Oh SWA…how many is this?

Nothing.

Looking at this from the Flight Standards perspective, it appears they're having issues that most airline have, it's just that there is a microscope on them at the moment.

All Airbus pilots at SouthernJets: "Why are we saying SRS Verified?" "Because some 737 crew almost descended a jet into a farm when they got confused"

Nothing.

Looking at this from the Flight Standards perspective, it appears they're having issues that most airline have, it's just that there is a microscope on them at the moment.

All Airbus pilots at SouthernJets: "Why are we saying SRS Verified?" "Because some 737 crew almost descended a jet into a farm when they got confused"

You mean it isn’t verifying the air bags are armed? :)

Nothing.

Some people say that crew is still waiting for the 737's SRS to activate.

Do you not read all your FMAs and check them anyway?

Of course, but this was before our alignment with Airbus.

A 737 supposedly went around on approach, didn't understand the mode they were in and basically didn't realize the FD bars weren't, well, directing and "at a very low altitude" realized that there aren't a lot of houses on the missed approach procedure finally entered a climb.

Some snicker at SWA's issues, however...

Same… err, similar. My brain is weird and I have to literally try to forget things. I'll start out by using my last flights callsign. Like it was 171 on the way back over, I'll head to Shanghai this weekend and it'll be "1-7-0, I mean SouthernJets 3-8-9" for at least seven of those 13 hours and it's literally on the top of the MFD staring at me"

I’m always amused when somebody asks what flight we were going through customs or something. Said it 100 times over the last 8–17 hours but have to look it up on my schedule.

A 737 supposedly went around on approach, didn't understand the mode they were in and basically didn't realize the FD bars weren't, well, directing and "at a very low altitude" realized that there aren't a lot of houses on the missed approach procedure finally entered a climb.

Hmmm. Missed approach. Place aircraft somewhere in the blue (upper) portion of the ADI. Seems simple enough. :)

I'd always forget TOGA in the sim. I had good survival instincts. Pitch up to climb pitch attitude and manually add thrust. Then the instructor would yell "TOGA" and I was "oh year". The the command bars would go right where my pitch was anyways and the autothrottles would start working.

I'd always forget TOGA in the sim. I had good survival instincts. Pitch up to climb pitch attitude and manually add thrust. Then the instructor would yell "TOGA" and I was "oh year". The the command bars would go right where my pitch was anyways and the autothrottles would start working.

How dare you try to actually fly the airplane!

I’m surprised the 737 flight director hasn’t killed many more. During initial training an instructor was explaining how stand off mode on the 737 flight director worked.

The only response I could muster was “Why would anyone make a flight director that intentionally tells pilots the wrong guidance, when they need good guidance the most?”

I just did that a few short hours ago. Windshear escape maneuver. Executed appropriately but never clicked TOGA. Everything went fine except modes weren’t correct at level off.

I’m surprised the 737 flight director hasn’t killed many more. During initial training an instructor was explaining how stand off mode on the 737 flight director worked.

The only response I could muster was “Why would anyone make a flight director that intentionally tells pilots the wrong guidance, when they need good guidance the most?”
What is stand off mode?

If you get far enough out of sorts on an ILS it stops telling you to go toward the LOC and just appears as if you’re on the LOC 🤷‍♂️
It’s not a problem if you stay coordinated, which would be a lot easier if the slip skid indicator wasn’t useless and you didn’t have to rely on keeping the yoke level.

Back