Possibly leaving professional aviation...

I looked at Boeing briefly but again, it seems all the jobs are in specific fields with in depth requirements and previous experience which I don't have.

I worked at Boeing for 15+ years. Those postings are all using the standard language that they have to. If you remotely fit the position, apply for it. You would be amazed at not only some of the far out resumes I got as a hiring manager, but at some of the people I hired that you may not think fit the job description. You have the degree, so apply. The only ones I would avoid are any requiring an ABET Enginnering degree as they are hard over on that one.

Happy to share my resume with you via email if you like.

I worked at Boeing for 15+ years. Those postings are all using the standard language that they have to. If you remotely fit the position, apply for it. You would be amazed at not only some of the far out resumes I got as a hiring manager, but at some of the people I hired that you may not think fit the job description. You have the degree, so apply. The only ones I would avoid are any requiring an ABET Enginnering degree as they are hard over on that one.

Happy to share my resume with you via email if you like.

Pm sent

Hey guys,

It's been a little while since I've been on here but am back and looking at options for getting out of flying. After more thought on it, LE seems like it has some of the same negatives as flying (working holidays, crazy hours, being in a dangerous environment though flying isn't nearly as dangerous).

I am going to start looking for jobs in Seattle, not really in any specific categories. If I could find something in aviation that would be great but that's not going to be a limiting factor.

Since my previous jobs consisted of Line Service -> Flight Instructing -> Airline pilot, how do I build my resume to look competitive in the jobs I'd want to apply to?

This is exactly why I am so thankful I didn't fly professionally right away since I would have not appreciated the job and always wondered what it was like on the other side. I spent way more money training for my finance job than I did flying, got the MBA and eventually made more than the RJ Captains that I sling the gear for now. I hated life, sitting at the desk for 50 plus hours a week and having a laptop that followed me home on the weekends. I could never relax on my vacations because I knew my TPS reports were piling up, waiting for me to return. I took a massive pay cut to fly and a lot of people thought I was crazy for doing it but I am so much happier. The flying job is far from perfect but I can really appreciate a lot of things now that so many take for granted. I never take my job home, have half the month or more off, the days I work I fly an average of 3 legs a day with many long 20 plus hr layovers in large cities with lots to do and if I don't mess up I never have to see my boss. I would still recommend getting out to see for yourself if you're not happy, maybe you will be back someday or maybe you won't.

This is exactly why I am so thankful I didn't fly professionally right away since I would have not appreciated the job and always wondered what it was like on the other side. I spent way more money training for my finance job than I did flying, got the MBA and eventually made more than the RJ Captains that I sling the gear for now. I hated life, sitting at the desk for 50 plus hours a week and having a laptop that followed me home on the weekends. I could never relax on my vacations because I knew my TPS reports were piling up, waiting for me to return. I took a massive pay cut to fly and a lot of people thought I was crazy for doing it but I am so much happier. The flying job is far from perfect but I can really appreciate a lot of things now that so many take for granted. I never take my job home, have half the month or more off, the days I work I fly an average of 3 legs a day with many long 20 plus hr layovers in large cities with lots to do and if I don't mess up I never have to see my boss. I would still recommend getting out to see for yourself if you're not happy, maybe you will be back someday or maybe you won't.

+1000!

I'm SO glad I worked an office job (mechanical engineer) for a few years before doing this. I liked engineering, but the whole office lifestyle was like prison for me. I would wake up every Monday just wishing it was Friday afternoon already, which is just an awful way to live. I've been flying professionally for about six years now, and love it.

The unhappiest people I've flown with are the ones that have pretty much only worked as professional pilots. A lot of them also have a VERY poor understanding of life outside aviation, thinking everybody makes $100k+, 9-5 weekdays, long lunches, etc. Yeah right!

I'll take my 19 days off this month, thank you very much! :)

It's infinitely refreshing to see viewpoints like the above two. You hear so much negativity from pilots nowadays that not even a janitor might step into the cockpit if he were made captain over night. I guess the old saying is true: the grass is greener on the other side...UNTIL you take a step and find that there is nothing else besides dog poo on the other side.

I recently left a flying job to work for a corporate jet OEM. Best decision I've made in my career. Still get my aviation "fix" by working with cutting edge technology and and some amazing airplanes, but my job is secure, I make lots more, enjoy the different challenges each unique customer brings,and can actually get involved in things on the personal front since my schedule is much more predictable. Kind of the reverse of what others have said--I'm glad I flew first, makes my current job a little more rewarding

Shrug - Dishwasher, busboy, Waiter, Lawn Service, Life Guard, Pool Manager, Water Safety Instructor, Serial Collegiate plasma seller, Specimen Courier, Firework business owner, Flight Instructor, 135 Charter Captain, 135 Freight Captain & "Hog Barn Technician".
and 135 Freight was the worst job I ever had.

I'm also extremely interested in this line of work...the question is, where do I even begin haha. I see you need to take a physical, written, and video test for almost all the entry level positions, is there a site that has information on how to study for this?
Most of it is common sense and high school grammar skills. You start by applying when there is a vacancy. I applied to the Alaska troopers and was accepted, but turned them down to fly (I'm still kicking my ass for that decision). Most recently I'm waiting to hear from the CO state troopers. If you don't apply and network you won't get anywhere. It is nearly identical to aviation.

Back