Question for ATP graduates

I am seriously considering ATP as my choice for flight training. I plan to do my private locally and then transfer to ATP for their professional pilot program. That is provided that any of the local schools fit their criteria for private pilot training. I was just looking for answers to a few questions.

How long did you CFI before you were hired on to an airline?

Which airline did you start your career with?

Is there any one thing that you think makes ATP stand out from the rest of the pack?

Which branch did you attend? I am thinking of attending Manassas Virginia or Atlanta Georgia. I was thinking of Chicago, but I recently learned that Chicago doesn't offer the professional pilot program.

And last, did ATP help you find a job with an airline, and if so, how did they help? Do they have connections to regional airlines or do they just simply give you a letter of reccomendation?

I really appreciate your help
Brian

I finished ATP's program, however I just got done, So i am no where near going to the airlines, but I will try and answer to the best of myknowledge.

How long did you CFI before you were hired on to an airline?
This answer is all depends on which location you are training at. If in jax,its possible that you meet the minnimums in only 8 months instructing, but if you are in bowling green or something it might take you year and a half or more. The last instructor that i knew that left for the airlines i think was instructing for about a year.

Which airline did you start your career with?
If you look at the instructor status page on ATP's website you'll see that a lot of our instructors have gotten on with Chautauqua Airlines.

Is there any one thing that you think makes ATP stand out from the rest of the pack?
Here is why I think ATP stands out against all the other "academies". At ATP you gain a lot of multi time, and if you get on as an instructor, almost all your timeis in a multi. The instructors that i know that have gone on the the airlines had 1200tt with 1000 multi. Its also cheaper and quicker than the other schools.

Which branch did you attend? I am thinking of attending Manassas Virginia or Atlanta Georgia. I was thinking of Chicago, but I recently learned that Chicago doesn't offer the professional pilot program.
I did the program in Jax.

And last, did ATP help you find a job with an airline, and if so, how did they help? Do they have connections to regional airlines or do they just simply give you a letter of reccomendation?
ATP does not offer a bridge program or anything like that. But I do know they help out in getting a job. I dont know the details on what they do, but i do know its more than a letter of recommendation.

-Brian

I instructed at ATP for just under a year prior to getting hired at Chautauqua. I had 1050 total time with 900 multi. The sole reason I got the interview was because Jim Koziarski sent my resume in along with a letter of recommendation. Trust me that if you do a good job at ATP, your hard work will be recognized by those in charge and will pay off with an airline job.

Travis

P.S. In addition to the multi time, I think that the other main "advantage" to ATP is the great experience you will gain during the cross country phase of your training. I flew from Sacremento, CA to Jacksonville, FL and then all up and down the eastern seaboard (Washington to Miami and a lot of places in between). After finishing the cross country flying, you will be an extremely sharp and proficient pilot.

[ QUOTE ]

P.S. In addition to the multi time, I think that the other main "advantage" to ATP is the great experience you will gain during the cross country phase of your training. I flew from Sacremento, CA to Jacksonville, FL and then all up and down the eastern seaboard (Washington to Miami and a lot of places in between). After finishing the cross country flying, you will be an extremely sharp and proficient pilot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey socal, what type of equipment do you fly? And yes, I agree, The cross country experience seems like it would be exciting enough to make one wet theirself to say the least. Other schools offer the same thing, but what they fail to tell you is that they charge you extra for the fuel afterwards while ATP includes it in the beginning price. Jim is doing his best to find a flight school in my area that meets their criteria for transferral to their pro pilot program. Also, the fact that you are flying up and down the East Coast in some of the busiest air traffic in the world makes the experience you gain invaluable to say the least.

Hey Socal!!

Long time no talk!

How is everything?

I heard that you are with Ameriflight now?

Send me an email:giladal@yahoo.com

Here is the line you love so much!
"COMEON!!!!"
smile.gif

Take care bro

Gil

I started at ATP in San Diego in Dec of 98. I interviewed at Mesa in Dec of 99 and started ground school 3 weeks later. I had 775 TT with 625 multi.

Obviously times have changed and the current market is flooded. Bearing that in mind, I feel that ATP continues to offer the best value for your dollar. Multi time is still golden, as is the cross country.

How long it takes to get hired will vary. Right now Mesa is hiring like crazy. Several other regionals will be doing the same if they're not already. Considering how deep the applicant pool is, a recommendation is the key to getting the interview.

Hope this helps.

-B

Yup, Bogbert wasn't too happy working the 'ground' side of the cargo operation!

BTW, you EVER going to get rid of that 210 area code on your cell phone?
smile.gif

I love my 210 area code ... it's the only part of my life that doesn't change every 6 months.

grin.gif

Back