay working with an organization that should be able to perform better. I however have better expectations for organizational leadership.

It is okay if you and I disagree.

Cool Sam.

We wear the uniform and are familiar with the conditions in which we will be subject. We did, after all, volunteer for it.

As I imagine you would be familiar, welcome to the suck is a regular statement said by members of the military and is usually said in jest or in seriousness depending on the situation.

That said, if you haven't encountered the numerous logistical issues I have faced then it isn't difficult for me to recognize that you've been pretty lucky. Or, perhaps, you're okay working with an organization that should be able to perform better. I however have better expectations for organizational leadership.

It is okay if you and I disagree.

Yeah. I've encountered numerous logistical issues. They happen. So you know what? I write them up and hope someone takes care of them higher up the food chain. If I can affect them I try to. If I can't, oh well. I do what I can and try to see the positive instead of seeing the negative in every situation and trying to drag others down with my negativity. Everything isn't unicorns and rainbows, but it also isn't the negative nebobs of pessimimism you make it out to be. Life is too short. So you know what? Let the new hire enjoy the moment. Don't be that guy who tries to make everyone's life suck as much as yours.

Now the term "embrace the suck", if you are comparing what you did in the military with what you do as a regional pilot I have to question what you did in the military. When I heard "embrace the suck" it was during infantry training when I was in 3' of muck and it was sleeting. Or when I had SEALS in my stick at airborne school and they had my entire stick volunteer for the gig pit. Or SERE school at Camp McCall in January as the SRO, getting the crap beaten out of me and starving to death because I had not eaten in 5 days. Now that was "embracing the suck." Getting extended? Yawn.

Last edited:
Yeah. I've encountered numerous logistical issues. They happen. So you know what? I write them up and hope someone takes care of them higher up the food chain. If I can affect them I try to. If I can't, oh well. I do what I can and try to see the positive instead of seeing the negative in every situation and trying to drag others down with my negativity. Everything isn't unicorns and rainbows, but it also isn't the negative nebobs of pessimimism you make it out to be. Life is too short. So you know what? Let the new hire enjoy the moment. Don't be that guy who tries to make everyone's life suck as much as yours.

Now the term "embrace the suck", if you are comparing what you did in the military with what you do as a regional pilot I have to question what you did in the military. When I heard "embrace the suck" it was during infantry training when I was in 3' of muck and it was sleeting. Or when I had SEALS in my stick at airborne school and they had my entire stick volunteer for the gig pit. Or SERE school at Camp McCall in January as the SRO, getting the crap beaten out of me and starving to death because I had not eaten in 5 days. Now that was "embracing the suck." Getting extended? Yawn.

Well, here's an outside perspective.

My father grew up in the "Jim Crow" south in full segregation, and in the 50's got drafted to fight in a war against people he had no quarrel with for a country which, up to that point, turned a blind eye to segregation. Close quarters combat, the North Koreans shot his first cat when his base got overrun and the Chinese (Well, the combatants got a lot taller with very crude weapons), while attacking the base, took their other. Yes, he was more pissed about that than he was about a bunch of strangers shooting at him because he could defend himself and his buddies on the firing line, but those cats, man. What did they ever do to anyone? Got back to rural Alabama after serving his commitment to a region more concerned with maintaining his racial caste than his selfless duty, for our nation, in Korea.

But if my order of nachos at TGI Fridays suck, I'm flagging the waitress down and sending the damned things back to the kitchen. I'm gonna! :)

My father grew up in the "Jim Crow" south in full segregation, and in the 50's got drafted to fight in a war against people he had no quarrel with for a country which, up to that point, turned a blind eye to segregation. Close quarters combat, the North Koreans shot his first cat when his base got overrun and the Chinese (Well, the combatants got a lot taller with very crude weapons), while attacking the base, took their other. Yes, he was more pissed about that than he was about a bunch of strangers shooting at him because he could defend himself and his buddies on the firing line, but those cats, man. What did they ever do to anyone? Got back to rural Alabama after serving his commitment to a region more concerned with maintaining his racial caste than his selfless duty, for our nation, in Korea.

But if my order of nachos at TGI Fridays suck, I'm flagging the waitress down and sending the damned things back to the kitchen. I'm gonna! :)
That, my friend, is a great way to get balls dipped in your food.

So... Too early to speculate on whats happening to RAHs alleged C series or should we just keep playing taps with our hats in hand?
If Delta wants the C Series, this is a killer opportunity to get them with deliveries slated for this year. Bombardier is praying that someone sweeps in to take over this order for 40 C300 and the option for 40 more.

I simply imagine an organization with over 308 aircraft operating nationwide would have more than one reroute scheduler per fleet type during an IROP situation.

Same goes for having only ONE person who can process hotel accommodations through the third party vendor during an IROP.

If that is too much of a logistical issue then I suppose my expectations are too high for what should be a fairly well ran operation.

Indianapolis-based Republic Airways Holdings and 2,100 pilots with Teamsters Local 357 have reached a tentative agreement that pilots.

That's the first sentence I read, right under the picture there. .... Uhh... WHAT?

Republic has been losing more pilots than it can hire. Part of the reason stems from a rule Congress passed that raised the required experience level for first officers from 250 hours to 1,500 hours.

The other part is the starting salary being hilariously low.

Sorry if anyone's on board with RAH here.
My entire feeling has just been...

jags.gif

Fortunately my dad did not encounter what yours did when he got home.
He was drafted his sophomore year of college in 1943. In one night his division list 800 men in Europe. 800 in one day.
Flash forward to 1948. He returned to U. Of Missouri and picked up where he left off playing football. He use to talk about the strange dynamics of the tream. There were a bunch of young kids, all under 21, who complained about everything. It was too hot. Too cold. Coaches were mean. Food was bad. Then there were a bunch of players on their mid to late 20's who were just happy to be alive and have all their limbs. Different perspectives.

Alright Sam. You win.

Lol

You see, you still don't get it. There is no winner, no loser. In the words of Curly, the secret to life is just one thing. You figure that out and the rest doesn't matter. Though his words were more colorful.
You seem to be under this delusion that if you make it anywhere else but XJT things will be so much different. Don't get me wrong. You will be paid more at a legacy/LLC than here. Your contract will probably be better. The long term prospects of the company will be better. Heck, I encourage every FO to get their apps out as soon as possible.
But you will still have scheduling issues. Management will still not be able to find their posterior from their elbow. Ground operations? Who do you think runs most of our ground operations? Heck, when LGA melted down last summer it had nothing to do with XJT, it was an issue with Delta.
So the job you will do will still, essentially, be the same thing except a bigger paycheck and bigger airplanes, though only slightly if you are on the DRJ or the Baby Bus. Heck, that's why my brother in the right seat of the 330 doesn't upgrade- he does not want my job.
If you are as miserable now with your life as you seem to be, after the initial excitement of being in the "big leagues" wears off you will probably be just as miserable if you move on.

I actually feel sorry for people like you who are so miserable with their lives.

Back