Pictures from the Ramp (November/Decemeber 2009)

Very nice work. More prop blur for the inflight PC-12, I know it was a lowlight situation and most likely taken with a p&s, redeemed in the ground shot. Love the last shot with the snow removal rig...not what one would expect in an aviation forum. Shows other aspects of airport ops.

Fill flash

And bounce it off the nice white ceilings that just about every aircraft has. Don't do direct flash, you'll get nasty white reflections off the glass.
Ahh, thanks for the tip. I guess now I can add an external flash to the list of things I want: Nikon D5000 with 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses, a Sigma 10-20mm lens, a remote shutter release cord, a mini tripod (for traveling), and a bag to carry it all around in. This is about to become an expensive hobby...

Ahh, thanks for the tip. I guess now I can add an external flash to the list of things I want: Nikon D5000 with 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses, a Sigma 10-20mm lens, a remote shutter release cord, a mini tripod (for traveling), and a bag to carry it all around in. This is about to become an expensive hobby...

You could probably do just fine with an ML-L3 infrared shutter release... and those are only $18.00!

Hey Ctab, I haven't picked mine up yet, but do you have to click it off from in front of the camera where the IR sensor is?

Hey Ctab, I haven't picked mine up yet, but do you have to click it off from in front of the camera where the IR sensor is?
I was under the impression that was the case, but I want to be behind the camera when I'm taking the photo so that's why I was thinking the cord might be more useful. Not sure why it costs over $30 on amazon.com while the wireless one is only $10...

I was under the impression that was the case, but I want to be behind the camera when I'm taking the photo so that's why I was thinking the cord might be more useful. Not sure why it costs over $30 on amazon.com while the wireless one is only $10...

Yeah, I just figured that for the price, I'd be perfectly willing to give it a shot anyway. What's the model number of the cord you're looking at?

Aaaah thanks! The package they're showing with the MC-DC2, ML-L3, and the EN-EL3e doesn't look like a terrible deal... At least assuming you need both the wired and wireless remote releases.

Thanks for all the compliments everyone!

@TFaudree - thanks for the tips on the cockpit shots. I'll try that next time I'm in an airplane with my camera. Looks like I'm gonna have to rig together some sort of mirror contraption. ;)

Thanks for all the compliments everyone!

@TFaudree - thanks for the tips on the cockpit shots. I'll try that next time I'm in an airplane with my camera. Looks like I'm gonna have to rig together some sort of mirror contraption. ;)

I was thinking of possibly using tinfoil? Maybe if I cranked the flash way up it could work.

I was thinking of possibly using tinfoil? Maybe if I cranked the flash way up it could work.

I'm thinking for my camera (Nikon D40) all I would have to do is just get a small mirror and attach it at an angle slightly in front of and underneath the flash.

Or I could just buy a separate flash thinger that rotates up.

I'll probably try the first idea. :D

Now that I think about it, yeah, tin foil would probably reflect the light enough. I don't see why it wouldn't?

Back