PEARL

A Life Aloft

We had the opportunity to meet a few survivors from the attack on Pearl Harbor today as we went down to the USS Iowa. I have only met a handful of these survivors over the years and it is not only a honor, but a deeply humbling experience.......one that I will always treasure. Most of the men aboard these ships were just boys at the time or very young men. Yet the courage and the mettle that they showed on that terrible day is inspiring.

May their histories and stories never be forgotten.

Gordon Jones and his brother Earl had been stationed at Kaneohe on December 2 1941, and yet only five days later they were to have their baptism of fire. Between the first and second wave, they were kept busy trying to extinguish fires and moving less damaged planes to safer locations. When it began, they had no reason to suspect that the second wave would be any different to the first.

Gordon recalls: 'When this new wave of fighters attacked, we were ordered to run and take shelter. Most of us ran to our nearest steel hangar . . . this bomb attack made us aware that the hangar was not a safe place to be . . . several of us ran north to an abandoned Officer's Club and hid under it until it too was machine-gunned. I managed to crawl out and took off my white uniform, because I was told that men in whites were targets. I then climbed under a large thorny bush . . . for some reason I felt much safer at this point than I had during the entire attack.' For most of the men at Kaneohe, there was little else they could do but take cover until the devastating assault had passed.

heins-hickam-field-pearl.jpg

1942-air-force-still.jpg

1247420_orig.jpg

Chief Ordnanceman John William Finn, a Navy veteran of 15 years service, was in charge of looking after the squadron's machine-guns at Kaneohe, but Sunday 7 December was his rest day. The sound of machine-gun fire awoke him rudely.

Maddened by the scene of chaos and devastation that he saw, he set up and manned both a .30-cal. and a .50-cal. machine-gun in a completely exposed section of the parking ramp, despite the attention of heavy enemy strafing fire. He later recalled: 'I was so mad I wasn't scared'. Finn was hit several times by bomb shrapnel as he valiantly returned the Japanese fire, but he continued to man the gun, as other sailors supplied him with ammunition. John Finn was later awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for his valor and courage beyond the call of duty in this action. Even after receiving some first aid treatment, he insisted on returning to his post to supervise the re-arming of the returning PBYs that had escaped the devastation at Kaneohe.

8-18-273.jpg

Fifteen-year-old sailor Martin Matthews of Shelbyville, W. Va., shouldn't have been on the USS Arizona on Dec. 7, 1941. Assigned to nearby Ford Island Naval Station, Matthews was on board the Arizona to visit an old buddy, Seaman 1st Class William Stafford, en route to some sightseeing on shore.

Like the other crews in Pearl Harbor that fateful morning, the sailors of the Arizona were on the deck for morning colors and the singing of "The Star-Spangled Banner." According to most reports, the crew members did not move until the last note was sung, as usual -- despite the billowing columns of smoke across the water and the thundering Japanese gunfire. Pearl Harbor was under attack. It took Japanese planes less than 15 minutes to break the back of the enormous USS Arizona. While some witnesses recall at least one other torpedo hit, it was one bomb, from decorated Japanese bombardier Petty Officer Noboru Kanai's plane, that penetrated the main deck. "I think the second bomb that hit was close to the aft deck that I was on . . . it scared the living hell out of me," Matthews said.

Matthews was blown overboard by the explosion, still in the dress whites he'd donned for sightseeing. "There were steel fragments in the air . . . and pieces of bodies." He swam to a mooring buoy and clung to it through the rest of the attack.

USS-arizona-burns-2.jpg

shape_pic-851.png

Henry A. Lachenmayer, of Oxon Hill, Md., U.S.S. Pennsylvania
"At exactly three minutes of eight, looking over toward the Naval Air Station on Ford Island, we could see a group of planes proceeding gently from a high altitude and then leveling off about 150 feet from the ground.

To our unsuspecting eyes it was just another drill, though it was somewhat peculiar that they would pick Sunday morning for maneuvering. Not until we saw the flames shoot out of the large hangar at the head of the small island did we realize the significance of the situation.

Lachenmayer scrambled to reach his battle station, where he helped put out a fire ignited by an explosion in the main deck and in the case mate, the enclosure where anti-aircraft shells were stored.

A plane that looked half like a Stuka and half like one of our own dive bombers was just leveling off and I could see the bombs dropping out of its bottom. It was a silver-gray plane with a reddish gold ball or sun painted on its side. I still don't know how I got my instrument in my case and back to the shelf in the band room but I must have made Superman's speed look amateurish. By this time all hands were manning their battle stations and I proceeded towards mine, stopping on the way to get my gas mask.

I returned to my station and found work enough; a fire had broken out on the second deck and had to be attended to with haste. . . .

The fire was precipitated by the bursting of a 500-pound bomb in the case mate and the main deck. The havoc created by this one bomb hit can never be exaggerated.

All our fire extinguishers were used up in no time. . . . Due to the cooperation of all hands concerned, the fire was eventually put out.

Ahead of us in dry dock were two destroyers also under repair, despite their wonderful barrage and cooperation; (they fought like wild cats) a number of bomb hits were scored and their crews were forced to abandon. . . .

Directly aft of us, moored at ten-ten dock, were the U.S.S. Oglala and the U.S.S. Helena. These two vessels, the former a mine layer and the latter one of our latest 10,000-ton cruisers, were tied or moored together. An enemy torpedo plane headed directly for the Oglala . . . and launched its torpedo. The old ship, severely injured, immediately turned on its side, and sank.

On the other side of the harbor . . . our battleships were receiving a merciless pounding. The U.S.S. Arizona received two bomb hits amidship and a great number of torpedoes. She split in half and her forward magazines burst. Directly forward of her, the U.S.S. Oklahoma received many torpedo hits and capsized.

Next to her the U.S.S. West Virginia received a tremendous amount of bomb hits and her whole port battery was wiped out. . . . The U.S.S. Tennessee stood up fairly, or rather, remarkably well considering the pounding she took. The U.S.S. Maryland stood as solid as a piece of granite and fought the enemy. She remained in one piece.

Directly forward of the Maryland, though some distance away . . ., the U.S.S. California received torpedo hits and listed on her port side. The U.S.S. Nevada, in a daring attempt to reach the open sea through the channel, was torpedoed and her wary skipper grounded her on the right side of the harbor in order to keep the channel clear.

One destroyer in the floating dry dock on our starboard was hit and went on fire, burning right at the bridge.

Now to the casualties, and I write this with a heavy heart. On our own ship, the one bomb hit pierced the boat deck abreast of No. 7 A.A. gun and tore through the No. 9 case mate and down to the main deck. All this area exploded with vigor. The Marine division suffered the severest losses.

First Lieutenant Craig, standing near the three-inch gun, had both legs blown off and received other injuries; he died almost on the spot.

Doctor Rall, a lieutenant junior grade, and a pharmacist's mate were mangled and killed instantly. This information I received from one of the musicians, Andrew Lambert, who, standing near by, saw it happen and was shell-shocked. His fellow stretcher bearer, Musician S.W. Craig, survived with minor injuries.

I wandered around the dressing station, my eyes not believing what they saw. I gave a drink here and loosened an article of clothing there; there was not much else I could do.

Many were badly burned and screamed for relief of pain; they had already received drug injections, and a glass of water to the lips was in many cases the only human assistance possible."

g32511.jpg

pa_002_downes-cassin.jpg

Last edited:
Victor Andrew Bourasaw- USS Ramsay

7 December 1941
"This morning at a few minutes before eight the Japanese began an air raid on Pearl Harbor and Hickam Field. The Utah and the Raleigh was hit by torpedoes launched by torpedo planes and dive bombers. Bombs of all kind - incendiary, shrapnel and high explosives - were dropped. The hangars on Ford Island and Hickam Field were set afire and all the grounded planes staffed. Also numerous oil tanks were set afire, burning for two days and nights.

About 0815 a submarine was discovered inside of the harbor astern of the Medusa and the Curtis (two destroyer tenders). A nest of destroyers were alongside of the Medusa, and all were taking pot shots at [the sub’s] conning tower. One 3-inch shell hit her bow and tore it off. She then submerged and reappeared again. The Monaghan, DD-354, had got under way and made for her, ramming her and letting go two depth charges. A mighty cheer went up from the crews of the ships around. Of course she has never reappeared since. Unfortunately the Monaghan ran her bow onto the beach on Ford Island and she had to back her engines full speed and, at that, had difficulty backing off.

The Ramsay crew acted like veterans under fire. Each man to the lowest rating did his duty and did it well. Am proud to be a member of a crew like this.

The enemy aircraft, having dropped their bombs, now turn to strafing. They sure are bum shots. We were strafed five times and have only one bullet hole to show on the ship, through the rail on the flying deck.

It was terrible to have to go through that oil-covered water on the way out, seeing our shipmates struggling in it and not being able to help them. We threw life buoys to the ones we saw that needed one.

We found submarines in wait outside. We dropped depth charges as did the other destroyers. The navy authorities are sure that we got four subs. The subs evidently were waiting for the battleships to come out but of course they never did. It would have been suicide. We have heard that the West Virginia and the Oklahoma were damaged. We could see the West Virginia listing considerably as we were leaving port. All this morning the destroyers were busy tracking down subs, pounding them with depth charges. All this morning destroyers are busy tracking down subs, pounding them with depth charges."

g19930.jpg

USS_Oklahoma_%28BB37%29-_Salvage_3-19-43,_1599-43,_View_from_off-shore_with_ship_in_about_70_degree_position_-_NARA_-_296964.jpg

eOioI.So.4.jpg

fig34.jpg

5b7841c68fdbd97d672a4db6dc59fd4a.jpg

sailors-at-naval-air-station-kaneohe-hawaii-attempt-to-salvage-a-burning-pby-catalina-in-the-aftermath-of-the-japanese-attack-on-pearl-harbor-1.jpg

USSWestVirginia1.jpg

USSMaryland.jpg

FordIslandCleanup.jpg

japanese-torpedo-plane-salvaged-from-the-bottom-of-pearl-harbor.jpg

Journal notes kept by George Macartney Hunter, an officer with the U.S. Naval Reserve assigned to the USS West Virginia stationed at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
"Pearl Harbor was a devastating sight. Forward of the West Virginia the Oklahoma lay bottom up."
P.H.- December 7, 1941 Sunday

"Awoke this morning at 0730. Moe, Heavy, York, and myself had a golf match scheduled and planned to leave the ship at 0930. I lay sleepy-eyed in my bunk for some time.

At 07:45 the General Alarm sounded followed by "Away Fire and Rescue Party". I cussed a bit about having to turn-to; these alarms usually secured before one was able to dress and reach his station. Consequently, I was in no particular hurry to get dressed.

Suddenly the General Alarm sounded again; and, simultaneously, a terrific explosion rocked the ship. Vail, Hine, and I looked at each other; "This is war!", said Pete and started topsides on the double. I headed for Sky Control but it was tough going as the ship listed heavily to port almost immediately. On reaching the second level in the mast, I met several of the men coming down. All communications and transmission to the guns had been lost with the first explosion (later reports stated that the West Virginia had taken four torpedoes to port).

We abandoned Sky Control and went down to the boat deck. Extra hands were needed to convey the shells to the starboard guns; the entire port battery had been put out of the commission by the "fish". There was no air pressure and all ramming was done by hand. In the excitement the shells were fired without setting fuses.

Pearl Harbor was a devastating sight. Forward of the West Virginia the Oklahoma lay bottom up. Inboard of her the Maryland was putting up a tremendous volume of fire. I wondered what the "rump-rump" noise was and suddenly realized it to be the Maryland's 1.1" guns which proved extremely effective. Astern of us the Arizona was a mass of flame. The sky was rapidly filling with AA fire, but high altitude Jap bombers flew directly overhead in perfect formation. They came in waves, five to each formation. We counted at least ten of these groups.

Our 5" guns were firing on these bombers as they came in on the starboard bow. As ammunition started to run out I went forward to the starboard hoist. It was inoperative and Nolen, our Chief Gunner's Mate, was futilely attempting to contact "Supply" on the sound powered phone. I started back on the boat deck and was knocked down by the muzzle blast of our own #3 gun going off. Unhurt, however, and I continued to the ship's service phone on the after bulkhead of the foremast. It was dead when I picked it up.

During this time Hank, Freddy White, and Mr. Johnson had been directing the guns. When we fired the last of our 30 rounds everyone left the boat deck, and, on orders from Mr. Ricketts, went over the side to aid in manning the Tennessee batteries which were doing a splendid job. Word came down about this time that the Captain had been killed by strafing on the bridge. Mr. Ricketts and Mr. White tried unsuccessfully to bring him down; it didn't matter anyhow. Several of these officers were trapped by the fire on the bridge and rescued by Hank Graham. He climbed up on the starboard crane and threw them a line attached to a fire hose. This they secured to the bridge while Hank secured the other end to the crane; they all came down hand-over-hand.
We had been under attack for 15 minutes at this time and the harbor was a living hell. Astern of us the Arizona's forward magazine had blown up; the Vestal alongside of her had been hit squarely amidships. Smoke was spreading rapidly over the harbor. Very shortly the day became black as night; it was terrifying beyond means of description.

We had scarcely left the boat-deck when a large bomb hit the foremast, glanced off, and came down on the boat-deck. We would all have been killed had there been any ammunition left for the guns. Learned later that a dud had hit directly on the top of Turret III. It killed several men but Archie, Turret JO, escaped uninjured. Still, those yellow bastards were bombing with hairline accuracy."

Last edited:
The Navy and Marine Corp suffered a total of 2,896 casualties of which 2,117 were deaths (Navy 2,008, Marines 109) and 779 wounded (Navy 710, Marines 69). The Army (as of midnight, 10 December) lost 228 killed or died of wounds, 113 seriously wounded and 346 slightly wounded. In addition, at least 57 civilians were killed and nearly as many seriously injured.

USS Arizona (BB-39)
- sunk, total loss, lies at bottom of Pearl Harbor
USS Oklahoma (BB-37) - capsized, total loss
USS West Virginia (BB-48) - sunk, later raised, repaired and rejoined fleet July 1944
USS California (BB-44) - sunk, later raised, repaired and rejoined fleet May 1944
USS Nevada (BB-36) - heavily damaged, grounded, repaired and rejoined fleet December 1942
USS Pennsylvania (BB-38) - was in drydock - slightly damaged, repaired and rejoined fleet August 1942
USS Maryland (BB-46) - damaged, repaired and rejoined fleet February 1942
USS Tennessee (BB-43) - damaged, repaired and rejoined fleet March 1942.

Cruisers:

USS Helena (CL-50) - heavily damaged, repaired and rejoined fleet June 1942
USS Honolulu (CL-48) - damaged, repaired and rejoined fleet January 1942
USS Raleigh (CL-7) - heavily damaged, repaired and rejoined fleet July 1942

Destroyers:

USS Cassin (DD-372) - was in drydock - heavily damaged, rebuilt and rejoined fleet February 1944
USS Downes (DD-375) - was in drydock - heavily damaged rebuilt and rejoined fleet November 1943
USS Helm (DD-388) - damaged, continued on patrol, repaired and rejoined fleet January 1942
USS Shaw (DD-373) - in floating drydock - severely damaged and repaired

Minelayers:

USS Oglala (CM-4) - sunk, raised, repaired and rejoined fleet February 1944

Auxiliaries:

Seaplane Tender - USS Curtiss (AV-4) - damaged, repaired and rejoined fleet January 1942
Harbor Tug - USS Sotoyomo (YT-9) - with Shaw - sunk, raised, repaired and rejoined fleet August 1942
USS Utah (AG-16) - capsized, on bottom of Pearl Harbor
Vestal - heavily damaged, beached, refloated, repaired and rejoined fleet February 1942
YFD-2 - sunk, raised, refloated, repaired and rejoined fleet May 1942

Aircraft Losses

U.S. Navy - 92 lost, 31 damaged.
U.S. Army - 77 lost, 128 damaged.
Japanese - 9 fighters, 15 dive bombers, 5 torpedo bombers.

Last edited:
Congressional Medal of Honor
Heroes of Pearl Harbor

Awarded Posthumously

MERVYN SHARP BENNION
Rank and organization: Captain, U.S. Navy.
Place and date: During the attack on the Fleet in Pearl Harbor, by Japanese forces on 7 December 1941.
Born: 5 May 1887, Vernon, Utah.
Appointed from: Utah.

As Commanding Officer of the U.S.S. West Virginia, after being mortally wounded, Capt. Bennion evidenced apparent concern only in fighting and saving his ship, and strongly protested against being carried from the bridge.

JOHN WILLIAM FINN
Rank and organization: Lieutenant, U.S. Navy.
Place and date: Naval Air Station, Kaneohe Bay, Territory of Hawaii, 7 December 1941.
Entered service at: California.
Born: 23 July 1909, Los Angeles, California.

During the first attack by Japanese airplanes on the Naval Air Station, Kaneohe Bay, on 7 December 1941, Lt. Finn promptly secured and manned a .50-caliber machinegun mounted on an instruction stand in a completely exposed section of the parking ramp, which was under heavy enemy machinegun strafing fire. Although painfully wounded many times, he continued to man this gun and to return the enemy's fire vigorously and with telling effect throughout the enemy strafing and bombing attacks and with complete disregard for his own personal safety. It was only by specific orders that he was persuaded to leave his post to seek medical attention. Following first aid treatment, although obviously suffering much pain and moving with great difficulty, he returned to the squadron area and actively supervised the rearming of returning planes. His extraordinary heroism and conduct in this action were in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.

Awarded Posthumously

FRANCIS C. FLAHERTY
Rank and organization: Ensign, U.S. Naval Reserve.
Place and date: During the attack on the Fleet in Pearl Harbor, by Japanese forces on 7 December 1941.
Born: 15 March 1919, Charlotte, Michigan.
Accredited to: Michigan.

When it was seen that the U.S.S. Oklahoma was going to capsize and the order was given to abandon ship, Ens. Flaherty remained in a turret, holding a flashlight so the remainder of the turret crew could see to escape, thereby sacrificing his own life.

SAMUEL GLENN FUQUA
Rank and organization: Captain, U.S. Navy, U.S.S. Arizona.
Place and date: Pearl Harbor, Territory of Hawaii, 7 December 1941.
Entered service at: Laddonia, Missouri.
Born: 15 October 1899, Laddonia Mo.

Upon the commencement of the attack, Lt. Comdr. Fuqua rushed to the quarterdeck of the U.S.S. Arizona to which he was attached where he was stunned and knocked down by the explosion of a large bomb which hit the guarterdeck, penetrated several decks, and started a severe fire. Upon regaining consciousness, he began to direct the fighting of the fire and the rescue of wounded and injured personnel. Almost immediately there was a tremendous explosion forward, which made the ship appear to rise out of the water, shudder, and settle down by the bow rapidly. The whole forward part of the ship was enveloped in flames which were spreading rapidly, and wounded and burned men were pouring out of the ship to the quarterdeck. Despite these conditions, his harrowing experience, and severe enemy bombing and strafing, at the time, Lt. Comdr. Fuqua continued to direct the fighting of fires in order to check them while the wounded and burned could be taken from the ship and supervised the rescue of these men in such an amazingly calm and cool manner and with such excellent judgment that it inspired everyone who saw him and undoubtedly resulted in the saving of many lives. After realizing the ship could not be saved and that he was the senior surviving officer aboard, he directed it to be abandoned, but continued to remain on the quarterdeck and directed abandoning ship and rescue of personnel until satisfied that all personnel that could be had been saved, after which he left his ship with the boatload. The conduct of Lt. Comdr. Fuqua was not only in keeping with the highest traditions of the naval service but characterizes him as an outstanding leader of men.

EDWIN JOSEPH HILL
Rank and organization: Chief Boatswain, U.S. Navy.
Place and date: Pearl Harbor, 7 December 1941.
Born: 4 October 1894, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Accredited to: Pennsylvania.

During the height of the strafing and bombing, Chief Boatswain Hill led his men of the linehandling details of the U.S.S. Nevada to the quays, cast off the lines and swam back to his ship. Later, while on the forecastle, attempting to let go the anchors, he was blown overboard and killed by the explosion of several bombs.

Awarded Posthumously

HERBERT CHARPOIT JONES
Rank and organization: Ensign, U.S. Naval Reserve.
Born: 1 December 1918, Los Angeles, California.
Accredited to: California.

Ens. Jones organized and led a party, which was supplying ammunition to the antiaircraft battery of the U.S.S. California after the mechanical hoists were put out of action when he was fatally wounded by a bomb explosion. When two men attempted to take him from the area which was on fire, he refused to let them do so, saying in words to the effect, "Leave me alone! I am done for. Get out of here before the magazines go off."

Awarded Posthumously

ISAAC CAMPBELL KIDD
Rank and organization: Rear Admiral, U.S. Navy.
Born: 26 March 1884, Cleveland, Ohio.
Appointed from: Ohio.

Rear Adm. Kidd immediately went to the bridge and, as Commander Battleship Division One, courageously discharged his duties as Senior Officer Present Afloat until the U.S.S. Arizona, his Flagship, blew up from magazine explosions and a direct bomb hit on the bridge which resulted in the loss of his life.

JACKSON CHARLES PHARRIS
Rank and organization: Lieutenant, U.S. Navy, U.S.S. California.
Entered service at: California.
Born: 26 June 1912, Columbus, Georgia.

In charge of the ordnance repair party on the third deck when the first Japanese torpedo struck almost directly under his station, Lt. (then Gunner) Pharris was stunned and severely injured by the concussion which hurled him to the overhead and back to the deck. Quickly recovering, he acted on his own initiative to set up a hand-supply ammunition train for the antiaircraft guns. With water and oil rushing in where the port bulkhead had been torn up from the deck, with many of the remaining crewmembers overcome by oil fumes, and the ship without power and listing heavily to port as a result of a second torpedo hit, Lt. Pharris ordered the shipfitters to counterflood. Twice rendered unconscious by the nauseous fumes and handicapped by his painful injuries, he persisted in his desperate efforts to speed up the supply of ammunition and at the same time repeatedly risked his life to enter flooding compartments and drag to safety unconscious shipmates who were gradually being submerged in oil. By his inspiring leadership, his valiant efforts and his extreme loyalty to his ship and her crew, he saved many of his shipmates from death and was largely responsible for keeping the California in action during the attack. His heroic conduct throughout this first eventful engagement of World War 11 reflects the highest credit upon Lt. Pharris and enhances the finest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.

Awarded Posthumously

THOMAS JAMES REEVES
Rank and organization: Radio Electrician (Warrant Officer) U.S. Navy.
Born: 9 December 1895, Thomaston, Connecticut.
Accredited to: Connecticut.

After the mechanized ammunition hoists were put out of action in the U.S.S. California, Reeves, on his own initiative, in a burning passageway, assisted in the maintenance of an ammunition supply by hand to the antiaircraft guns until he was overcome by smoke and fire, which resulted in his death.

DONALD KIRBY ROSS
Rank and organization: Machinist, U.S. Navy, U.S.S. Nevada.
Entered service at: Denver, Colorado.
Born: 8 December 1910, Beverly, Kansas.

When his station in the forward dynamo room of the U.S.S. Nevada became almost untenable due to smoke, steam, and heat, Machinist Ross forced his men to leave that station and performed all the duties himself until blinded and unconscious. Upon being rescued and resuscitated, he returned and secured the forward dynamo room and proceeded to the after dynamo room where he was later again rendered unconscious by exhaustion. Again recovering consciousness he returned to his station where he remained until directed to abandon it.

Awarded Posthumously

ROBERT R. SCOTT
Rank and organization: Machinist's Mate First Class, U.S. Navy.
Born: 13 July 1915, Massillon, Ohio.
Accredited to: Ohio.

The air compressor compartment in the U.S.S. California, to which Scott was assigned as his battle station, was flooded as the result of a torpedo hit. The remainder of the personnel evacuated that compartment but Scott refused to leave, saying words to the effect "This is my station and I will stay and give them air as long as the guns are going."

Awarded Posthumously

PETER TOMICH
Rank and organization: Chief Watertender, U.S. Navy.
Born: 3 June 1893, Prolog, Austria.
Accredited to: New Jersey.

Although realizing that the ship was capsizing as a result of enemy bombing and torpedoing, Tomich remained at his post in the engineering plant of the U.S.S. Utah, until he saw that all boilers were secured and all fireroom personnel had left their stations, and by so doing lost his own life.

Awarded Posthumously

FRANKLIN VAN VALKENBURGH
Rank and organization: Captain, U.S. Navy.
Born: 5 April 1888, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Appointed from: Wisconsin.

As commanding officer of the U.S.S. Arizona, Capt. Van Valkenburgh gallantly fought his ship until the U.S.S. Arizona blew up from magazine explosions and a direct bomb hit on the bridge which resulted in the loss of his life.

Awarded Posthumously

JAMES RICHARD WARD
Rank and organization: Seaman First Class, U.S. Navy.
Born: 10 September 1921, Springfield, Ohio.
Entered service at: Springfield, Ohio.

When it was seen that the U.S.S. Oklahoma was going to capsize and the order was given to abandon ship, Ward remained in a turret holding a flashlight so the remainder of the turret crew could see to escape, thereby sacrificing his own life.

CASSIN YOUNG
Rank and organization: Commander, U.S. Navy.
Born: 6 March 1894, Washington, D.C.
Appointed from: Wisconsin.
Other Navy award: Navy Cross.

Comdr. Young proceeded to the bridge and later took personal command of the 3-inch antiaircraft gun. When blown overboard by the blast of the forward magazine explosion of the U.S.S. Arizona, to which the U.S.S. Vestal was moored, he swam back to his ship. The entire forward part of the U.S.S. Arizona was a blazing inferno with oil afire on the water between the 2 ships; as a result of several bomb hits, the U.S.S. Vestal was afire in several places, was settling and taking on a list. Despite severe enemy bombing and strafing at the time, and his shocking experience of having been blown overboard, Comdr. Young, with extreme coolness and calmness, moved his ship to an anchorage distant from the U.S.S. Arizona, and subsequently beached the U.S.S. Vestal upon determining that such action was required to save his ship.

We had the opportunity to meet a few survivors from the attack on Pearl Harbor today as we went down to the USS Iowa. I have only met a handful of these survivors over the years and it is not only a honor, but a deeply humbling experience.......one that I will always treasure. Most of the men aboard these ships were just boys at the time or very young men. Yet the courage and the mettle that they showed on that terrible day is inspiring.

May their histories and stories never be forgotten.

Gordon Jones and his brother Earl had been stationed at Kaneohe on December 2 1941, and yet only five days later they were to have their baptism of fire. Between the first and second wave, they were kept busy trying to extinguish fires and moving less damaged planes to safer locations. When it began, they had no reason to suspect that the second wave would be any different to the first.

Gordon recalls: 'When this new wave of fighters attacked, we were ordered to run and take shelter. Most of us ran to our nearest steel hangar . . . this bomb attack made us aware that the hangar was not a safe place to be . . . several of us ran north to an abandoned Officer's Club and hid under it until it too was machine-gunned. I managed to crawl out and took off my white uniform, because I was told that men in whites were targets. I then climbed under a large thorny bush . . . for some reason I felt much safer at this point than I had during the entire attack.' For most of the men at Kaneohe, there was little else they could do but take cover until the devastating assault had passed.

heins-hickam-field-pearl.jpg

1942-air-force-still.jpg

1247420_orig.jpg

Chief Ordnanceman John William Finn, a Navy veteran of 15 years service, was in charge of looking after the squadron's machine-guns at Kaneohe, but Sunday 7 December was his rest day. The sound of machine-gun fire awoke him rudely.

Maddened by the scene of chaos and devastation that he saw, he set up and manned both a .30-cal. and a .50-cal. machine-gun in a completely exposed section of the parking ramp, despite the attention of heavy enemy strafing fire. He later recalled: 'I was so mad I wasn't scared'. Finn was hit several times by bomb shrapnel as he valiantly returned the Japanese fire, but he continued to man the gun, as other sailors supplied him with ammunition. John Finn was later awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for his valor and courage beyond the call of duty in this action. Even after receiving some first aid treatment, he insisted on returning to his post to supervise the re-arming of the returning PBYs that had escaped the devastation at Kaneohe.

8-18-273.jpg

Fifteen-year-old sailor Martin Matthews of Shelbyville, W. Va., shouldn't have been on the USS Arizona on Dec. 7, 1941. Assigned to nearby Ford Island Naval Station, Matthews was on board the Arizona to visit an old buddy, Seaman 1st Class William Stafford, en route to some sightseeing on shore.

Like the other crews in Pearl Harbor that fateful morning, the sailors of the Arizona were on the deck for morning colors and the singing of "The Star-Spangled Banner." According to most reports, the crew members did not move until the last note was sung, as usual -- despite the billowing columns of smoke across the water and the thundering Japanese gunfire. Pearl Harbor was under attack. It took Japanese planes less than 15 minutes to break the back of the enormous USS Arizona. While some witnesses recall at least one other torpedo hit, it was one bomb, from decorated Japanese bombardier Petty Officer Noboru Kanai's plane, that penetrated the main deck. "I think the second bomb that hit was close to the aft deck that I was on . . . it scared the living hell out of me," Matthews said.

Matthews was blown overboard by the explosion, still in the dress whites he'd donned for sightseeing. "There were steel fragments in the air . . . and pieces of bodies." He swam to a mooring buoy and clung to it through the rest of the attack.

USS-arizona-burns-2.jpg

shape_pic-851.png

Henry A. Lachenmayer, of Oxon Hill, Md., U.S.S. Pennsylvania
"At exactly three minutes of eight, looking over toward the Naval Air Station on Ford Island, we could see a group of planes proceeding gently from a high altitude and then leveling off about 150 feet from the ground.

To our unsuspecting eyes it was just another drill, though it was somewhat peculiar that they would pick Sunday morning for maneuvering. Not until we saw the flames shoot out of the large hangar at the head of the small island did we realize the significance of the situation.

Lachenmayer scrambled to reach his battle station, where he helped put out a fire ignited by an explosion in the main deck and in the case mate, the enclosure where anti-aircraft shells were stored.

A plane that looked half like a Stuka and half like one of our own dive bombers was just leveling off and I could see the bombs dropping out of its bottom. It was a silver-gray plane with a reddish gold ball or sun painted on its side. I still don't know how I got my instrument in my case and back to the shelf in the band room but I must have made Superman's speed look amateurish. By this time all hands were manning their battle stations and I proceeded towards mine, stopping on the way to get my gas mask.

I returned to my station and found work enough; a fire had broken out on the second deck and had to be attended to with haste. . . .

The fire was precipitated by the bursting of a 500-pound bomb in the case mate and the main deck. The havoc created by this one bomb hit can never be exaggerated.

All our fire extinguishers were used up in no time. . . . Due to the cooperation of all hands concerned, the fire was eventually put out.

Ahead of us in dry dock were two destroyers also under repair, despite their wonderful barrage and cooperation; (they fought like wild cats) a number of bomb hits were scored and their crews were forced to abandon. . . .

Directly aft of us, moored at ten-ten dock, were the U.S.S. Oglala and the U.S.S. Helena. These two vessels, the former a mine layer and the latter one of our latest 10,000-ton cruisers, were tied or moored together. An enemy torpedo plane headed directly for the Oglala . . . and launched its torpedo. The old ship, severely injured, immediately turned on its side, and sank.

On the other side of the harbor . . . our battleships were receiving a merciless pounding. The U.S.S. Arizona received two bomb hits amidship and a great number of torpedoes. She split in half and her forward magazines burst. Directly forward of her, the U.S.S. Oklahoma received many torpedo hits and capsized.

Next to her the U.S.S. West Virginia received a tremendous amount of bomb hits and her whole port battery was wiped out. . . . The U.S.S. Tennessee stood up fairly, or rather, remarkably well considering the pounding she took. The U.S.S. Maryland stood as solid as a piece of granite and fought the enemy. She remained in one piece.

Directly forward of the Maryland, though some distance away . . ., the U.S.S. California received torpedo hits and listed on her port side. The U.S.S. Nevada, in a daring attempt to reach the open sea through the channel, was torpedoed and her wary skipper grounded her on the right side of the harbor in order to keep the channel clear.

One destroyer in the floating dry dock on our starboard was hit and went on fire, burning right at the bridge.

Now to the casualties, and I write this with a heavy heart. On our own ship, the one bomb hit pierced the boat deck abreast of No. 7 A.A. gun and tore through the No. 9 case mate and down to the main deck. All this area exploded with vigor. The Marine division suffered the severest losses.

First Lieutenant Craig, standing near the three-inch gun, had both legs blown off and received other injuries; he died almost on the spot.

Doctor Rall, a lieutenant junior grade, and a pharmacist's mate were mangled and killed instantly. This information I received from one of the musicians, Andrew Lambert, who, standing near by, saw it happen and was shell-shocked. His fellow stretcher bearer, Musician S.W. Craig, survived with minor injuries.

I wandered around the dressing station, my eyes not believing what they saw. I gave a drink here and loosened an article of clothing there; there was not much else I could do.

Many were badly burned and screamed for relief of pain; they had already received drug injections, and a glass of water to the lips was in many cases the only human assistance possible."

g32511.jpg

pa_002_downes-cassin.jpg

Thank you, Gerry, for the well-written reminder.

Many people no longer understand, or remember.

"Before we're through with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell."
- Vice Admiral "Bull" Halsey from the USS Enterprise, upon entering Pearl Harbor after the attack.

The USS Enterprise would in turn exact her revenge on the Japanese...engaging them in more major battles than another ship, and becoming the most decorated ship in WWII...known as "The Grey Ghost" (She's my fav ship, and it's incredibly sad she wasn't saved after the war)

Back