If you want to learn how to fly, do this.

Alaska makes aviators out of pilots.
Unless it kills them first. ;)

*Perhaps gratuitous prophylactic caveat: I flew there, so I guess I've earned my right to be snarky.

Grant provides revenue tickets to and from work for commuters as they are not in CASS so jump seat is not a option.
From where and to where would one be commuting? Are people living L48 and commuting to Anchorage?

Yeah, Ulla Rasmussen was the Chief Pilot when I was there. Are you saying they have had another in the past 6 months? The guy before her was still flying for the company and was a real tool. Very angry guy. Not sure of the history.
An angry Alaskan pilot who drinks for dinner?? Nah, never met one.

I have met a couple of the management folks for Grant and they seemed like normal human beings who were trying to run a functional operation in the face of near-insurmountable odds. OTOH the couple folks I met from Hageland/Ravn management seemed very, very sharp and definitely safety minded and forward-thinking, not at all the western Alaska deviant stereotype.

From where and to where would one be commuting? Are people living L48 and commuting to Anchorage?

A lot of guys out west commute from the lower 48. I have not worked for Grant, but at other companies some pilots commute from other countries!

A lot of guys out west commute from the lower 48. I have not worked for Grant, but at other companies some pilots commute from other countries!

Well it is a lot cheaper to have your winter home in a 3rd world country and all. I mean it beats Nor Cal for sure in terms of cost of living.

Bethel seems nice compared to Emmonak. The Grant terminal there does not have any sort of water or sewer. Literally a trash bag in the toilet..

"Bethel seems nice compared to Emmonak. The Grant terminal there does not have any sort of water or sewer. Literally a trash bag in the toilet.."

Alaska Airlines in Bethel would come in and take all the water from the airport terminal tanks for ballast. Think they did this after a combi-737 would unload freight and be forward CG. Our manager at PenAir got sick twice and the primary culprit seemed to be the terminal in Bethel after Alaska Air would do this because then there were no flush toilets and people couldn't was their hands. It was after seeing this that I understood part of the contempt in which some of my truly Alaska bred pilot friends would call them Seattle Air or Loafer Air.

A guy I know got a job there this past winter. Had nothing good to say. A lot of churn in the pilot pool.

Training is a mess. No pay while in training. Be prepared to wait a month or more as they do not have instructors or aircraft for training. Chief pilot is a clueless mess. Aircraft are junk. Bunch of old tired sleds.

He stuck it out and is still there but looking to jump as soon as he has other options.

Employers are required to pay for training. It's federal law.

Back