OMG! Scary Landing!

To be fair though....the CRJ 200 wingtip is very low to the ground so of course in the 200 you needed to not sideslip too much. I think we were told 6 degrees was the max.

I like keeping it in a crab until maybe 100 feet then transition to a slip to see how much input will be needed on the ground. If it gets too crazy then taxiing is going to be a nightmare.

Looks like a crosswind landing and a correctly executed GA. However, we can't forget that this is probably not something the flying public is used to seeing. I know we all roll our eyes when the media gets it wrong, but I think we owe it to ourselves as professional pilots to take this video and use it as a way to educate people. The next time you are in a social setting and this video comes up, talk about crab angle, crosswind limits, and go-arounds so people understand more than what is being posted on Twitter. Which brings up a good point: if a passenger was so shaken up that he or she felt the need to write about never wanting to fly again, I want to know how the approach and landing was handled with those in the back. Was a P/A made to inform the pax about the unique style of landing? Did the passenger have a chance to talk to the flight crew about it afterwards? All questions that should be addressed because I am sure the last thing we all want after a flight is for a passenger to go posting on a website to "never fly 'X' airline again because their pilots don't know how to land!"

Back