Pilatus with 7 Aboard Down Off The Coast of NC

Man, something sounds seriously wrong just from that transcript. Either zero instrument competency, major medical issue, or massive mechanical/equipment failure that for some reason he didn’t report.

Something was definitely strange. I think the right seat student pilot was the owner, not that it means anything.
On the youtube channel of "he who shall not be named" it was reported they were father and son. Son, allegedly, was in the left seat as a student pilot.

On the youtube channel of "he who shall not be named" it was reported they were father and son. Son, allegedly, was in the left seat as a student pilot.

Ah, didn’t know that, thanks. The owner also had a student pilot cert.

Edit: the son doesn’t appear in the database (not that it’s that meaningful) but the owner does.

Last edited:
Student having trouble figuring out the equipment and father showing him how with both heads down?
Possibly. They were switching approaches. Which requires action on the top middle screen via a track ball and "mouse button" for lack of a better term. Even worse there are two of the buttons on either side of the controller and when pressed do not perform the same function. So if you are seating in the left seat with your right hand on the controller your thumb would do one thing but if you are sitting in the right using your left hand your thumb press would do something different. Supposedly the father was in the right seat possibly giving his son some left seat time. He may have fallen into that trap. Pressing the button from the opposite side causes the cursor to jump screens. So it would take additional presses to get back to the original screen. AND they arent very sensitive. So you may have to press it multiple times just to get it to react once.

Possibly. They were switching approaches. Which requires action on the top middle screen via a track ball and "mouse button" for lack of a better term. Even worse there are two of the buttons on either side of the controller and when pressed do not perform the same function. So if you are seating in the left seat with your right hand on the controller your thumb would do one thing but if you are sitting in the right using your left hand your thumb press would do something different. Supposedly the father was in the right seat possibly giving his son some left seat time. He may have fallen into that trap. Pressing the button from the opposite side causes the cursor to jump screens. So it would take additional presses to get back to the original screen. AND they arent very sensitive. So you may have to press it multiple times just to get it to react once.

Where are you seeing that the son was in the left seat, and how would they know that?

Student having trouble figuring out the equipment and father showing him how with both heads down?
I mean it’s possible but good grief with that flight deck just put the flight path symbol on the airport and after you land turn in your instrument rating because if loading and flying an RNAV approach gets you that jammed up you shouldn’t have it, much less be driving around in a pressurized turboprop. Good they found the CVR and LDR.

I would think letting a < PPL sit left and receive instruction in IMC in a complex/high perf aircraft would be negligent homicide. I’m hoping that’s not what happened but we should find out soon.

I would think letting a < PPL sit left and receive instruction in IMC in a complex/high perf aircraft would be negligent homicide. I’m hoping that’s not what happened but we should find out soon.
I’m not sure I agree with this. Lots of 3000 hour pilots would be justifiably comfortable doing a bit of this. It’s certainly a high threat environment with the weather and the low altitude factors but nothing a “my airplane!” Shouldn’t fix.

I’m not sure I agree with this. Lots of 3000 hour pilots would be justifiably comfortable doing a bit of this. It’s certainly a high threat environment with the weather and the low altitude factors but nothing a “my airplane!” Shouldn’t fix.
Also with synthetic vision and a shaker...and a pusher. Im going be real surprised if this was a graveyard spiral.

Gotcha. Just seems a little odd that a youtuber would have better information than the FAA at this point.

1645909119939.gif

Have you not internetted in your life before?

Back