Planes crash...(Butte, MT PC-12)

Just a thought...

Usually a PC-12 has six in the back and two up front. I have seen some configs with eight in the back (plus two up front).

Yeah, that is all that I have ever seen and until yesterday I thought they all had 6 in the aft and 2 up front. Apparently, they are certified for up to 9 in the back though and it is sold as a commuter/airline style setup. I can guess how the one that crashed was configured.

Just wondering here, but if the plane had room for 2 crew up front and up to 9 seats for pax in the back, in theory you could have had a maximum of 20 souls on board right?

2 crew + 9 adults + 9 lap children.

What is the exact definition of a lap child? I always thought it was any kid 2 and under?

What are the rules for number of souls on board the aircraft? Can every seat legally have an adult and a lap child?

You've got it right. Under 2, children may be held. From what I've read, only 1 child was under 2, so regardless of the cause of the crash, FARs were broken.

Just a thought...

Usually a PC-12 has six in the back and two up front. I have seen some configs with eight in the back (plus two up front).

Just pulled this from an AP article....

....Investigators confirmed seven adults and seven children were on the plane and that the plane was configured for nine passengers and two pilots.

To have that many supposed "lap children"....doesn't seem safe regardless of the Total weight.

Re: Planes crash...

Sadly many more are waiting to happen. Just a couple years ago the industry seeded itself with very low experience levels in positions that usually demanded higher levels of experience. Many/most of these low time guys/gals will make it and within a few years they will have filled in their lack of experience with a whole lot of OJT...... If you were one of them, learn all you can. Pick brains. Be a sponge. Stay in the books and be a "Go-To-Guy/Gal" A small percentage, point, zero, zero, something are ticking time bombs waiting to go off. Just a matter of time. When it happens, CNN Headline News......; A picture of Homer as the Captain....; and "Do'h" as the final sound recorded on the CVR before "End of recording"

While you are "sowing your wild oats" do not try this in your CRJ: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SzI5EJ8C6c&feature=channel_page

The next seeding has begun. It's called MPL. The MPL effect will be significantly worse and is going to create great discomfort for the insurance underwriters. They are going to get fatigued writing large checks with lots of zeros.

Here is where the plot thickens as the perfect storm begins to brew; Just as the "Low time" guys /gals are upgrading they will find themselves paired with a newly minted, bright eyed MPL FO.

Where does it all end? Usually at the graveyard. Looks like the Pilatus just went straight there.:(

I guess it's not O.K. to be a low time pilot anymore. Just remember you were a lowtime pilot once too.

To have that many supposed "lap children"....doesn't seem safe regardless of the Total weight.

Aviation isn't about safety, it's about money. If the FAA can convince themselves that 1 lap child is OK, then why not a whole 747 full of them?

I guess it's not O.K. to be a low time pilot anymore. Just remember you were a lowtime pilot once too.

It wasn't a slam. Just pointing out the world has drastically changed on how much experience you need before flying a boatload of people...... and that level is going to go down further....... a big advantage for the low time pilot. Once MPL bugs are worked out overseas I expect it to come online very quickly in the US of A. Perhaps right around the time the senior pilots start hitting 65 and the retirements resume.

Two data points:

In 1992 I was hired to fly as a FO part 135 with a TT of 3,400. I was the "low time" guy in the new hire class.

In 1997 I was hired to fly as a FO part 121 with a TT of 5,700. One guy had a few less hours. All the others in the class had more.

I look back at what was going on 2 years ago can't help but wonder how they thought it was ok to put guys in the right seat of a Jet, fly passengers in part 121 service, with less than 500 TT. I do not think that was very cool for the training department, the line Capt, the pilot, his family, the passengers, or the industry.

Low time doesn't always mean retarded.

I taught some brilliant 300 hours CFIs and some complete duds.

Certainly, a person's intellect plays a role in their ability to be a logical, competent pilot.

It wasn't a slam. Just pointing out the world has drastically changed on how much experience you need before flying a boatload of people...... and that level is going to go down further....... a big advantage for the low time pilot. Once MPL bugs are worked out overseas I expect it to come online very quickly in the US of A. Perhaps right around the time the senior pilots start hitting 65 and the retirements resume.

Two data points:

In 1992 I was hired to fly as a FO part 135 with a TT of 3,400. I was the "low time" guy in the new hire class.

In 1997 I was hired to fly as a FO part 121 with a TT of 5,700. One guy had a few less hours. All the others in the class had more.

I look back at what was going on 2 years ago can't help but wonder how they thought it was ok to put guys in the right seat of a Jet, fly passengers in part 121 service, with less than 500 TT. I do not think that was very cool for the training department, the line Capt, the pilot, his family, the passengers, or the industry.

Very valid point, and tactfull reply. Respect re-gained. But a major reason why you had so many hours was because the competition was fierce. The military was still turning out a fair share of pilots, even that recent. There were many more high time pilots back then.

Low time doesn't always mean retarded.

I taught some brilliant 300 hours CFIs and some complete duds.

Certainly, a person's intellect plays a role in their ability to be a logical, competent pilot.

Again, valid point. To bad there is no way to gauge the "dudness" of people. I worked with CFI's whom I consider complete duds.

Aviation isn't about safety, it's about money. If the FAA can convince themselves that 1 lap child is OK, then why not a whole 747 full of them?

Agreed. I am not questioning the FAA on this although I don't fully agree. I am questioning the adults that would do that.

Wow...I just found out a couple hours ago that the people in this crash were close family members of my brother's girlfriend. They weren't immediate family, but lots of her cousins/aunts/uncles.

I'm sure I'll hear more in the coming days of what lead up to this and why so many people were onboard.

From another forum I read. The owner of the plane was driving up to meet them. They were headed to Yellowstone Ski Resort. These are all the souls who were lost. Two of them were his daughters and a bunch of grandchildren.

(Family members said the victims were Erin and Amy Jacobson of St. Helena, Calif., and their children, 4-year-old Taylor; 3-year-old Ava, and 1-year-old Jude; Michael and Vanessa Pullen of Lodi, Calif., and their children, 9-year-old Sydney and 7-year-old Christopher; Brent and Kristen Ching of Durham, Calif., and their children, 5-year-old Heyley and 4-year-old Caleb; and the pilot, Buddy Summerfield.)

From another forum I read. The owner of the plane was driving up to meet them. They were headed to Yellowstone Ski Resort. These are all the souls who were lost. Two of them were his daughters and a bunch of grandchildren.

(Family members said the victims were Erin and Amy Jacobson of St. Helena, Calif., and their children, 4-year-old Taylor; 3-year-old Ava, and 1-year-old Jude; Michael and Vanessa Pullen of Lodi, Calif., and their children, 9-year-old Sydney and 7-year-old Christopher; Brent and Kristen Ching of Durham, Calif., and their children, 5-year-old Heyley and 4-year-old Caleb; and the pilot, Buddy Summerfield.)

OMG! How incredibly sad. Entire families? Terrible news. RIP :(

Just wondering here, but if the plane had room for 2 crew up front and up to 9 seats for pax in the back, in theory you could have had a maximum of 20 souls on board right?

2 crew + 9 adults + 9 lap children.

What is the exact definition of a lap child? I always thought it was any kid 2 and under?

What are the rules for number of souls on board the aircraft? Can every seat legally have an adult and a lap child?

Not sure how supplemental O2 works on the PC-12, but you would have to be able to supply O2 to each pax in the event of de-pressurization. I doubt that there are 20 masks.

Not sure how supplemental O2 works on the PC-12, but you would have to be able to supply O2 to each pax in the event of de-pressurization. I doubt that there are 20 masks.

Only if they were above FL250.

Clearly FARs were violated with too many people on board. But not necessarily causal.

Clearly FARs were violated with too many people on board. But not necessarily causal.

Exactly. It's not so much that violating FARs is excusable (the rules exist for a reason, thank you Fundamentals of Instructing), but that the attitude of "if you break an FAR your plane immediately explodes" prevents actually exploring the real reason for accidents. No one is suggesting that breaking the rules is right, or smart, or even "necessary at times", but the notion that an accident's cause can be simply attributed to a "non-compliance attitude" based on something most likely totally unrelated to the crash prevents us from intelligently discussing what might have actually gone wrong. I adhere to the strict letter of the law, both because I have a little humility about my knowledge, and because I like continued employment. But I don't imagine that once someone takes off a pound overgross or goes a knot over Vne, their accident report should simply read "Broke teh rulez!"

Back