Pilot Uniforms and Public Perception

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather than starting a new thread I have a quick question about uniforms.... I am using a non-rev pass for a flight in a few days. Could I wear my uniform through security, then change in the bathroom before my flight?

I guess you could, the question is why would you want to? You'll likely spend more time changing clothes than waiting in line, and now you're carting your uniform around. Simplify!

I always nonrev in uniform. Just simplifies things for me. And I don't have to worry about getting any of my liquids jacked.

I always nonrev in uniform. Just simplifies things for me. And I don't have to worry about getting any of my liquids jacked.

Absolutely agree! It's not like you can wear flipflops and real comfy clothes anyway, so just wear the uniform. MUCH EASIER!
Example: Friend/coworker and I were deadheading home last week after Recurrent. I wore the full uniform, she was dressed to the teeth and looked fabulous. Guess who got questioned by TSA? :rolleyes: They KNEW she wasn't working a flight, so started to give her a bit of a hard time. They backed off after talking to their supervisor, but it could have gotten "interesting." Especially considering the fact that I was traveling with her and was dressed completely in uniform. Not sure if she'll try that again. I don't think it's worth it, but to each his own. ;)
Besides, and I know this sounds corny, I'm proud to wear my uniform! :)

You may be on to something here.

Remember...If you want to get paid like a professional, dress like a professional.

Agreed on the Branson thing. I too have wondered why their pilots dress as they do, seems it has nothing to do with anything other then making them feel less important, thus slowly breaking them down when it comes to their pay, that they are not worth as much. He is just like any other manager/CEO, of course all his employees are overpaid.

I want to get paid like a professional, and I dress like one, but I still don't get paid like one. :(

1358367574_41abce14fb.jpg

Looks like they should be in Star Trek or somethin'.

Can you say "Johnny Cash?"

In also an effort to not start a new thread. . .

Any of you guys wear seasonal ties - when approved by your company?

My company authorizes "patriotic" ties (although I strongly agree with the US Flag Code and challenge many people who wear the US Flag as a tie. . .but that's neither here nor there) and have recently authorized us to wear "seasonal" ties for the upcoming holiday season.

I'm not a huge fan of big ass Santa riding my tie, or silly ass Christmas trees on my tie. Though, I am a fan of red, white, green, and any other seasonal color combination.

Trouble is, would a red, white, and green stripped prep tie provide the same "seasonal" fix as a Santa Claus or Christmas Tree?

My company authorizes "patriotic" ties (although I strongly agree with the US Flag Code and challenge many people who wear the US Flag as a tie. . .but that's neither here nor there) and have recently authorized us to wear "seasonal" ties for the upcoming holiday season.

I'm not a huge fan of big ass Santa riding my tie, or silly ass Christmas trees on my tie. Though, I am a fan of red, white, green, and any other seasonal color combination.

Trouble is, would a red, white, and green stripped prep tie provide the same "seasonal" fix as a Santa Claus or Christmas Tree?

AirTran allows seasonal ties, and they even have the uniform supplier make up some of our own designs just for the holidays. I usually wear a Christmas tie from the day after thanksgiving until the day after Christmas. The passenger seem to like them, and I don't think there's anyone that finds them unprofessional.

I also agree with you about the flag code, though. The flag isn't meant to be worn as clothing.

I like the DL guys' C2K holiday tie :)

From a distance: Colorful, tasteful christmas ornaments.
Up close: Each ornament had a "sticking point" of negotiations written on it in white text.

Ok, well after a little research I have found a few instances where you would salute indoors. These are very rare but are acceptable in the AF.

Main Gate driving through security

Receiving an award

Colors are being honored

Reporting in.

I stand corrected, but of course this is always the case

Maybe I'm just an aviation nerd or old fashioned, but to me, sharp crewmembers' uniforms are (both Air and Ground) a symbol of competence, professionalism, and authority in the finest nautical and aeronautical traditions. A tradition that spans literally hundreds of years that says "I take responsibility for the safe passage of these souls to their port of destination and the safe transport of his cargo to the fullest extent of my professional abilities."

I agree 100%. I hope this article opens the eyes of the unprofessional and disgraceful slobs who parade around the airport looking like cow dung. The whole "pax don't care" attitude is BS. Pax do care, and these people not only embarrass themselves, but the entire profession.

I always wear to work the blue jeans that are on the top of the pile.
The boxes of piss seem to respond better.

We do seasonal ties between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day. We actually have a uniform seasonal tie. I alternate it with a navy blue one with pointsettias on it.

I'm not a big fan of Santa ties, etc., either.

AirTran allows seasonal ties, and they even have the uniform supplier make up some of our own designs just for the holidays. I usually wear a Christmas tie from the day after thanksgiving until the day after Christmas. The passenger seem to like them, and I don't think there's anyone that finds them unprofessional.

I also agree with you about the flag code, though. The flag isn't meant to be worn as clothing.

Certainly not trying to flame either of you. BUT, I'm curious what you think of the ALPA "flag" tie?

Certainly not trying to flame either of you. BUT, I'm curious what you think of the ALPA "flag" tie?

I've been known to wear it on occasion at certain ALPA events, but I've always felt that ALPA should have a tie without the US flag included. I think it's tacky to put the flag on a piece of clothing.

Pilot in command

Pilot uniforms and public perception . . . I recently flew with a captain who wore a white wool winter hat on his head through the terminal in uniform.

Believe me, it looked as bad as it seems it would when you read that sentence.

I agree 100%. I hope this article opens the eyes of the unprofessional and disgraceful slobs who parade around the airport looking like cow dung. The whole "pax don't care" attitude is BS. Pax do care, and these people not only embarrass themselves, but the entire profession.

No, they embarrass other airline pilots. I don't really care.

If you want to get paid like a professional, look and act like a professional.

While I try to adhere to your advise, I did discover walking through the terminal the other day that my fly was down. My starched shirt, polished shoes and spiffy hat were not able to redirect the attention of gawkers and on-lookers. :eek::drool:

Somedays I just feel like a corndog trying to survive in a sushi world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back