Pilot Uniforms and Public Perception

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to wear my hat all the time now. I figured we are now owned by delta, we may as well get used to it now. The jeans during non-rev policy makes up for it though, besides my hair is pretty thin and its getting cold in memphis.

Was not required under NW.
Will be soon though I'm sure.

It doesn't matter if it was required. You are a professional, and you shouldn't need some manager telling you to dress like a professional to actually do it. The hat was optional at Pinnacle, but I wore it because it's part of a professional pilot's uniform.

It doesn't matter if it was required. You are a professional, and you shouldn't need some manager telling you to dress like a professional to actually do it. The hat was optional at Pinnacle, but I wore it because it's part of a professional pilot's uniform.
/enter tradegui
*gives you high horse*
/complete
/exit tradegui

I always wear my Hat. Had a "southern" Captain tell me that it "Screws up kids real good if they see a pilot not wearing a hat. Messes with their head." Don't really know what he meant by it but thought it was funny.

What do you think of the ALPA mustache?

ALWAYS wear flats on the plane for beverage service. THAT'S a given for comfort AND for safety. Yes, the pilots can make themselves more comfortable for flight and readjust for deplaning, but we are always ON.
Flats are THE uniform shoe for our FA's. Get an ATS (FA checkairman) on your flight and be wearing anything other than flats, and your written up.
One thing, not to sound like a male chauvinist or anything, but the red dress (Delta/Comair) should only be sold in size 8 or less, and only those under 50 should be allowed to wear it! I see way too many grandmothers in Term 3 at JFK strutting around in their red dress :) and if you have huge varicose veins you should not be wearing a dress at all. One more thing, if I may suggest? If you can't get down the isle of a plane without turning sideways to clear the seats, I believe this to be a safety issue should an emergency arise. Seriously!
Another item that comes to mind when looking professional is aircraft appearance. I have actually had pax ask me if the plane was safe, because all the rivets were showing and there was so much missing paint.
And cleaning the planes? I don't think Comair has washed a plane in years.

Flats are THE uniform shoe for our FA's. Get an ATS (FA checkairman) on your flight and be wearing anything other than flats, and your written up.
One thing, not to sound like a male chauvinist or anything, but the red dress (Delta/Comair) should only be sold in size 8 or less, and only those under 50 should be allowed to wear it! I see way too many grandmothers in Term 3 at JFK strutting around in their red dress :) and if you have huge varicose veins you should not be wearing a dress at all. One more thing, if I may suggest? If you can't get down the isle of a plane without turning sideways to clear the seats, I believe this to be a safety issue should an emergency arise. Seriously!
Another item that comes to mind when looking professional is aircraft appearance. I have actually had pax ask me if the plane was safe, because all the rivets were showing and there was so much missing paint.

I dunno if its just me but all the DAL FA's on my flights have been quite decent looking.

And, she doesn't need heels to make her legs look good.

On the hat issue, I always wear mine because:
1) it's company policy
2) it makes me look more professional
3) it makes me look TALLER (and at 5'1" I can use all the help I can get)
4) male non-pilots think it looks HOT!

Well.... some of them do!

hahahaha!~!!

Well, different airlines have different uniform regs, I guess. As V said, I'm an ATS (CF) and at Colgan, if you're NOT wearing heels (with the dress/skirt), you will be corrected. The heels also have to fall within a certain size range. (CFM heels are always a no-no). It's the FAs choice to wear either heels or flats while on the plane.

I'm also not too fond of your statement about FAs over 50 not wearing the red uniform. Don't you think that generalization is a bit of a stretch? I'll be 51 on Tuesday and can tell you age has NOTHING to do with how good/bad a FA looks in uniform. :rolleyes:

I'm also not too fond of your statement about FAs over 50 not wearing the red uniform. Don't you think that generalization is a bit of a stretch? I'll be 51 on Tuesday and can tell you age has NOTHING to do with how good/bad a FA looks in uniform. :rolleyes:
:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

Hmm, not so much of a hat guy here. I think its my military habit, but I've always felt its rude to wear a hat indoors. Just a southern manners/ military thing that has stuck with me. Qgar, your the exception to the rule!

Hmm, not so much of a hat guy here. I think its my military habit, but I've always felt its rude to wear a hat indoors. Just a southern manners thing that has stuck with me.
:yeahthat:
I think it is hilarious we wear hats indoors. I like taking the hat this time of year to wear it outdoors because it's COLD!

:yeahthat:
I think it is hilarious we wear hats indoors. I like taking the hat this time of year to wear it outdoors because it's COLD!
As a Marine (once a Marine, always a Marine) I think it quite odd that we wear hats indoors. Then again, I could never understand the Navy guys saluting without a hat. Everyone has their weird customs. Outside I never wear a hat on the tarmac (it is a FOD hazard), but outside by the van I can see, although these Delta hats are HOT! Why the rubber/plastic inside? To trap the heat???

Well, different airlines have different uniform regs, I guess. As V said, I'm an ATS (CF) and at Colgan, if you're NOT wearing heels (with the dress/skirt), you will be corrected. The heels also have to fall within a certain size range. (CFM heels are always a no-no). It's the FAs choice to wear either heels or flats while on the plane.

OK, I was wrong for using age, so I'll put this in a Jeff Foxworthy sort of term "If you have a full head of gray hair, and your face looks like saddle leather, you should not wear the red dress!" And I stand by the varicose veins statement.

Maybe I'm just an aviation nerd or old fashioned, but to me, sharp crewmembers' uniforms are (both Air and Ground) a symbol of competence, professionalism, and authority in the finest nautical and aeronautical traditions. A tradition that spans literally hundreds of years that says "I take responsibility for the safe passage of these souls to their port of destination and the safe transport of his cargo to the fullest extent of my professional abilities."

I agree with this. If one is to come to work, come correct. Yeah I may hate the company that I work for but I am not about to come to work looking like a slob as a result. As many have said, it reflects poorly on you more than the company.

Wear the uniform properly within your company standards. If your company specifies a hat, wear the hat.

You guys really need to watch the movie 12 O'clock High. Its about a bomber squadron that can't get out of their own way. They get a new CO.

What's the first thing he does...enforce military standards and regulations TO THE LETTER. That's how you build unit pride and professionalism.

Now extend that theory to the airlines. You want a top notch operation? Get a bunch of people who adhere to the "unit" regs and operate like they're proud of their job and airline. You would be hard pressed to find a Delta pilot or F/A slouching around the concourse out of uniform. That's their airline's culture. And it says "PROFESSIONAL" to everyone they encounter.

What does your daily appearance say to passengers? Professional? Or slacker? And how does that translate to your airline? What message are your crew members sending?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back