Pilot to ATC ??

HenryTheAce

I am working on my CFI right now and got selected with this new FAA public hiring ATC. Took the at-sat yesterday and am getting results 7-9 business days. Wondering to get insight from people who have maybe switched from Flying professionally to ATC, or vice versa, etc.

Thanks.

The process is long but if you make it's great. I went throught the pubnat in 2009 and was selected for norcal tracon. the total time was about 9 months from at-sat until getting a class date at OKC. The training in OKC isn't that bad for pilots, pretty much starts out with private pilot ground school, then goes into the 7110.65 and a few weeks of sim sessions. The different housing arrangements they have in OKC are all top notch. If you decide to find a few roommates and do something outside the faa list you can make your per diem go A LOT futher.

Once you leave OKC training at the facility takes about a year to get fully certified and is a bit more intesnse based on what level the facility is. Be sure your willing to give up flying on a full time basis. There won't be any issues with flying for pleasure on your days off, but you'll have to look into doing commerical work on your time off. I loved the training, loved the people i worked with, but coudln't spend the rest of my career working indoors. I wish you the best of luck and encourage you to visit stuckmic.com, the ATC version of JetCareers.

I went from being a controller of 10 years to Pilot. It is a great career working for the FAA. I miss it sometimes to be honest. The flying bug's another story though. If you can choose, try to get a center position. I have worked tower and center and I enjoyed center the most. Yes the training takes a lot longer compared to tower, but it's worth it. Prepare to study your ass off at the academy, and it only gets harder from there but just take it one step at a time and you will do fine.

Just be mindful of the age cutoff. I went down the ATC screening route back when the regionals were headed into the toilet in 2008 and I was facing my upcoming furlough. The sad part was that my 30th birthday was the *day after* the interview, which made me ineligible. I'm assuming that 30 is still the cutoff nowadays...

Back