Pilot Uniforms and Public Perception

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was not required under NW.
Will be soon though I'm sure.

Maybe, maybe not. Not sure if it's required at Comair, and I'm 90% sure it's not at ASA. No reason to expect that things will change just b/c Delta now owns Mesaba.

The hats at Pinnacle, I think, make you look worse. They're amateur looking. Some of the guys buy the Delta hats (which are MUCH better). Unfortunately, most of them will not hesitate to tell you "Yeah, it's a DELTA hat. Did I mention I'm wearing a DELTA hat?" I've still got an FO hat, but I haven't even bought the hideous CA's hat yet. It's $50 some odd dollars I can spend on something else, like money in the 401K or the electricity bill. If Delta starts requiring it of their regional partners, I'll wear it. Until then, it's gonna stay at the M&H Uniform company.

Maybe, maybe not. Not sure if it's required at Comair, and I'm 90% sure it's not at ASA. No reason to expect that things will change just b/c Delta now owns Mesaba.

The hats at Pinnacle, I think, make you look worse. They're amateur looking. Some of the guys buy the Delta hats (which are MUCH better). Unfortunately, most of them will not hesitate to tell you "Yeah, it's a DELTA hat. Did I mention I'm wearing a DELTA hat?" I've still got an FO hat, but I haven't even bought the hideous CA's hat yet. It's $50 some odd dollars I can spend on something else, like money in the 401K or the electricity bill. If Delta starts requiring it of their regional partners, I'll wear it. Until then, it's gonna stay at the M&H Uniform company.
It is required at Comair, and you will be written up if a chief pilot sees you without it.
What I can't understand is: There is a push to make the passenger's transition from the regional to mainline a "seamless transition". The interior of our aircraft are being changed to look similar to Delta mainline. Our uniform is the same as mainline (except the wings and hat emblem, which are similar). Our galley has been changed and the FA's service has been changed to meet the mainline service (front to rear, which does not work well in a CRJ by the way). Why is it then that ASA, SkyWest, Freedom, and Chitaqua all have different uniforms and different procedures from mainline and from eachother. There is no "seamless transition" on those regionals.

It is required at Comair, and you will be written up if a chief pilot sees you without it.
What I can't understand is: There is a push to make the passenger's transition from the regional to mainline a "seamless transition". The interior of our aircraft are being changed to look similar to Delta mainline. Our uniform is the same as mainline (except the wings and hat emblem, which are similar). Our galley has been changed and the FA's service has been changed to meet the mainline service (front to rear, which does not work well in a CRJ by the way). Why is it then that ASA, SkyWest, Freedom, and Chitaqua all have different uniforms and different procedures from mainline and from eachother. There is no "seamless transition" on those regionals.

Good point. I really don't think passengers give two sharts if you start the service in the back or the front or if your epaulettes are Silver or Gold. The biggest differentiator to passengers is the gates. You know your getting on a small crap plane when they send you down stairs and outside into the snow to walk across the ramp to get on your plane. All Jet Ways would make passengers much happier.

We get ours from M&H as well and they are amateur looking. Almost like a cheap costume hat. I still wear it since it's required but I am ready for a different brand of hat.

Studies have shown that the way employees dress affects their productivity and work ethic. Tech companies that went to an all-casual dress code saw their productivity drop significantly. That's why a lot of companies have gone to a more formal dress code. When people are dressed casually, they are more apt to perform casually.

Exactly what I was going to say. Very true. In the later 90's, when companies began loosening dress codes (starting with "Casual Friday"), management gained cool points for this. It's been proven over time that productivity fell significantly. In the companies I've worked for, Fridays are a productivity joke, unless it's something that is time-sensitive and can't wait until Monday.

Oh dear GOD! Those are waaaay past tacky...they're hideous. I'm confused though. I thought Virgin wore those horrific red uniforms that make you look like a tomato. :confused: Did they go from one baaad uniform to another?
Not to stir up a hornet's nest or anything, but while we're on the subject, I'm not a big fan of SWA's uniforms either. Waaaay too casual. I know, I know...it's the market they appeal to and part of their culture, BUT....I wouldn't be caught dead in that get-up It screams, "summer camp counselor." Nothing flattering about those man-ish looking pants the women wear.

What I hate the most is the ugly Cintas khaki shorts with the waist line rising 8 inches above the waist.

They look like they're wearing MOM JEANS!!!

OK, I was wrong for using age, so I'll put this in a Jeff Foxworthy sort of term "If you have a full head of gray hair, and your face looks like saddle leather, you should not wear the red dress!" And I stand by the varicose veins statement.

Well, now I'm a bit more confused. If THAT's the uniform, what are the "old bags" supposed to wear? Or should they retire because they're not easy on the eyes according to you? I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just trying to understand your point.
I know you guys all want hot, "easy" FAs, but remember why they're employed by your airline, please. Thanks! :)

Qgar, what he's trying to say is he thinks you "over the hill" gang need to get out and let the youngsters who want to bag pilots take over.

Qgar, what he's trying to say is he thinks you "over the hill" gang need to get out and let the youngsters who want to bag pilots take over.

Good point---but who told you that the "over the hill" gang doesn't want to bag pilots, too? :p :D

Ha, the 'red dress'. A FA either looks absolutely stunning, or ridiculously appalling in it. There is NO middle ground. It is not flattering one bit on people well over 50 or larger than a size 12.

There are other uniform options that look better on certain people than others. Part of professionalism is knowing what looks best on you, not wearing the 'red dress' just to wear the 'red dress'.

When I was an airline pilot I wore the uniform with pride. Didn't matter whether I was flying the Jetstream, the CRJ, or the Boeing. I shined my shoes, wore the blazer when appropriate, and yes -- I wore the hat in accordance with the company FOM.

Now, when I travel as a passenger, it sticks out to me like a sore thumb when an airline crew are dressed like slobs. If they don't wear their hat I wonder, "What other parts of his SOP is he ignoring?" If his shoes are scuffed or if he's wearing black sneakers I think, "I sure hope he takes more pride in his performance than he does in his appearance". If he's wearing an IPOD or backpack I think, "geez, when did they start recruiting from junior high?". If he has frosted hair I think, "Gosh I wish I still had hair..." But I digress.

That being said...

For the last four years of my life i've been on the corporate side of the fence where we wear a nice button-down shirt, black pants. No stripes... no hat... no ties. I LOVE it. So much more comfortable.

(But I still shine my shoes before I go to work!)

I need to go hunt Cougars next time I'm in EWR....and that'll be in 12-30hrs from now depending on my luck. ;-)

As a Marine (once a Marine, always a Marine) I think it quite odd that we wear hats indoors. Then again, I could never understand the Navy guys saluting without a hat.

If you were a Marine then i'd think you'd know that the Navy does NOT salute without a hat. That's the Air Force...
And i also oppose wearing a hat indoors due to my Navy culture. Although my airline doesn't wear hats so i don't have to deal with it.

If they don't wear their hat I wonder, "What other parts of his SOP is he ignoring?"

Zap that's a very interesting point, infact... we just had a handful of line checks by the feds and one of the comments that came out was exactly this.

Now, when I travel as a passenger, it sticks out to me like a sore thumb when an airline crew are dressed like slobs. If they don't wear their hat I wonder, "What other parts of his SOP is he ignoring?"

Exactly my point, Zap. If you want to get paid like a professional, look and act like a professional.

I need to go hunt Cougars next time I'm in EWR...

Sonny, you'd be like my dog chasing cars. You wouldn't know what to do with one if you somehow managed to catch one.

I think you will be the hunted rather than the hunter. :D

Doubtful. Very doubtful.

Sonny, you'd be like my dog chasing cars. You wouldn't know what to do with one if you somehow managed to catch one.

I'd let them show me ;-)

Plus...I don't have a head full of grey like their ex's, but just enough grey not to remind them of their sons hahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back