Odd Flying Habits

Cris

flying bus driver
Trying to see if I am going crazy or not...

Anybody have flying habits that get to them when they aren’t flying?

I find myself with my other hand always on the shifter in my car, which isn’t even a manual. When I have to stop quickly I even reach my hand for the reversers that aren’t there. Also sometimes I reach my hand up above me to turn on my headlights.

Checking the weather when I don’t fly....Starting to put a uniform on an off day.... the list continues.

Last edited:

I find myself with my other hand always on the shifter in my car, which isn’t even an automatic. When I have to stop quickly I even reach my hand for the reversers that aren’t there. Also sometimes I reach my hand up above me to turn on my headlights.

Checking the weather when I don’t fly....Starting to put a uniform on an off day.... the list continues.

Resting your hand on the shifter of a manual transmission is a bad idea. You'll accelerate the wear on internal components. Keep both hands on the wheel, your car will than you and your control will be better.

As always, keep right except to pass.

Resting your hand on the shifter of a manual transmission is a bad idea. You'll accelerate the wear on internal components. Keep both hands on the wheel, your car will than you and your control will be better.

As always, keep right except to pass.

Typo on my part, I drive an automatic.

I find myself with my other hand always on the shifter in my car, which isn’t even a manual. When I have to stop quickly I even reach my hand for the reversers that aren’t there. Also sometimes I reach my hand up above me to turn on my headlights.

They say one in four is a nut. Look at three of your friends, if they're okay it must be you.

Sort of related although it happens at work, muting the mic when I go to cough even though we're sitting at the gate without headsets on.

Spent a lot of time flying robinson helicopters. Mast bumping is a huge concern of mine. While flying fixed wing in turbulence I find myself pulling back on the yoke to "load the rotor" when I hit a significant wave.

Also find when flying with fixed wing students reaching for the collective as we approach the ground for landing. That one got pretty annoying. Literally every single time as we are starting to flare I would find myself reaching down with my left hand for the collective. Those that knew I taught helicopters got a good laugh out of it.

Be in a car full of pilots.

Have evil grinchy plan.

Say "Clear left!"

Giggle at results. ;)

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Once upon a time back in the dawn of hybrid automobiles... there were 4 +7500hr pilots who wanted to go to lunch. They piled into the crew car - a Prius. None of them knew how to get the thing started. :cool:
I struggled with that myself, and once I got it started I couldn't make it go.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Reaching for my pen on my left shoulder. Checking aviation weather meaninglessly. Checking my retirement countdown app more often than I check the weather.

Years ago I tried to "rotate" my car while accelerating to the highway. Had a momentary panic attack when the "yoke" wouldnt move.

Back