R.I.P. RIA

womanpilot73

As of 2pm this afternoon, Ryan Int'l Airlines ceased all operations. In business for 40 years, it's sad to see it end. I dispatched Ryan's last 2 flights yesterday...somewhat surreal. But even more surreal was getting the word today that we're done, turning in our badges and saying goodbye. Sad day...

There is some hope that we may be resurrected by an investor, but I'm actively on the job hunt in the event that does not happen.

So grateful for the experience I gained at RIA in my first 6 months as a dispatcher. Being able to dispatch worldwide, ETOPS flights in widebody aircraft as a dispatcher right out of school was a great experience, albeit painful at times! So much to learn and right out of school I was in so over my head. But by the end I feel I learned so much and am excited about my future in dispatching. I love this job...

Sorry to hear the news. I know shutdowns suck, having been through one myself a while back. But you know who else is currently hiring in the area, so be sure and apply!

manniax said:
Sorry to hear the news. I know shutdowns suck, having been through one myself a while back. But you know who else is currently hiring in the area, so be sure and apply!

Thank you... And I did! :)

I know the feeling, and have gone through that in the past. Very sorry to hear.

International ETOPS is amazing experience to have, though, as you said. Good luck on what's next!

TomatoFlames said:
I know the feeling, and have gone through that in the past. Very sorry to hear.

International ETOPS is amazing experience to have, though, as you said. Good luck on what's next!

I appreciate that Tomato :) I am hoping that experience will help me get my next gig.

I feel for ya, on my 21st birthday Aloha Airlines filed for bankruptcy and got liquidated...:(

I feel for ya, on my 21st birthday Aloha Airlines filed for bankruptcy and got liquidated...:(

I remember that day, it was a sad day! I have heard that the old investors are trying to get Aloha started back up and they are still going after Mesa Holdings because of some illegal things they did.

PHL_Approach said:
I heard last night... Sorry to hear it happened earlier than you anticipated too. So you worked that YQB-RFD?

Thanks... Yes, I did plan, dispatch and follow that flight. As well as the LEJ-RFD.

We all did the best we could do with the tools we were handed. It's a testament to the skill and talent of everyone in the SOC that allowed Ryan to live as long as it did.

I suppose now we can call ourselves real dispatchers, since the adage is that you haven't really worked for the airlines until you've shut one down!

On to the next adventure!

pljenkins said:
We all did the best we could do with the tools we were handed. It's a testament to the skill and talent of everyone in the SOC that allowed Ryan to live as long as it did.

I suppose now we can call ourselves real dispatchers, since the adage is that you haven't really worked for the airlines until you've shut one down!

On to the next adventure!

Well said PJ. Can't wait to see what's next! Thanks for everything along the way. Stay in touch! :)

Back