Ricochet Landing - Family Demands $25k Each for Pain and Suffering

Aren't pilots covered under qualified immunity?

Yea, no...

Ask these people about immunity.

pardon-my-trump-1.jpg

Aren't pilots covered under qualified immunity?
No, we're not cops.

But I believe what you actually mean is, for example:
Spirit Airlines, Inc., shall indemnify, defend, and hold harmless each FAA-liscensed flight crew personnel in the employ of the Company, and the personal estates of such flight crew personnel, from and against any and all liabilities, losses, damages, claims, suits, judgments, and all expenses (including reasonable attorneys' fees) arising therefrom or related thereto for personal injury or death, or damage to property of any person whosoever, resulting from or arising out of any act or omission of such flight crew personnel during the authorized operation of any aircraft for the Company by any such personnel.

Yes, that is what I was thinking. Also I believe that ATC has some form of qualified immunity. Is that correct @NovemberEcho

sure ducking hope so. That said at Tyndall we had a DoD controller who was involved in a lawsuit from a crash victims family for years, but I don’t know if that was part of the DoD being sued or him personally. And Kolby’s family mentioned 2 controllers by name in their lawsuit.

"Do you guys know how many bad landings I've made since this flight? Try asking a butcher if he remembers a specific batch of ground chuck. At this point they're all blurred together."
I always find it funny that people think each landing is the culmination of skill of an aviator on full display, not navigating safely, legally, and efficiently from point A to point B. I mean, yeah, some people land better than others, but I doubt there is anyone on earth who doesn't have a crappy landing every so often. Unless you're flying an AA5B Grumman Tiger, that thing was so freggin easy to land I don't think I ever had a horrible clunker in it.

I’ve always had a thing for Sandra Oh.
Interesting, the girls I find most attractive are usually Asian and I never found her remotely attractive lol. But I hear that all the time, go figure.

I’m in a raffle drawing today for a Tiger so hopefully challenge accepted
I'm in the same raffle. When I win I'll let you fly it. And it's a Cheetah. My former club -5B was also the easiest aircraft to land I've ever flown as well.

And we definitely have QI as controllers.

Last edited:
I'm in the same raffle. When I win I'll let you fly it. And it's a Cheetah. My former club -5B was also the easiest aircraft to land I've ever flown as well.

And we definitely have QA as controllers.

ah damn you’re right it is a Cheetah. I knew that.

Yes, that is what I was thinking. Also I believe that ATC has some form of qualified immunity. Is that correct @NovemberEcho

No idea about piloting and ATC. Not the case with 911, however, and we could incur both personal financial liability and be prosecuted - generally not for “mistakes” but for omissions, failure to follow established good practice and procedure, and so forth. There are some 911 dispatchers who have done jail time in egregious cases and others who have been penalized financially in court decisions following a mishandled call that “went south.”

Back