Oh base closure. Again.

I only mean for logistics of family behind. Best case scenario is fly Friday evening home, back Sunday evening. We’re already alone with no family network in California.

Suppose it’s inevitable, switching to Boeing.

Honestly it hasn’t been too terrible so far. The M-F deal only lasts up until procedures training, then it switches to longer breaks in between lessons (I have 5 days off coming up in between sims). If you can stomach them, the early shifts are usually done by 10am, sometimes earlier, so it makes catching a commute home easier. The wife and kid came up for one weekend too, so that made it more palate-able.

My biggest gripe so far is the hotel. Right on International Blvd isn’t exactly the greatest area. I can only eat at Sharp’s so many times...

The training program itself is very well established and makes the Airbus training look like a doctorate program comparatively. They really do set you up for success and you’d have to really try to wash out.

That said, I know it won’t be any easier being forced into a plane you didn’t bid for as well as possibly a new base too. Being away from home and family for so long sucks and commuting back and forth doesn’t make it much better. Not to mention the (possible) QOL and schedule hit once training is finished. Unfortunately I just don’t think the Airbus has a long term future at Alaska so it does seem inevitable that everyone will end up over here anyway.

I also didn’t realize just how true the “Gig Harbor bubble” stereotype is around these parts until I started training. Seriously, it’s like EVERY single one! When I say that I don’t live in SEA, I get weird glances and mostly, “Oh wow! So any plans to move then?” It really is a completely different airline up here.

The 737 transition was the most boring airline training I've done. The hotel was terrible for walking anywhere. Luckily the class was great and someone had a mini van to mosh in.

I also didn’t realize just how true the “Gig Harbor bubble” stereotype is around these parts until I started training. Seriously, it’s like EVERY single one! When I say that I don’t live in SEA, I get weird glances and mostly, “Oh wow! So any plans to move then?” It really is a completely different airline up here.
You have to live on Fox Island.

my buddy(at compass and lives in Seattle) is interviewing soon(next month?not sure) his questions were,
based on whats going on:
Junior base?
Upgrade time?

those are moving targets but he has offers at F9 and Spirit but (of course) wants to stay in Seattle.

my buddy(at compass and lives in Seattle) is interviewing soon(next month?not sure) his questions were,
based on whats going on:
Junior base?
Upgrade time?

those are moving targets but he has offers at F9 and Spirit but (of course) wants to stay in Seattle.

LAX was junior before they decided to close the Bus base. Most recent bid had a junior captain around 4 years and 9 months.

Sooooo, if hired and he got LAX he’d quit?
1583275338384.png

Seattle going to get 75 CAs and 75 FOs in the new Bus base over the next 3 bids. All that coming out of Airbus LAX. My gut feeling is LA is about to become “senior” as junior guys get displaced out. After these three bids, LAX Bus would still be 100 crews that need further displacing. Hopefully the MAX will be up and running and they can add more Boeing LAX positions. Otherwise, LAX will be the most senior base after SEA as another 200 pilots are thrown out of LA.

If you are new and want Seattle, you’ll be fine.

Seattle going to get 75 CAs and 75 FOs in the new Bus base over the next 3 bids. All that coming out of Airbus LAX. My gut feeling is LA is about to become “senior” as junior guys get displaced out. After these three bids, LAX Bus would still be 100 crews that need further displacing. Hopefully the MAX will be up and running and they can add more Boeing LAX positions. Otherwise, LAX will be the most senior base after SEA as another 200 pilots are thrown out of LA.

If you are new and want Seattle, you’ll be fine.
i passed on the info, he's coming to F9 unless he gets the CJO from alaska or Delta calls....thanks.

He should be going to either Frontier or Spirit before he even considers Alaska, whether he lives in Seattle or not.
Probably won’t matter, I’m pretty surprised Alaska still has the latest group of new hires in class given the virus hysteria. Hard to believe they’ll bring on anymore until things get sorted out.

He should be going to either Frontier or Spirit before he even considers Alaska, whether he lives in Seattle or not.
Probably won’t matter, I’m pretty surprised Alaska still has the latest group of new hires in class given the virus hysteria. Hard to believe they’ll bring on anymore until things get sorted out.

Not to throw a wet blanket over a fire, but airlines don’t make decisions on “virus hysteria”, they’re looking at precipitous drops in demand.

Back