Pilot Uniforms and Public Perception

Status
Not open for further replies.
i thought the same thing. those look tacky!

Oh dear GOD! Those are waaaay past tacky...they're hideous. I'm confused though. I thought Virgin wore those horrific red uniforms that make you look like a tomato. :confused: Did they go from one baaad uniform to another?
Not to stir up a hornet's nest or anything, but while we're on the subject, I'm not a big fan of SWA's uniforms either. Waaaay too casual. I know, I know...it's the market they appeal to and part of their culture, BUT....I wouldn't be caught dead in that get-up It screams, "summer camp counselor." Nothing flattering about those man-ish looking pants the women wear.

All of the above being said, I don't understand why companies like UPS and FedEx make their pilots wear the same kind of uniforms. No passengers to put a show on for; More to the point, the type of work they do seems to dicate a more durable and functional set of work clothes (Leather jackets vs. blazers, and jeans/slacks vs. dress pants).

Oh dear GOD! Those are waaaay past tacky...they're hideous. I'm confused though. I thought Virgin wore those horrific red uniforms that make you look like a tomato. :confused: Did they go from one baaad uniform to another?
Not to stir up a hornet's nest or anything, but while we're on the subject, I'm not a big fan of SWA's uniforms either. Waaaay too casual. I know, I know...it's the market they appeal to and part of their culture, BUT....I wouldn't be caught dead in that get-up It screams, "summer camp counselor." Nothing flattering about those man-ish looking pants the women wear.

:yeahthat: SWA has plenty of young, cute FAs, but they're ruined by those horrible uniforms. Khakis and a polo? On a woman? That just ain't right.

All of the above being said, I don't understand why companies like UPS and FedEx make their pilots wear the same kind of uniforms. No passengers to put a show on for; More to the point, the type of work they do seems to dicate a more durable and functional set of work clothes (Leather jackets vs. blazers, and jeans/slacks vs. dress pants).

Studies have shown that the way employees dress affects their productivity and work ethic. Tech companies that went to an all-casual dress code saw their productivity drop significantly. That's why a lot of companies have gone to a more formal dress code. When people are dressed casually, they are more apt to perform casually.

Anyone have a link to a picture of VA's pilot uniforms. Even those of us wearing blue shirts with our uniforms think that "casual" ain't cutting it.

While I've never been a fan of the "blue shirt brigade", the B6 uniform is WAY more professional looking than VA. Its just too bad the TSA grabbed the blue shirt look, too.

Maybe I'm just an aviation nerd or old fashioned, but to me, sharp crewmembers' uniforms are (both Air and Ground) a symbol of competence, professionalism, and authority in the finest nautical and aeronautical traditions. A tradition that spans literally hundreds of years that says "I take responsibility for the safe passage of these souls to their port of destination and the safe transport of his cargo to the fullest extent of my professional abilities."

:yeahthat: Doesn't matter what you call it, but those are very valid points! Well said, Scram, well said! :rawk:

I'll second both these opinions. BTW, Qgar let me ask you this...

As an F/A what is your first reaction when you meet your pilots if they look like an unmade bed? Does it generate confidence in their ability to command? Or does it make you wonder if they're cockpit professionalism is as lax as their personal appearance?

OOH, good question, V! I was going to say that I "wonder" about their professionalism. BUT, in thinking a little deeper, that's my knee-jerk reaction. When I start talking to them and working with them, I sometimes find they are just as competent and professional as the "starched" pilots. Sometimes they just don't have the motivation (for lack of a better term) or maybe a "woman's touch" to get them to take more pride in their appearance. There's sometimes more at work than them "just not caring." I know that wasn't the answer you were looking for, but......;)

That being said, my eyes ALWAYS hone in on the very well dressed/groomed ones. And, no, I don't mean the metrosexual look. I mean the ones with a decent haircut, no facial hair/stubble, clean, WHITE shirts (not yellowed from lack of proper care), no rumpled-looking uniforms, clean, decent shoes. Nice-smelling cologne never hurts either!
In the infamous words of ZZ TOP----"every girl's crazy 'bout a sharped-dressed man." :D

OOH, good question, V! I was going to say that I "wonder" about their professionalism. BUT, in thinking a little deeper, that's my knee-jerk reaction.

Exactly my point. And you're a pro. What do you think the average passenger thinks? They don't know the subtleties of the job like you do. They just know the Captain looks like a slob and the F/O looks like a teeny-bopper with his iPod hanging from his ear.

The passenger's knee-jerk reaction is about as far as they get.

Nice-smelling cologne never hurts either!

Actually, that is one of the WORST things a pilot can wear. Want you want is absolutely no smell at all. Think about how big a cockpit is and do you really want to smell the guy next to you all freakin day.

One time I had to council a new FO on his overuse of cologne. My eyes were watering and I was sneezing constantly. I came real close to kicking him off of the trip unless he took a shower.

Breath mints and gum are highly recommended though. Also, if a burrito war is started in the cockpit without fair warning to don the O2 mask you better be prepared for full on retribution :p.

Actually, that is one of the WORST things a pilot can wear. Want you want is absolutely no smell at all. Think about how big a cockpit is and do you really want to smell the guy next to you all freakin day.

One time I had to council a new FO on his overuse of cologne. My eyes were watering and I was sneezing constantly. I came real close to kicking him off of the trip unless he took a shower.

Breath mints and gum are highly recommended though. Also, if a burrito war is started in the cockpit without fair warning to don the O2 mask you better be prepared for full on retribution :p.

Oops, sorry! :eek: I guess I forgot you guys are cooped up together for long stretches. I was speaking from my point of view...that it's nice to get a whiff of something pleasant when he walks on the plane. ;)
Forgive me? :)

I think presentation of one's self is so important when dealing directly with customers, and that goes for pilots and non-pilots. Combed hair, shaved face, etc is important. But I really notice clothes that don't fit properly. I saw a pilot at PHX when I was on my way to NJC with a collar that looked like it was choking him. He left his belt loose enough so his pant waist would fit around his gut but this caused them to sag in the back and show his shirt tails.

Thanks for bringing that up, Matt--I forgot to. A proper fitting uniform is EVERY bit as important as to how clean/neat it looks. Good catch! :)

:yeahthat: SWA has plenty of young, cute FAs, but they're ruined by those horrible uniforms. Khakis and a polo? On a woman? That just ain't right.

Studies have shown that the way employees dress affects their productivity and work ethic. Tech companies that went to an all-casual dress code saw their productivity drop significantly. That's why a lot of companies have gone to a more formal dress code. When people are dressed casually, they are more apt to perform casually.

What are you, Todd, a male chauvanist? You expect women to be uncomfortable while working? :D Again, part of a FAs job (and of course, a pilot's) is customer service. Whether you like it or not, or believe it or not, pax are ALWAYS looking at us and judging us. Doesn't matter whether we think it's right or fair or not. Human nature at work, I guess.
Thanks for sharing the results of that study. It's funny, but that's one of the main reasons I won't wear the uniform pants. I know I wouldn't feel I look as good in them as in the dress/suit and that may translate into me not being on my "A" game. Whether or not I'd do as good a job in them as in the dress/suit is anybody's guess. All I know is that if I feel good about myself, I'm much more likely to present myself in a better and more confident light. :)

I think it is different for flight attendants. Pilots can get relatively comfortable in the cockpit, especially once they are seated and the door is closed. Ties can be loosened, jackets and hats removed. They have plenty of time to readjust before becoming visible again.

Contrast that with FA's who are on their feet and moving anywhere from 1 to several hours at a time; pushing carts around, toting and carrying trays and baggage and such. They need to be comfortable so they can best do their job

ALWAYS wear flats on the plane for beverage service. THAT'S a given for comfort AND for safety. Yes, the pilots can make themselves more comfortable for flight and readjust for deplaning, but we are always ON.

I know I wouldn't feel I look as good in them as in the dress/suit and that may translate into me not being on my "A" game. Whether or not I'd do as good a job in them as in the dress/suit is anybody's guess. All I know is that if I feel good about myself, I'm much more likely to present myself in a better and more confident light. :)

Come on, Q. We all know you just like showing off those fabulous legs! :nana2:

You know, once the standards start lowering it is hard to bring them back. I figure it is only a matter of time until this is the standard pilot uniform. If this is true, will definitely have to start stuffing my pants to look more impressive.

headshot-web.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back