Pictures from the road, Version 2.0

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
I get A LOT of requests for more "Pictures From the Road."

Quite frankly, carrying around a digital camera, uploading pictures to the server and then plugging them into HTML pages and then uploading that is a little cumbersome and time consuming.

But, I've always got my cellular telephone in my pocket.

So over the next week, I'm going to debut "Pictures From the Road Version 2.0" -- kind of a stupid name, but hey, I'm a stupid kind of guy.

PFTR 2.0 is going to combine the technologies of camera-enabled cellphones with the "Pictures from the Road" feature of the site with "A Day in the Life of an Airline pilot". So when I take a picture with my cellular telephone and email it to a designated email address, the software on the server will download the email and automatically post it onto a page.

I'm still working out some kinks in the software so I'm not going to publicize the URL yet.

Sure the quality of a focus-free telephone camera isn't going to win me any Pulitzers or Edward R. Morrow awards for photojournalism, but it'll give a semi-live visual aspect of a day in the life of an airline pilot.

Might suck, might be cool, I dunno, we'll just see what happens! The fusion may work, it may not, who knows!

Sweet! Can't wait to see it. Just have a little MIDI of the Beatles' "A Day in the Life" playing in the background and you'd be set. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/insane.gif Actually, if you had that playing, nobody'd want to become an airline pilot 'cause it'd make everything seem sorta depressing. 'Cause it's a depressing song. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bandit.gif [/rambling]

The idea and the technology sound cool. I really like seeing those Pictures from the Road. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
"Pictures From the Road Version 2.0" -- kind of a stupid name, but hey

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of version 2.0 . . . I think it was in one of the midwest states . . . a computer guru and his wife had a son and named the boy after his father, but instead of "Jr" or "II" they named him John Doe "2.0"

hope they don't send him to public school . . . bullies will have fun with that!

Enough of the teaser campaign man, where's the pics? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Enough of the teaser campaign man, where's the pics? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's coming man! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Two of three are actually up and running, but I've been testing mine with personal photos all afternoon so unless you want to see me enjoying a beer down at the Fox Sports Grill or a bunch of cats... Well ya know! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

umh...

Those are great pictures and all, but do any of them deal with flying? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/insane.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OOPS forgot the smiley, man those things make a huge difference.

They will ALL deal with flying.. give it a day, he just got the site up!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

all the previous photos were "test" photos only....

Just show us some photos of your cat or whatever. Anything but those signs.

I think everyone's missing the idea. I take a photo, email it to the server and it's posted minutes thereafter.

I'm sitting in front of a laptop, drinking a beer, watching the Olympics in my underwear. Do you perverts wanna see that? hahaha!

[ QUOTE ]
Do you perverts wanna see that? hahaha!

[/ QUOTE ]

After the "rejection" letter you wrote me?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think what people do not understand, when Doug is on a trip he is going to take pictures of interesting things, that an airline pilot experience - his food court lunch, a nice view from 33,000 feet, an interesting display on his panel, and they will all be up on the site in minutes.

PS I love the SA picture -

Well, my page is live as well. Check it out at:

http://bogberto.jetcareers.com/

Tomorrow (Sunday) I'm on ready reserve at the airport for ... 12 hours. Yeah, think I'll be sending roses to crew tracking with a note of "there's more if you let me go home early."

My plan is to have my digital camera with me and take a few pics during the day. I'll post them when I get home Sunday night, assuming I do. Requests are welcome, as long as they don't get me into trouble. Right now I'm paying 25 cents per pix message, so even though I'm an overpaid / rich airline Captain, don't count on too many initially.

-B

Just another great Idea that will make this site even better than it already is (Not like it isn't already the best website on the Net). I look forward to all your great pictures. Keep up the Good work Doug!

Back