Pilatus with 7 Aboard Down Off The Coast of NC

I've flown the /45, the /47 (classic series 10 but not NG), and the /47 NG. What do you want to know
On an NG, can you do a complete and total power cycle without cutting the engine? I understand the systems, but do you know of an issue or a "gotcha" that doing that would create? Killing all the power with the engine still running?

On an NG, can you do a complete and total power cycle without cutting the engine? I understand the systems, but do you know of an issue or a "gotcha" that doing that would create? Killing all the power with the engine still running?

Well, to be frank, I never tried it, and it was pretty much verboten at our company to screw with the overhead electrical panel on the NG unless the checklist told you to. Presumably you could throw the red "DON'T F-ING TOUCH ME!" switch, but if you did all that it'd be quite a while before the Honeywell came back online? There's a ton of relays controlling everything

if you're talking, "moving all the switches to off" then turning them back on in flight... then looking at the diagram, I don't see what would remain powered, but I haven't flown it in almost 2 years now. There may be some sort of directly wired stuff that keeps the circuitry to the Gen powered?

Well, to be frank, I never tried it, and it was pretty much verboten at our company to screw with the overhead electrical panel on the NG unless the checklist told you to. Presumably you could throw the red "DON'T F-ING TOUCH ME!" switch, but if you did all that it'd be quite a while before the Honeywell came back online? There's a ton of relays controlling everything

if you're talking, "moving all the switches to off" then turning them back on in flight... then looking at the diagram, I don't see what would remain powered, but I haven't flown it in almost 2 years now. There may be some sort of directly wired stuff that keeps the circuitry to the Gen powered?
No I was thinking more at the hold short vs in flight. To clear a known CAS message you knew would go away with a reboot.

No I was thinking more at the hold short vs in flight. To clear a known CAS message you knew would go away with a reboot.

@Roger Roger - would probably know.

Honestly, I never had any CAS messages flying the thing if I followed our start up process to the letter. I had all sorts of issues when I didn't wait until I had Texture on the Honeywell IMap display. Never had to do that. I'd imagine it'd be fine? What kind of CAS message are you getting?

Roll-your-own abnormal checklists: Nice!

Sometimes it's necessary if you have weird extra equipment in the airplane. Not saying I agree with that as the "default" policy, but I've seen it work and be necessary - in particular if the airplane has a lot of mods. In the PC12 I never had an issue with that.

I've also flown airplanes that basically had inadequate abnormal checklists, and we ended up writing our own to at least have something.

I've also definitely never reset the flap computer on the older PC12s on the ground in villages far away from any support with no maintenance, cell service, and temperatures around -30... Never ever done that ever. But if I were to do that, I think it would be the "safer" of the options - sit on the ground and slowly freeze, or reset the computer then clear the failure then take it someplace where I won't freeze to death.

There is no reason you couldn’t do a full reboot with the engine running, but as far as I know there is no checklist that says to do it. The avionics can be quite persnickety about the order of startup/shutdown so you’d need to be cognizant of that.

Of course I am a model pilot and would never deviate from what the QRH says but I have heard of people who have had a CAS message on startup that they thought would clear with a power cycle who instead used their system knowledge to do a reset of the effected LRU (say, a radio unit or the fuel quantity computer) via circuit breaker and according to those people who shall remain anonymous until statutes of limitations expire it worked out fine unless something turned out to be hard broke.

@Roger Roger - would probably know.

Honestly, I never had any CAS messages flying the thing if I followed our start up process to the letter. I had all sorts of issues when I didn't wait until I had Texture on the Honeywell IMap display. Never had to do that. I'd imagine it'd be fine? What kind of CAS message are you getting?
It was an amber "Hydraulic" I knew it would clear and we shut down for the reboot. But as a thought exercise i wondered if I could have done it engine running.

There is no reason you couldn’t do a full reboot with the engine running, but as far as I know there is no checklist that says to do it. The avionics can be quite persnickety about the order of startup/shutdown so you’d need to be cognizant of that.

Of course I am a model pilot and would never deviate from what the QRH says but I have heard of people who have had a CAS message on startup that they thought would clear with a power cycle who instead used their system knowledge to do a reset of the effected LRU (say, a radio unit or the fuel quantity computer) via circuit breaker and according to those people who shall remain anonymous until statutes of limitations expire it worked out fine unless something turned out to be hard broke.
The QRH is missing a note that accompanies the procedure in the PIM. If there are no maint facilities available after a visual inspection you can reboot and see if the message comes back.

Back