OKC paycheck

I am very curious on this too if somebody can shed some light on this that knows. I am just trying to get an idea because I will be paying for living expenses in OKC and still need to pay a mortgage and bills back home in Denver.

I'm with you. The training is a huge pay cut and I'm juggling my finances to see if I can do it too.
Is the pay the same when you get to the facility after OKC?

I'm with you. The training is a huge pay cut and I'm juggling my finances to see if I can do it too.

i think alot of us are in this same boat, it is going to be hard supporting my family with twice the expenses on less money. But like they say you got to take a step back before we can move forward.

i think alot of us are in this same boat, it is going to be hard supporting my family with twice the expenses on less money. But like they say you got to take a step back before we can move forward.

yeah, but an 80% pay cut is a big nut to crack, but on the other hand I hate my job and need to do something else.
Luckily the S/O has a good job but I can only lean on her so much.

how quickly do you move up the scales to a normal, living wage?
I'm extra lucky to have two houses, one is rented out, luckily no car payments and a few things I can liquidate but the student loans are a KILLER.

yeah, but an 80% pay cut is a big nut to crack, but on the other hand I hate my job and need to do something else.
Luckily the S/O has a good job but I can only lean on her so much.

how quickly do you move up the scales to a normal, living wage?
I'm extra lucky to have two houses, one is rented out, luckily no car payments and a few things I can liquidate but the student loans are a KILLER.

Woo.... 80% cut, Brave!

https://employees.faa.gov/employee_services/pay_perf/pay/media/ATSPPpaybandswithlocality08Rev.xls

Click on the tab at the bottom for your metro-area... if it's not listed, click on "rus" (rest of US) the last one on the right. You get the "AG" rate (bottom row) and move up in the column for your facility's rating as you progress in training.

I'm making about $3516 a month here after taxes and including per diem. You move up once you get to your facility. The pay is 33,100 plus locality no matter the level of facility. Then you move up when you check out on certain positions. In general the higher the level of the facility, the longer it will take to move up.
Here is the pay scale in case you haven't seen it: https://employees.faa.gov/employee_s...o_locality.xls

I'm making about $3516 a month here after taxes and including per diem. You move up once you get to your facility. The pay is 33,100 plus locality no matter the level of facility. Then you move up when you check out on certain positions. In general the higher the level of the facility, the longer it will take to move up.
Here is the pay scale in case you haven't seen it: https://employees.faa.gov/employee_s...o_locality.xls

Thanks, very helpful, at least we now know a true number, and it will be easier to plan finances.

Not to hijack this thread too much. I just got a message from my buddy who started at ZDV in FEB08. He is telling me that the class I am in (30JUL) which will finish 02DEC is rumored that the 6 slated for ZDV from this class will go right into ERAM training. This will delay stage 2 which may delay the progress if the initial raise.

Anybody know if ERAM is affecting any of the other facilities in this way too?

Thanks for the feedback flyguy, it's great to get some actual numbers. But, how is going from $3516/mo (or $42,192 annually after tax) to $37,463 (before tax) at your assigned facility an increase? Luckily that's only for a year. The person at my PEPC that interviewed me actually said the rate at which you move up in levels is up to you. She said some individuals take up to 4 years, while others check out in as little as 2. Average being 3 years.

Don't get confused about per diem. Per diem is, and has always been considered travel money. The military pays it (I can make $1000 on an 11 day trip with the air force) and so do most other government agencies, but it is not considered pay. You start at 19,288/year and then go up to 37,463 (both include lowest locality) in "pay" but you lose the per diem since you're no longer traveling.

Semantics, I know. But in theory your expenses are higher when you're traveling, since you're paying for your residence at home AND your travel lodging. That's the idea behind per diem.

Don't get confused about per diem. Per diem is, and has always been considered travel money. The military pays it (I can make $1000 on an 11 day trip with the air force) and so do most other government agencies, but it is not considered pay. You start at 19,288/year and then go up to 37,463 (both include lowest locality) in "pay" but you lose the per diem since you're no longer traveling.

Semantics, I know. But in theory your expenses are higher when you're traveling, since you're paying for your residence at home AND your travel lodging. That's the idea behind per diem.

Yeah, that's true. I was just looking at the overall picture. But your right, the "salary" does indeed increase from training to your facility. I understand how it would be hard for those who have to cover at-home expenses and temporary residence during training. I'm just lucky that I won't have any at-home expenses. I'm hoping to use the majority of my extra pay during training to knock out some college debt as money will be really tight the first year at my facility. At least my living costs are relatively cheap where I got assigned.

The person at my PEPC that interviewed me actually said the rate at which you move up in levels is up to you. She said some individuals take up to 4 years, while others check out in as little as 2. Average being 3 years.

I think that in normal hiring scenarios, yes it would depend more on the individual, but with the current situation it is more likely to depend on the facility level, and iv they are already understaffed or not. i have heard that there are bottlenecks in the training process at most all facilities.
Too many trainees and not enough trainers.

Yeah, that's true. I was just looking at the overall picture. But your right, the "salary" does indeed increase from training to your facility. I understand how it would be hard for those who have to cover at-home expenses and temporary residence during training. I'm just lucky that I won't have any at-home expenses. I'm hoping to use the majority of my extra pay during training to knock out some college debt as money will be really tight the first year at my facility. At least my living costs are relatively cheap where I got assigned.
Are they stafford loans? If so, check out [thread=61060]this thread[/thread] and read from post #106 on page 5. Basically, the FAA may repay your student loans.

Are they stafford loans? If so, check out [thread=61060]this thread[/thread] and read from post #106 on page 5. Basically, the FAA may repay your student loans.

I noticed that but unfortunately these are the extra living expenses, etc. that fell onto credit cards. Thankfully I'm doing a good job paying them off so far with 50% knocked out in the past 6 months. Cut them up since then and just have an AMEX charge that I have to pay off every month in full.

Your math confuses me... (1108x2)+(730x2) = 3676 Where did you get 4432?

From what I've calculated, after 20% tax on the base salary and tax-free per diem, monthly salary total will be $3662.20.

SALARY
Base Salary: $19293 annually (includes 13.18% locality) / 12mo. / 4wks. / 40hrs. = $10.05/hr.
$10.05*8hrs*10days*80% = $643.10 bi-weekly salary

PER DIEM
Daily: $79.20
$79.20*15days = $1188.00 bi-weekly per diem

COMBINED
bi-weekly = $643.10 + 1188.00 = $1831.10 bi-weekly
monthly = $1831.10 x 2 = $3662.20 monthly

Not to be a Nazi, but the division of 4wks/month is slightly skewed.
52 weeks * 40hrs/week = 2080 work hours/yr

SALARY
Base Salary: $19,293 annually (includes 13.18% locality) / 2080hrs = $9.28/hr.
$9.28 * 8hrs * 10days * 80% = $593.92 bi-weekly salary

PER DIEM
Daily: $79.20
$79.20 * 15days = $1,188.00 bi-weekly per diem

COMBINED
bi-weekly = $593.92 + 1,188.00 = $1,781.92 bi-weekly
monthly = $1,781.92 * 2 = $3,563.84 NET monthly

Also, is the per diem paid when you're in OKC, or just while you're at the academy (5/6 days/wk)?

EDIT

That's if it's considered hourly pay. If it's actual salary, then it'd be

SALARY
Base Salary: $19,293 annually (includes 13.18% locality) / 26 bi-week paychecks * 80% = $593.63/Bi-wk
COMBINED
bi-weekly = $593.63 + 1,188.00 = $1,781.63 bi-weekly
$1,781.63 * 2 = $3,563.26 NET monthly

>>>Please don't take this as being an ###, I'm just numerically anal in general :D

Not to hijack this thread too much. I just got a message from my buddy who started at ZDV in FEB08. He is telling me that the class I am in (30JUL) which will finish 02DEC is rumored that the 6 slated for ZDV from this class will go right into ERAM training. This will delay stage 2 which may delay the progress if the initial raise.

Anybody know if ERAM is affecting any of the other facilities in this way too?

ERAM is affecting all centers. CPC's gotta learn the system before trainees do.

And I thought of a great idea that I'm going to do. I"m staying at a campground for the majority of the schooling. Depending on my actual school dates. One week's per diem will pay for all the supplies I need. I'm getting a big tent and a decent TV. I've got a laptop and an Xbox360 so I'll be good to go. Money money money!! (In my pocket!)

And I thought of a great idea that I'm going to do. I"m staying at a campground for the majority of the schooling. Depending on my actual school dates. One week's per diem will pay for all the supplies I need. I'm getting a big tent and a decent TV. I've got a laptop and an Xbox360 so I'll be good to go. Money money money!! (In my pocket!)
Better hope it doesn't snow.

Dude-that's hilarious! Not a horrible idea-when will you be out there? If there is severe weather you can crash with me. If you play Madden maybe we can start a group to play some football.

Back