Non-aviation, supplemental second jobs for airline pilots

888Airman

Hello all,

In light of the covid 19 crisis of 2020 and 2021, large numbers of airline pilots were either furloughed, terminated, or had their paid flight hours reduced. Prior to this tragic crisis, pilots were routinely dismissed, almost like negligible dead-weight, whenever economic downturns struck. Then there are some new hire pilots flying as "starving aviators" because of woefully low wages. Against this unpredictable landscape, second jobs appear to be a necessity, not a luxury. In addition, non-aviation second jobs seem to be the best options in many cases.

What sorts of supplemental non-aviation second jobs do full time aviators pursue (that allow for flexibility around their aviation careers and family demands)?

Hello all,

In light of the covid 19 crisis of 2020 and 2021, large numbers of airline pilots were either furloughed, terminated, or had their paid flight hours reduced. Prior to this tragic crisis, pilots were routinely dismissed, almost like negligible dead-weight, whenever economic downturns struck. Then there are some new hire pilots flying as "starving aviators" because of woefully low wages. Against this unpredictable landscape, second jobs appear to be a necessity, not a luxury. In addition, non-aviation second jobs seem to be the best options in many cases.

What sorts of supplemental non-aviation second jobs do full time aviators pursue (that allow for flexibility around their aviation careers and family demands)?

In the US very few airline pilots were furloughed, terminated, or had their schedules greatly reduced due to covid. In fact, with a few exceptions, none of the majors furloughed at all, and the regionals that did quickly brought people back thanks to the US government handing out almost $54 billion in aid. Also, (again, in the US) in the past few years, a combination of increased payrates and large onboarding bonuses have made the first few years at an airline more than survivable. The days of $19,000 probationary years are pretty much gone, and have been for some time, again with a few exceptions.

That said, many guys still have second (and third) gigs. The common ones are real-estate and financial planning/home mortgages. Less common ones include sports coaching or refereeing, charter boat captaining, and substitute teaching. I think often times guys do these things more so because they have a ton of time off, and less so that they need the money.

RE license…it’s like taking an FAA written, and it a type of work that a lot of pilots take to easily.

If you’ve got semi-decent people skills, you can make a killing in RE.

This guy, 787 Captain by day. Owns a Cessna 182 which he uses to instruct Instrument students out of Fullerton.

1654446984753.png

If you have a Masters in something teach online for a community college - I’ve been doing it for over 10 years

Tried doing that, but can't seem to find a school that offers online. Seems that they want both online and in classroom.

Tried doing that, but can't seem to find a school that offers online. Seems that they want both online and in classroom.
I know someone who teaches online at Liberty University, and it's all online. And Delta State University (Cleveland, MS) has some classes that are taught by professors who are in California. For what it's worth.

I know someone who teaches online at Liberty University, and it's all online. And Delta State University (Cleveland, MS) has some classes that are taught by professors who are in California. For what it's worth.
Riddle is pretty much all online.

I'll have to check out Liberty, never knew they had an aviation program.
Riddle is pretty much all online.

Unfortunately, my MS only goes so far. They want a Ph.D.

I'll have to check out Liberty, never knew they had an aviation program.

Unfortunately, my MS only goes so far. They want a Ph.D.

Liberty has a VERY healthy online aviation program. About half the students at my flight school are Liberty students.

Purdue Global online does the same.

Back