QC2 +U fly Mike = good headset??????

akrand

I'm looking at getting my husband a new headset for his birthday. We have a a set of Bose QC2's and he has been looking at getting the U fly Mike boom. Are they any good?

Also, which one would I get?? Since I'm not a pilot, I'm not sure which boom to get from U fly mike.

He flys the CRJ.... any other headset we should look into that he might like?? He has a 6 year old pair of Telex that he is not so thrilled about (he has to wear ear plugs with them and he hates that). Also, (This might be a stupid question, but i"m not a pilot, so I need help. :) ) he also just put in for Netjets and if he gets a job there, I want something that he will be happy with no matter what he flies...if it be the CRJ or some business jet....kwim?

I'm not sure if it has been TSO approved (but last I was told - it was not).

I would find out if his company requires the use of a TSO approved headset before purchasing it.

But even then. . .some guys use non-TSO approved headsets in TSO Approved only cockpits.

I've heard great things about the combination though, from a CRJ pilot.

Always wear a TSO-approved headset because you never know when you're going to have the "mother of all ramp checks". It happens.

QC2 and U fky Mike is an excellent headset.

I use it instructing in GA planes, as well as in a CJ1. In both cockpits it is excellent. Quiet, unbelievably comfortable, and cheap compared to other noise cancelling headsets. The only thing that I would like to see improved by it is that when the battery dies (1 AAA), you not only lose the noise cancelling aspect, but you lose all audio. As long as you have a spare battery, it is the best headset out there, as far as I'm concerned.

I flew with an FO that had one. I was curious about his headset as he was curious about mine (Bose X). I thought that the QC was exceptionally light and comfortable but compared to the Bose X, it wasn't as quiet. If my Bose ever craps out, I would definitely consider the QC as a replacement if were TSO approved by that time.

I have flown about 1000 hrs with my QC2/uflymike and love it. I think it is as quiet as the X, half as expensive, and lighter. I have used it in everything from banner planes with open headers to Tprops with no problem. I love the ease in which I can listen to my tunes while not missing a beat with ATC. I did have a problem recently with the uflymike portion... so I sent it back to CO with a note, and it was returned to me within a week. You do get a warning before the batteries run out, and it takes me only about 5 seconds to change. Great product.

Always wear a TSO-approved headset because you never know when you're going to have the "mother of all ramp checks". It happens.

Doug don't you go start spreading that lie too. Unless your airline specifically requires it, there IS NO FAA REQUIREMENT TO USE A TSOed HEADSET!!! Mother of all ramp checks included. :)

Yes, that is correct Rocketman99. But, most people who use these headset know very well that they are not TSO approved - and - that their respective companies require them to use a TSO Approved headset.

Hence the issue.

I bought the QC@ and UFlyMike setup in January, and LOVE IT. Has definately been worth every penny I paid so far (and thats saying a lot coming from this cheap arse pilot).

Only regret about the whole thing is that I didn't purchase it sooner!

Since I don't think I've noticed any recommendations besides the QC2+UflyMike. . .

If I may:

Telex 850 offers ANR, without a battery pack. Also lightweight, but it's not an over the ear headset.

Telex 500, offers ANR, but has a battery pack, lightweight but is an over the ear headset.

Hopefully someone can recommend some Sennheiser sets, I don't have any experience with them so I'll hold back.

I knew a guy that flew with the QC2 headset with the U Fly Mike.

I have a Bose Aviation X headset. We swapped one day for a few minutes to see what the difference was.

The Aviation X has a little more ear seal coverage and is just a tiny, tiny bit quieter.

The Aviation X is also considerably more expensive. I got mine gently used on Ebay. Combined with rechargeable batteries, it was pretty economical.

I say, check out the U-Fly-Mike setup for TSO requirement suitability. If it won't cut it, check out some of the newer Active Noise Canceling headsets on the market. Some of them are very competitively priced, and just as good as the Aviation X.

Sidenote: Do not compromise your hubby's hearing protection. Over time, turbine engine noise, cockpit "wind noise" and gearbox noise produces hearing loss in the mid-vocal range. In other words, the human female voice. As he ages.. it's not that he's ignoring you, he just can't hear you.. or understand you.

I imagine this one's been milked to death, but if you help him stay ahead of it he can never use this excuse on you. Us pilots are slippery devils. :D

Back