PUBNAT7 One week only.

I actually heard that there was a PEPC already scheduled in September, and that theoretically that would be meant for Pubnat7.

Seems kind of soon though, given testing is just wrapping up. If this is right, Geoprefs will be out sometime in July, an abnormally fast turnaround compared to the other groups. But hey, who knows. :bandit:

I actually heard that there was a PEPC already scheduled in September, and that theoretically that would be meant for Pubnat7.

Seems kind of soon though, given testing is just wrapping up. If this is right, Geoprefs will be out sometime in July, an abnormally fast turnaround compared to the other groups. But hey, who knows. :bandit:

daddy likes!!!

My mother was an air traffic controller actually (instructor now). The few women she worked with were...how do I put it nicely...butch... and angry:eek:. lol. Seems to be the norm with female controlers... Enjoy!

EEEK!:eek: That does not sound like fun! None of the ladies on here seem like that. Here's to changing the face of female controllers!:beer:

Does anyone know where to find which facilities are in desperate need of controllers? Is there a certain area on the FAA website? Just wondering so I can start thinking about where I want to go when (and if) I get picked. :beer:

Well at least you didn't start a new thread for this too, but the information is already out there....

Anyway, the only way to tell if the facility is hiring is to call them up and ask. The FAA no longer publishes the need at each facility. They never really did, but the previous hiring process hired by state instead of throughout the nation. So, if the state was hiring, you could apply within the state. It doesn't work that way anymore.

My advice, think of a couple states you would like, look up the FAA facilities in those states, and call them up and ask them their situation. As I found out, high number of facilities does not necessarily mean high number of openings.

It is going to be another 2-3 months till you get your GeoPrefs email anyway, so you have time

Do you think getting your name in front of as many people as possible is a good idea, or do you think it would be detrimental?

Ab-so-lute-ly. Once you've applied, there are only three things you can really do that'll help your chances:

1. Get a good AT-SAT score. You've done all you could towards this end by now.
2. Apply to places with the greatest need. Lots can be said about this, but like someone said a few posts back, you'll figure this out best by talking to people at the facilities you're interested in. Try local NATCA reps too; most are more than happy to help potential controllers. You may want to play the odds some by having your first choice be your "ideal" place and your second be a "safe" place that has greater need.
3. Get your name known to the people who'll do the selections. That means getting in touch with district managers, or, in the case of some Centers, facility managers. It takes a lot of calls, plenty of time, and you'll have varying success depending on how helpful the individuals you speak with are (some managers are great, some are terrible), but if you're serious about the career and don't want to just leave it to chance, it's worth the effort.

To be honest, it's a small handful of people who bother putting in that effort. People do get hired at their first choice facilities without doing anything special, of course... but if you really want to end up somewhere, why leave it to chance? The manager of my facility told me that there were 20 openings alloted to them at my panels, and had I not visited and spoken with her to show that I was interested, she would've probably ended up picking someone local over me. Hard work pays off.

MATH question.

I was practicing Math on CD (green book). Here is one of the questions that came up:

The airplane is climbing 35 ft/sec, speed 350MPH. What altitude the plane is going to be at in 150 miles?:crazy:

So:
1. 350MPH = approx 6 MPMin
2. 150/6=25 min(flight time)
3. 25*60=1500 sec (flight time)
4. 35*1500=52500 ft

It's a 4 step problem and we are supposed to do it in the head...

Anything like this on the test?:crazy:

MATH question.

I was practicing Math on CD (green book). Here is one of the questions that came up:

The airplane is climbing 35 ft/sec, speed 350MPH. What altitude the plane is going to be at in 150 miles?:crazy:

So:
4. 35*1500=52500 ft

You may have to round a little bit, but it's all stuff you can do in your head.

keep practicing the math in the book but all the problems are much much easier. I was freaking about it, but everyone I have talked to said it was one of the easiest sections and I tend to agree. It is better to be over prepared and breezing through the test than under prepared and not able to work the problems.

MATH question.

So:
4. 35*1500=52500 ft

I dont believe there are any questions on the AT-SAT that have climbing at feet per second. It's all FPM (feet per minute).

But, you seem to be very excited, take a nice glass of adult beverage, and sit back and STOP thinking about the AT-SAT. Go in, you've prepared yourself enough, go and kill it now!

I dont believe there are any questions on the AT-SAT that have climbing at feet per second. It's all FPM (feet per minute).

But, you seem to be very excited, take a nice glass of adult beverage, and sit back and STOP thinking about the AT-SAT. Go in, you've prepared yourself enough, go and kill it now!

Practice makes perfect:beer:

Nooooo. The Green Book is misleading on a lot of AT-SAT stuff, so take everything in it with a grain of salt. The math questions are a good example; questions on the test will generally be much easier to round off. In other words, don't worry about it too much.

And don't even bother messing with the CD's Letter Factory or Scenarios portions. Or Scan. Or really, anything else. The book will be okay practice for questions, Jeremy Justice's website for Scan and Scenarios (remember that for the Scan you have to go directly to the Flash file, because his web page is messed up), and the Letter Factory you'll figure out on the test day -- it's not too tough to learn.

Nooooo. The Green Book is misleading on a lot of AT-SAT stuff, so take everything in it with a grain of salt. The math questions are a good example; questions on the test will generally be much easier to round off. In other words, don't worry about it too much.

And don't even bother messing with the CD's Letter Factory or Scenarios portions. Or Scan. Or really, anything else. The book will be okay practice for questions, Jeremy Justice's website for Scan and Scenarios (remember that for the Scan you have to go directly to the Flash file, because his web page is messed up), and the Letter Factory you'll figure out on the test day -- it's not too tough to learn.

Thank you!!! :yourock:

Maria and any other test takers... if I'm not too late, here is my .02. For me, any problem that seemed difficult (i.e.- difficult numbers to multiply/divide), the answers were obvious if you just rounded off. Second, for me personally, converting the MPH to MPM did not help at all. Is a matter of fact, it probably wasted even more time. However, it wouldn't hurt to get the conversions down in your head. Lastly, as everyone else says, relax and take it easy. You'll do fine.

Maria and any other test takers... if I'm not too late, here is my .02. For me, any problem that seemed difficult (i.e.- difficult numbers to multiply/divide), the answers were obvious if you just rounded off. Second, for me personally, converting the MPH to MPM did not help at all. Is a matter of fact, it probably wasted even more time. However, it wouldn't hurt to get the conversions down in your head. Lastly, as everyone else says, relax and take it easy. You'll do fine.

Thank you!:beer:

Back