Pilot Uniforms and Public Perception

Status
Not open for further replies.
And, she doesn't need heels to make her legs look good.

On the hat issue, I always wear mine because:
1) it's company policy
2) it makes me look more professional
3) it makes me look TALLER (and at 5'1" I can use all the help I can get)
4) male non-pilots think it looks HOT!

Well.... some of them do!

hahahaha!~!!

Do you wear the same one as the men or that bucket hat?

The hats at Pinnacle, I think, make you look worse. They're amateur looking. Some of the guys buy the Delta hats (which are MUCH better). Unfortunately, most of them will not hesitate to tell you "Yeah, it's a DELTA hat. Did I mention I'm wearing a DELTA hat?" I've still got an FO hat, but I haven't even bought the hideous CA's hat yet. It's $50 some odd dollars I can spend on something else, like money in the 401K or the electricity bill. If Delta starts requiring it of their regional partners, I'll wear it. Until then, it's gonna stay at the M&H Uniform company.

If we have to start wearing hats (which I dont) I hear the bancroft hats are the way to go. So Kell, if the time ever comes, dont go with M&H, get the bancroft.

If you were a Marine then i'd think you'd know that the Navy does NOT salute without a hat. That's the Air Force...
And i also oppose wearing a hat indoors due to my Navy culture. Although my airline doesn't wear hats so i don't have to deal with it.

AF? I am unaware of any instance, where one would be without a hat and still have to salute.....

Well, now I'm a bit more confused. If THAT's the uniform, what are the "old bags" supposed to wear? Or should they retire because they're not easy on the eyes according to you? I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just trying to understand your point.
I know you guys all want hot, "easy" FAs, but remember why they're employed by your airline, please. Thanks! :)
Delta has various choices when it comes to uniforms for FA's. There is the black dress, shorts, black skirt with white top, black pants with white top, a sweater, the infamous red dress...the list goes on. The red dress is tight fitting and looks great on a younger, shapely FA. With so many options to chose from, I think that some FA's should buy a mirror and evaluate their appearance and pick the uniform that best fits them.
Since you brought it up, why are the FA's in the plane? For passenger safety! Sure, they give out drinks and cookies, and get you a blanket if your cold, but they are there for much more than that. They are the ones responsible for emergency medical care of pax and to evacuate the aircraft in a safe and quick manner. My point on this issue is...if you can't get down the isle without turning sideways to do so, then are you really in shape for when passengers lives are at stake?
You always hear us pilots complaining about low pay, when you think of the huge responsibility of a FA, you realize that they deserve so much more compensation and respect than they get.

If you were a Marine then i'd think you'd know that the Navy does NOT salute without a hat. That's the Air Force...
And i also oppose wearing a hat indoors due to my Navy culture. Although my airline doesn't wear hats so i don't have to deal with it.
I was once walking down the street on base in Pensacola and approached the admiral that ran the base. As I saluted him with my best USMC salute, he raised his hand in a salute, except that when it reached his hat, it turned into a wave (HA!) I thought it was very funny, but at the same time unprofessional. I guess it does get tiresome saluting everyone as you walk down the street, since you are THE senior guy on the base.

If it's required at Comair, it's a good bet that it will be at Mesaba/Compass, then. No biggie.

Honestly, the M&H hats look like someone ordered a hat from Sporty's for a halloween costume. Either that or the neighborhood kid needed a new skateboard ramp.

Brian, thanks for the tip on the hats. If there's a better looking hat, I'm all for it.

If we're required to wear the hat, I'm fine with it. However, you can still NOT wear the hat and not look like a slob. I just get tired of people saying you don't look professional if you're not wearing a hat. It's total BS.

If it's required at Comair, it's a good bet that it will be at Mesaba/Compass, then. No biggie.

Honestly, the M&H hats look like someone ordered a hat from Sporty's for a halloween costume. Either that or the neighborhood kid needed a new skateboard ramp.

Brian, thanks for the tip on the hats. If there's a better looking hat, I'm all for it.

If we're required to wear the hat, I'm fine with it. However, you can still NOT wear the hat and not look like a slob. I just get tired of people saying you don't look professional if you're not wearing a hat. It's total BS.
My hat (Comair) is from Superior Cap Company. Last time I looked they were around $65 for an FO hat. Now, you can pick one up for $20 or so from a furloughed FO. There is a huge amount of uniform items for sale in the crew room at JFK. $400 leather jacket - $150, Uniform Blazer - $30, Hat - $20, leather flight kit - $25, the list goes on....sad
Back in June, Crew Outfitters (our uniform supplier) forbid Comair pilots from using the payroll deduction option, and only take cash or credit card. I needed a new rollaboard, so my girlfriend had to put it on her account (FA's can continue payroll deductions). Other than that, I try not to buy anything from them unless I absolutely have to.

Delta has various choices when it comes to uniforms for FA's. There is the black dress, shorts, black skirt with white top, black pants with white top, a sweater, the infamous red dress...the list goes on. The red dress is tight fitting and looks great on a younger, shapely FA. With so many options to chose from, I think that some FA's should buy a mirror and evaluate their appearance and pick the uniform that best fits them.
Since you brought it up, why are the FA's in the plane? For passenger safety! Sure, they give out drinks and cookies, and get you a blanket if your cold, but they are there for much more than that. They are the ones responsible for emergency medical care of pax and to evacuate the aircraft in a safe and quick manner. My point on this issue is...if you can't get down the isle without turning sideways to do so, then are you really in shape for when passengers lives are at stake?
You always hear us pilots complaining about low pay, when you think of the huge responsibility of a FA, you realize that they deserve so much more compensation and respect than they get.

Thanks for the clarification!:)

Rather than starting a new thread I have a quick question about uniforms.... I am using a non-rev pass for a flight in a few days. Could I wear my uniform through security, then change in the bathroom before my flight?

You sir are mistaken, we (AF) do not salute indoors or without a hat. The only instance where I have ever seen someone salute indoors without a hat is when reporting to a new station, which has never happened to me except for while learning proper customs and courtesies at AMS (big boy OTS brevity course for the Guard)

I personally think this whole saluting without a hat thing is s myth that has been propagated by piss poor consulting for Hollywood movies.

Typical stuff where they always get it wrong.

And in response to the whole No Hat who knows what other SOP's hes shirking comment. I think thats total BS. I don't think the hat decision is reflective of someones piloting abilities and or adherence to flight standards as well as personal grooming standards.

Maybe I'm a consipracy theorist, but I think the VA uniforms are part of Richard Branson's plan of making pilots more like bus drivers so then he can pay them more like bus drivers. :( I believe that I have heard him say that he thinks that pilots make too much money.

I don't like the hats but I do know they affect perception greatly. If I want to make $375,000 / year I understand that I should probably look like more than $5.00.

A few Branson quotes:

And you know, I've had great fun turning quite a lot of different industries on their head and making sure those industries will never be the same again, because Virgin went in and took them on.
Richard Branson

I believe in benevolent dictatorship provided I am the dictator.
Richard Branson

You sir are mistaken, we (AF) do not salute indoors or without a hat. The only instance where I have ever seen someone salute indoors without a hat is when reporting to a new station, which has never happened to me except for while learning proper customs and courtesies at AMS (big boy OTS brevity course for the Guard)

Ahh ok sorry. But i do remember the AF ROTC guys saluting without a cover and always wondered WTF? They even did it when they were in civie clothes.

Had a couple army ROTC guys that explained to me like this: you salute the brim of the hat when it is on and you salute just to the right of the eyebrow when the hat is off.

Of course, these were first year ROTC guys, no idea if they were right/wrong or pulling my leg.

Rather than starting a new thread I have a quick question about uniforms.... I am using a non-rev pass for a flight in a few days. Could I wear my uniform through security, then change in the bathroom before my flight?

You can do anything you want. That manuever is called the 'superman' and is an easy way to get through security w/ all your stuff any bypassing the ridiculous 3oz rule. However, I'm certain the TSA frowns on this......although, many people I know do it anyway. ;) YMMV

Maybe I'm a consipracy theorist, but I think the VA uniforms are part of Richard Branson's plan of making pilots more like bus drivers so then he can pay them more like bus drivers. :( I believe that I have heard him say that he thinks that pilots make too much money.

You may be on to something here.

I don't like the hats but I do know they affect perception greatly. If I want to make $375,000 / year I understand that I should probably look like more than $5.00.

Remember...If you want to get paid like a professional, dress like a professional.

How else are you supposed to get through security with all your liquids, yet still drink in first class?

A few Branson quotes:

And you know, I've had great fun turning quite a lot of different industries on their head and making sure those industries will never be the same again, because Virgin went in and took them on.
Richard Branson

I believe in benevolent dictatorship provided I am the dictator.
Richard Branson

Bus drivers make more than some of us

I personally think this whole saluting without a hat thing is s myth that has been propagated by piss poor consulting for Hollywood movies.

Typical stuff where they always get it wrong.

And in response to the whole No Hat who knows what other SOP's hes shirking comment. I think thats total BS. I don't think the hat decision is reflective of someones piloting abilities and or adherence to flight standards as well as personal grooming standards.
I have seen the "hatless salute" on Navy bases and AF bases. I have also seen the very odd salute in civies.

Legally, no. Practically, well I ain't saying!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back