What could possibly go wrong?

Conrad

www.avweb.com/aviation-news/pilots-hope-to-swap-planes-in-tv-stunt/

Two pilots will attempt to swap airplanes in flight in a made-for-TV stunt that will air live on April 24. According to the Hollywood Reporter, Red Bull Air Force member Luke Aikins and his cousin Andy Farrington will take a pair of Cessna 182s to 14,000 feet and push them into synchronized dives. The autopilots in the aircraft have been rigged to hold the aircraft in vertical dives with the help of custom air brakes that fold out from the belly, according to the showbiz publication. They will then cut the engines, exit their aircraft and maneuver to the other’s in time to restart the engines, recover from the dive and land. The stunt is called Plane Swap and will be covered live on Hulu in the U.S. and on Red Bull TV at 7 p.m. EDT on April 24.

“It’s the pinnacle of my career and my goal is to inspire the world and show that anything is possible,” said Aikins, whose name might ring a bell as the guy who did a freefall without a parachute into a big net for a live TV stunt in 2016. Farrington is also described as an experienced skydiver. “You can set your mind on something that at times seems wild, crazy and unattainable, but through ambition and creativity, you can make it happen,” Aikins told the publication.

The risk/reward ratio is really not worth it.

Succeed: "Wow you managed to not die." Most people don't care or care for the length of the video.

Fail: "Well, yeah, it was a stupid thing to do, dumbass"

There is no "Glory for the Empire" moments here, only possible failure.

Two pilots will attempt to swap airplanes in flight in a made-for-TV stunt
That’s one of the dumbest things I ever heard.

Remember the guy who was going jump the Grand Canyon on a motorcycle? Yea, it’s that dumb.

Where's that Adam Sandler movie GIF with making people actually dumber by actually listening to this? I hate all of this article, and became angrier at humanity by reading it.

Thanks for playing.

The risk/reward ratio is really not worth it.

Succeed: "Wow you managed to not die." Most people don't care or care for the length of the video.

Fail: "Well, yeah, it was a stupid thing to do, dumbass"

There is no "Glory for the Empire" moments here, only possible failure.
I feel like this can be applied to any risky behavior. Job or Entertainment. His bank account may disagree with your risk/reward ratio statement. The really disturbing thing about this is no one, and I mean no one will tune in to watch to see them succeed. Humans have a flare for the macabre.

*NSFW*

I feel like this can be applied to any risky behavior. Job or Entertainment. His bank account may disagree with your risk/reward ratio statement. The really disturbing thing about this is no one, and I mean no one will tune in to watch to see them succeed. Humans have a flare for the macabre.

*NSFW*

Yup. Sorta like in Phoenix where one SIMPLE pickup truck backing itself into a cruiser then taking off and pursued by police got FIVE (yes, FIVE!) news media helicopters. Two swapped paint, 4 total dead. All so the local Phoenix residents could watch a police chase in live time.

The linked article doesn't state whether or not they'll be wearing parachutes during the "stunt", so as far as I can reckon if it goes well no harm no foul. If it doesn't go as planned and they're wearing parachutes it'll be one or two crashed airplanes, if their not wearing chutes it'll be one or two smoking holes and at least one or two wet red spots in the desert. I have no issue with this, if that's what gets their rocks off and people want to watch so be it. I'd imagine we'll hear more about this attempt after the fact. I couldn't care less one way or the other.

Back