Pilot, 18, makes emergency landing on New Jersey bridge

Oxman

An 18-year-old pilot made an emergency landing on a New Jersey bridge Monday after his small banner plane experienced engine trouble.

Videos captured by local media showed the aircraft parked in the middle of traffic on the Route 52 Causeway, which connects Ocean City and Somers Point. The young pilot, identified as Landon Lucas, was not injured and the plane did not appear to be damaged, authorities said.

1626797405731.png

Lucas told officials he was flying for an aerial advertising company near Steel Pier in Atlantic City when he noticed an unknown issue with the aircraft’s engine, according to officials. He then dropped the banner into the ocean and looked for a gap in traffic so he could land, news station KYW reported.
Lucas landed a short time later without any incident — aside from traffic, which was backed up for miles as authorities investigated the scene and worked to remove the aircraft from the bridge.

1626797473933.png

Emergency responders talk with Landon Lucas, 18, a pilot flying for Paramount Air Service, after he made an emergency landing on the Route 52 causeway connecting Ocean City and Somers Point on Monday, July 19, 2021. No injuries were reported.

The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating the incident.

Yeah, it's in the comments.
"The aircraft ran out of fuel and this was 100% my responsibility at the end of the day. I did do my flight plan, checked fuel, and all necessary checks prior to leaving. It's also worth noting I've flown the same route with my instructor without refueling prior. So using this assumption and the fact I did my flight planning correctly I flew. This was the wrong decision and the biggest takeaway for me. I will get fuel going forward every time I land regardless of what gages state or distance. "

Yeah, it's in the comments.
"The aircraft ran out of fuel and this was 100% my responsibility at the end of the day. I did do my flight plan, checked fuel, and all necessary checks prior to leaving. It's also worth noting I've flown the same route with my instructor without refueling prior. So using this assumption and the fact I did my flight planning correctly I flew. This was the wrong decision and the biggest takeaway for me. I will get fuel going forward every time I land regardless of what gages state or distance. "

that would explain why he’s a student pilot with 80 hours per his Reddit comments.

Being a student pilot doesn't jive with the aircraft being operated in restricted category for aerial advertising, as well as it was towing a banner at the time and released the banner before landing.

If he is a student pilot, then he violated part of 61.89(a)(3), or he was violating 91.313 ?

(Edit: just saw that there are two different stories in this thread.)

An 18-year-old pilot made an emergency landing on a New Jersey bridge Monday after his small banner plane experienced engine trouble.

Videos captured by local media showed the aircraft parked in the middle of traffic on the Route 52 Causeway, which connects Ocean City and Somers Point. The young pilot, identified as Landon Lucas, was not injured and the plane did not appear to be damaged, authorities said.

View attachment 60007

Lucas told officials he was flying for an aerial advertising company near Steel Pier in Atlantic City when he noticed an unknown issue with the aircraft’s engine, according to officials. He then dropped the banner into the ocean and looked for a gap in traffic so he could land, news station KYW reported.
Lucas landed a short time later without any incident — aside from traffic, which was backed up for miles as authorities investigated the scene and worked to remove the aircraft from the bridge.

View attachment 60008
Emergency responders talk with Landon Lucas, 18, a pilot flying for Paramount Air Service, after he made an emergency landing on the Route 52 causeway connecting Ocean City and Somers Point on Monday, July 19, 2021. No injuries were reported.

The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating the incident.
Wait!?! A banner tow experiencing engine trouble?? What? What? What?!?

Being a student pilot doesn't jive with the aircraft being operated in restricted category for aerial advertising, as well as it was towing a banner at the time and released the banner before landing.
Despite your "con-fusion" of stories, you're clearly not "Woke" to today's aviation industry, brah! :)

Wait!?! A banner tow experiencing engine trouble?? What? What? What?!?

Despite your "con-fusion" of stories, you're clearly not "Woke" to today's aviation industry, brah! :)

That would be like saying a skydiving aircraft experiencing engine trouble? What? I had to dead stick a 206 once.

Back