NTSB - Preliminary Report A350 v. CRJ (ATL)

I’d say “Seatbelts sign off, engines off” and people would lose their cookies because, culturally, even though we use very exact words on switches and levers with everything else, “Let UMMM up, shut UMMM down” is somehow standard text, but I’m the weirdo for speaking direct to the switch position command.
Whatever you say after parking brake set (goddamn it brakes are set, not on)/on will almost certainly result in a seatbelt selector/switch and fuel control/engine master/start levers moving, I would guess.

My favorite malapropism for it is actually “let ‘em down, shut ‘em up,” which I still chuckle at a year+ on. Along with “Fuel required?” “Probably?” *smirk* *smirk*

Whatever you say after parking brake set (goddamn it brakes are set, not on)/on will almost certainly result in a seatbelt selector/switch and fuel control/engine master/start levers moving, I would guess.

Sometimes you don't even have to say a word. Made for a fun 2 minutes waiting for ground power to be connected in a dark plane after the FO shut down both engines after I said "parking brake set" in a plane with no APU. Welcome to Nashville everyone!

My favorite malapropism for it is actually “let ‘em down, shut ‘em up,” which I still chuckle at a year+ on. Along with “Fuel required?” “Probably?” *smirk* *smirk*

Can't wait to hear what comes out of my mouth in a few days after having nearly a month off!

Sometimes you don't even have to say a word. Made for a fun 2 minutes waiting for ground power to be connected in a dark plane after the FO shut down both engines after I said "parking brake set" in a plane with no APU. Welcome to Nashville everyone!
APU inoperative? No puedo hacerlo.

Can't wait to hear what comes out of my mouth in a few days after having nearly a month off!
No specific phraseology is required.

There ya go, it was something that didn’t make any sense.

I ha ha haaaaaaaaaaate colloquialisms, I’m admittedly the outlier and weird about it.

I’d say “Seatbelts sign off, engines off” and people would lose their cookies because, culturally, even though we use very exact words on switches and levers with everything else, “Let UMMM up, shut UMMM down” is somehow standard text, but I’m the weirdo for speaking direct to the switch position command.

Don’t get caught saying “Let THEM up, shut THEM down” or any more or less colloquial than that or you’ll get roasted.

I digress.
Fewer syllables…

I just came back after a month. We sat there for a loooong 5s with the FO looking at me until I said “Oh yeah, let ‘em up and shut ‘em down!” 😂

Something something normalization of deviance

Yes, I do respond to "let em up, shut em down," also to the lesser used "swap, chop, let em up, let em in" though I don't like that one as much. Too much talking.

I had to tell a dude at Eagle that eventually some new FO was going to shut down both engines on taxi in. He kept saying it.
Happened at SJI to a Capt I flew with…”when you upgrade, be very clear about shutting down an engine on taxi in…I had an FO shut them both down because he took 2 literally”

Happened at SJI to a Capt I flew with…”when you upgrade, be very clear about shutting down an engine on taxi in…I had an FO shut them both down because he took 2 literally”

We don’t park at terminals/jetways with our 73s, just at FBO or ramp open spots. One of our pilots likes to shut down both on short final coast-in about 20 feet or so to where the marshaller is signaling. Told him, you’re going to bite yourself in the butt one of these days, when given a stop signal, then a further move forward signal. Low and behold……..

Airbus OEM has the pilot flying start and stop the engines as well as control the seatbelt sign.

The Flight Standards meeting is this week, in fact I’m on a jet headed there now and there’s going to be an OEM discussion.

I can easily see them “forgetting” to mention that or “OH yeah, we’re not changing THAT, but the rest, of course!”

I really wish Airbus would just send a team over instead of us sending over a rep, potentially with his own ulterior motives, to learn and then divulge to the group at large.

We do some very peculiar and weird things on the 350 because “Science! Statistics!” But no one’s actually seen either.

Back